FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

repost? two babies left in the car, dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>

Author
K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: repost? two babies left in the car, dead
    Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:23am

So Sad: Two Babies Dead After 23-Year-Old Single Mother Leaves Them In Car While She Worked

22438859_BG1-square(1)

This is a real tragic tale

Kids Dead After Mom Left Them In Car While She Worked

Via HuffPo reports:

In a barely audible voice, 23-year-old Brittney R. Downing for the first time Wednesday publicly admitted guilt in the deaths of her two children, a baby daughter 3 months old and a son, 20 months, who was the first to die.

The former high school academic standout and scholarship college student showed little emotion in a Henrico County Circuit Court proceeding that lasted barely 30 minutes.

But her lawyer, Vaughan Jones, said after court that a three-hour sentencing hearing in March, which could bring Downing up to 25 years in prison, “will reveal a heartbreaking ordeal for everyone involved.”

Downing, who remained free on $130,000 bond Wednesday, was a devoted, caring mother, Jones said, who adored her children and fatally tried to balance her independence as a single mother, her need for work and an inability to find help with child care in May last year.

Henrico Commonwealth’s Attorney Shannon Taylor told the court Wednesday that the two children were kept in a locked car in the parking lot of a Henrico hotel where Downing worked and that, despite moderate temperatures that did not exceed 73 degrees outside, the children’s body temperatures reached levels that caused their brains to swell and bring on severe neurological distress.

Downing’s son, Jelani, 20 months, apparently was dead by the time Downing reached her home that Sunday, May 26, after work.

Downing’s infant daughter, Jade, died four days later while on life support at a hospital. The infant survived longer because her skull, which had not fully formed, was better able to accommodate her swelling brain, Taylor said.

Taylor called the pleas to involuntary manslaughter charges, reduced from felony murder indictments carrying up to 40 years each, appropriate given the circumstances of the case.

She said she sympathizes with Downing’s predicament but said Downing also showed a reckless disregard for the welfare of the children and is responsible for their deaths.

Downing also faces a child endangerment charge stemming from her admission that she had on a previous occasion left the infant in the car alone at the same hotel. She had begun working there just days before the May 26 incident.

“What happened in court is justifiable given the facts of this case,” Taylor said. The plea agreement leaves Taylor free to ask that the maximum allowable punishment be imposed.

You have to feel bad for this woman. Young with kids, no help or too embarrassed or proud to ask for it. The state won’t help with child care unless you are jobless and looking. What would you do?

- See more at: http://bossip.com/893519/so-sad-two-babies-dead-after-23-year-old-single-mother-left-them-in-car-while-she-worked/#sthash.hj2SUKl0.dpuf

Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:31am
I do not pity this woman. She left those two babies in a damn car unsupervised! The sympathetic tone of this article is disturbing.

It's one thing to juggle school and home life and another to put that home life in danger and she clearly did the latter and is paying for it now.
K_Camille View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote K_Camille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

I do not pity this woman. She left those two babies in a damn car unsupervised! The sympathetic tone of this article is disturbing.

It's one thing to juggle school and home life and another to put that home life in danger and she clearly did the latter and is paying for it now.

I agree.  I was bothered by that and meant to post a disclaimer because I do not share that sentiment.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:56am
i feel bad for her. she was only on the job 3 days and probably was afraid to call out and wasnt thinking straight.  no one wants to take care of small children and the ones who do wont do it unless they can throw in a couple of jabs about how you shouldve never gotten pregnant in the first place. 
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 7:57am
A 3 month old?

Poor kids, they had to suffer as they died. She needs to be charged w/murder...
danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote danieb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:06am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i feel bad for her. she was only on the job 3 days and probably was afraid to call out and wasnt thinking straight.  no one wants to take care of small children and the ones who do wont do it unless they can throw in a couple of jabs about how you shouldve never gotten pregnant in the first place. 

I do too. Seems like a desperate situation and she probably thought 73 degrees wasn't hot enough for the car to overheat and cause a heat stroke.

However, I do think she should go to jail. Not for murder though, for manslaughter and child neglect.

Those poor babies

Edited by danieb23 - Jan 15 2014 at 8:08am
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:11am

Well she did have 2 kids in under 2 years...We aren't talking about a 16 y/o here, but a 23 year old college woman.  Society encourages this "do you" attitude instead of a "be responsible" one.  Leaving your infants in a car is never acceptable.  If she did have the means of childcare and didn't take it because of some potential jabs, she's wrong and kids are dead.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:12am
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

I do too. Seems like a desperate situation and she probably thought 73 degrees wasn't hot enough for the car to overheat and cause a heat stroke.

However, I do think she should go to jail. Not for murder though, for manslaughter and child neglect.

Those poor babies

yeah i definitely feel she needs to do time.  she still killed those babies.
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:14am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Well she did have 2 kids in under 2 years...We aren't talking about a 16 y/o here, but a 23 year old college woman.  Society encourages this "do you" attitude instead of a "be responsible" one.  Leaving your infants in a car is never acceptable.  If she did have the means of childcare and didn't take it because of some potential jabs, she's wrong and kids are dead.

*shrugs*
Katrenia View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Katrenia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2014 at 8:21am
She may have been depressed because I can't think of anyone in there right mind who'd have left those babies alone like that.

The story is tragic.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic