Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Republican's POTUS & Hollywood dont mix

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Republican's POTUS & Hollywood dont mix
    Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 2:34pm
Commandos in Chief: Do Democrats Inspire Ass-Kicking Movie Presidents?

Go ahead and blame it on the welfare-loving, tax-adoring, war-averse liberals of Hollywood (if you're Newt Gingrich, that is) but the observation is true: all kick-ass President movies—that is films in which the POTUS literally kicks ass—have been released during Democratic presidencies.

Air Force One 1997

The classic Air Force One—you know, the one where the leader of the free world (a brutishly handsome Harrison Ford) rage-spits "GET OFF MY PLANE" before jump-kicking some terrorist schmuck into the stratosphere—came out in '97, during Clinton's second term. Same with Roland Emmerich's other White House-destroying action flick, Independence Day. Perhaps there was something about Clinton's spring chicken-ness and sprightliness that inspired our collective consciousness to fantasize of a young, able-bodied Chief who could defend our turf with his own two fists? It's a leap, but then again, try imagining and old fart like George H.W. knocking out a Russian terrorist with a bazooka gun and suddenly it seems less tenuous.

Independence day 1996

There was a notable absence of President-heros during Bush "Is our children learning?" Jr.'s two long terms, but already Obama has seen three President action movies released in his five years in office. (Those are: White House Down, FDR: American Badass, Abe Lincoln: Vampire Slayer.) Even more notable: Samuel L. Jackson is set to play Obama himself in the upcoming Big Game, in which the POTUS teams up with a 13-year-old kid to defeat terrorists who've taken over the country. A President hero movie about the current President in office? That takes our nation's Obamania (52% approval rating!) to a whole new crazily literal level.

What explains this phenomenon? Frankly, I don't know. But here's my guess: we can only stomach cheeky action movies in which our President's life is at peril during times of peace. And in the last two decades at least, the majority of peace-y time has been under Democratic reign.

That said, if Nate Silver wants to take a stab at this one, I'm all ears.

Edited by afrokock - Jul 21 2013 at 2:35pm
Sponsored Links

DiorShowGirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiorShowGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2013 at 2:56pm
i guess pretty soon before the Obama's term is up there will be a movie with the FLOTUS an african american who will save something, someone, kids get kidnapped she saves them ......

good call never really noticed any movies that has a theme with a POTUS..
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 2:21am
I vaguely remember that season of 24 where they had a black president--I can't remember how much of a role he had but that was during Bush's term I think...
bindy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bindy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 2:50am
In White House Down Jamie Fox plays a black president. I saw it a week ago. It was good.

White House Down
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 2:58am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

Even more notable: Samuel L. Jackson is set to play Obama himself in the upcoming Big Game, in which the POTUS teams up with a 13-year-old kid to defeat terrorists who've taken over the country.
Why do i have a feeling Samuel L is going to have a ball playing this role? "I'm the muthafcukin' president!"LOL

ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 3:01am
not enough films listed in this article to consider it a phenomenon.

Olympus Has Fallen also had a president that proved to be more than a helpless bureaucrat but they didn't list it, why?  It must be because we got our asses kicked by North Korea the entire movie.  that movie was just ridiculous.

eta:  author also didn't take the climate of the country after 9/11 into account.

Edited by ms_wonderland - Jul 22 2013 at 3:06am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 3:25am
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

I vaguely remember that season of 24 where they had a black president--I can't remember how much of a role he had but that was during Bush's term I think...
yep, 24,

the happening

and something else.

and 24 had two black presidents if i recall, dude from the unit and malcolm from single ladies

at wonder, yes that may be true, i also think there were a couple of other movies during rethuglican eras, but there def more war movies during rethuglican eras than democrats
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 10:52am
I notice in every end of the world movie the Potus is black.........
Cocoa View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cocoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 22 2013 at 11:47am
Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

I notice in every end of the world movie the Potus is black.........

LMAO...Fifth Element.  I cant imagine him winning through votes.... musta been a coup...LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply