Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Restaurant workers give their list of pet peeves
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Restaurant workers give their list of pet peeves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Restaurant workers give their list of pet peeves
    Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 9:35am

Restaurant workers give us their list of doltish diners

By Elisa Ung
Record Columnist
The Record
Managers, servers and bartenders brought up plenty of peeves about customers.
AP FILE PHOTO
Managers, servers and bartenders brought up plenty of peeves about customers.

Whatever you do, don't ask Nicole Ponti, "What is your real job?"

Ponti, 23, a bartender at a restaurant in Clifton, loves the restaurant industry so much that she is studying hospitality management at the Institute of Culinary Education. When rude customers pipe up, she tells them bartending is how she's helping pay for her education. But sometimes she feels like asking them how they would be drinking bloody marys if she wasn't standing behind the bar at a supposedly fake job.

Over the last few weeks, we've discussed the pet peeves we diners have about restaurants. But managers, servers and bartenders who wrote to me brought up plenty of peeves about customers.

Guests who complain not when problems can be fixed, but after they have finished the meal and are looking for a freebie. It seems obvious, but don't eat out if you're not willing to pay for it. "We are trained to go up to every guest after two bites or one minute and ask how everything is," said Ponti, a former server. "The guest has the opportunity to tell me. If the servers care about their job, they also do not want the guests to eat things they do not enjoy."

BYOB customers who take advantage. First of all, just because you can bring your own wine to a restaurant doesn't mean you can bring your own tea, soda and cake, all of which have been carted in by the customers of a waitress at a high-end Bergen County BYOB who identified herself as Chris.

Chris added, "A lot of times, customers will bring multiple bottles of wine, champagne and beer to be opened, which is very time-consuming" and often requires several types of glasses. "Which is fine, if they would only take this into consideration when they tip; after all, when they dine in a restaurant with a liquor license, they tip on the wine they purchase."

No-shows. This is of particular issue in smaller, high-end restaurants that make most of their money on weekends – lose one Saturday night table and they may have lost the evening's profits. "Have the decency to cancel at least 24 hours in advance," Chris wrote. "It is mean to the house and the servers as they all lose money when this happens last minute."

Coupon users who tip inappropriately. So you come in with a Groupon, or a gift certificate, and get $50 off the tab. The right thing to do is to tip on the full amount of the check before the discount – after all, the server still had to serve the whole meal. "I am still giving the same service, and it doesn't mean now that the customer can tip on the new discounted price," said Fabian Pattarroyo, who said he has worked as both a server and a manager in numerous restaurants.

(I can attest to the fact that this is easy to do accidentally, when you're distracted while signing your check – I once called a restaurant back and asked them to add an additional tip to the credit card.)

Customers who aren't ready to order. And instead of saying, "Give us a few minutes," they ask the waitress to stand there while they hem and haw over the pasta versus the steak. "That's not to say part of my role isn't to help navigate the menu," wrote one server at a high-end Bergen County American restaurant. "But too often, I'm stuck simply waiting for them without being of any use. That's rude to me, and more importantly, to other customers. Minutes can seem like eons when you're waiting for your food, so every second counts for servers."

Ponti, the Clifton bartender often responsible for taking to-go orders, deals with customers who call unprepared. "Imagine the bar two rows deep, with two bartenders on, and one of us waiting to take your to-go order while you ask every person in your family what they would like to eat. Meanwhile, I have 70 faces looking at me."

Playing with plates. The Bergen County American restaurant server begged customers not to stack their empty plates, saying it's not as helpful as it seems. "First of all, it doesn't look nice. The table next to you doesn't want to feel like they're eating next to the dishwasher. But there's also a pragmatic reason that diners might not realize: It makes it more difficult for bussers and servers to clear the table for the simple reason that patrons don't stack well…. When we see a stack in the middle, we know that we're going to have to lift that precarious Jenga of plates up over the glasses with the hope that something doesn't decide to fall on somebody's lap."

Not leaving when you're done. Particularly if you have an early weekend reservation and are done with dessert and coffee. This is a big problem for BYOBs that cannot simply send customers to the bar. "If you are the type of party that likes to linger and take your time, do yourself and us a favor and come on a weeknight or Sunday or even consider the last seating," Chris wrote.

But when the restaurant is closed, leave. "Just like everyone else, we have lives and families," Pattarroyo wrote.

"Don't touch me. Period." So wrote one of our servers. This should go without saying, right?

- See more at: http://www.northjersey.com/food-and-dining-news/dining-news/ung-restaurant-workers-give-us-their-list-of-doltish-diners-1.939107#sthash.EK0gbNSS.7RfSB4Gh.dpuf
Sponsored Links

ShadyLady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ShadyLady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 12:00pm
Guests who complain not when problems can be fixed, but after they have finished the meal and are looking for a freebie. It seems obvious, but don't eat out if you're not willing to pay for it. "We are trained to go up to every guest after two bites or one minute and ask how everything is," said Ponti, a former server. "The guest has the opportunity to tell me. If the servers care about their job, they also do not want the guests to eat things they do not enjoy."

I can see why that would be frustrating.

I have an associate who does this...eats most to all the damn food then tries to haggle cuz it supposedly wasn't seasoned well or cold.

Brjasuga51 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Brjasuga51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 12:17pm
And I thought stacking the empty plates would help... guess not.
femmefatale85 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmefatale85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 12:27pm
ive never been to a byob place

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 2:40pm
we're guilty of not leaving when we're done.  If the place needs the table though, we are considerate of that. We will move the party to the parking lot and continue visiting for another hour or 2, on some Never Can Say Goodbye 'ish, LOL
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 2:44pm

when we had special Anniversary glasses (I broke 'em last yearCry) we would take them to the restaurant with us to have our traditional anniversary toast if we were out of town.   Strange...those glasses traveled with us for years (in planes, trains, and automobilesLOL) and I broke them on the counter right here at the houseLOL

eta: we may have brought a cake to a restaurant for a party before; but other than that, we don't bring stuff to restaurant either

Edited by PurplePhase - Apr 13 2014 at 2:44pm
herwoman View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herwoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by PurplePhase PurplePhase wrote:

we're guilty of not leaving when we're done.  If the place needs the table though, we are considerate of that. We will move the party to the parking lot and continue visiting for another hour or 2, on some Never Can Say Goodbye 'ish, LOL
X
My family all day long!
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 4:23pm
Im guilty of sitting and talking for a hour or two after we are done eating...

oh well...

I mean if they need the table I will gladly leave, but if not I'm staying as long as I feel like it...
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 4:32pm
didn't know you could bring your own wine to a restaurant. 

guess i'll stop staking plates. thought i was being helpful lol. 

Nijjah25 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nijjah25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2014 at 4:57pm
i agree with everything. esp the complaints after you finished your meal/drink.

the stacking plates...is stupid..it is very helpful if you know your shapes...

maybe they are saying people stack incorrectly so it's leaning?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic