Perfect Hair Collection

Repost? Second Grader Handcuffed at School

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repost? Second Grader Handcuffed at School
    Posted: May 05 2014 at 8:22am
http://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/parents-school-treated-7-year-old-son-like-a-criminal?hpt=us_bn9

Second grader claims he was handcuffed at school for misbehaving

9:51 PM, Apr 30, 2014
11:30 AM, May 1, 2014

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - A Kansas City second grader said his school treated him like a criminal Wednesday by placing him in handcuffs simply because he was misbehaving.

"Some of the kids were messing with me," second grader Kalyb Primm Wiley said of what started the incident.

He said after his classmates teased and taunted him, he started screaming but never got physical with other students or teachers. And when the teacher couldn't calm him down, he said a school security officer took him to the principal’s office like a criminal.

"We were halfway down the hall, he put handcuffs on and twisted my wrists a little," Kalyb said.

"I don't think any 7-year-old should be in handcuffs unless he was armed with a weapon, or violent," Kalyb’s mother Tomesha Primm said.

Kalyb’s parents said his teacher called them when he was reportedly misbehaving. When his father showed up at the school’s front office, Kalyb was in handcuffs.

A spokesperson for the district said the officer followed proper procedures and this was a necessary step to ensure the safety of the student and others.

The district also said school security officers use handcuffs on children as a last resort and only when a situation gets out of hand to make sure everyone stays safe.

But according to Kalyb, handcuffs are not for kids-- only for the bad guys.

"Criminals, robbers, bank robbers, stealers," the second grader said. "Because kids are not that bad."

Kalyb’s parents want the district to re-evaluate their policy to make sure they don't treat young kids like criminals. They have taken him out of school and plan on moving their son to another district.

Sponsored Links

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 8:42am
Handcuff? On a 7 year old? 

AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 8:51am

The fact that they make handcuffs that fit a 7-year-old disturbs the fucc outta me.

OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OhMyCurlz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 8:58am
"Safety"? LMAO......because God knows a security guard is no match for a 4 foot 3 seven year old. Lil' man just stopped pissing on himself but they scared like that? BS. They did that as a form of intimidation, I guarantee the cuffs come with a "if you are going to behave like a criminal, we will treat you like one" speech. 

They can at least be honest. I would also demand to see in the student handbook/policy where hand cuffs are specified and when they are used. 
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 8:59am
Let me get this straight.  

Tokyorose will make a child do a written punishment if her kids get out out of line.
In America, that would not be okay.  It's child abuse.

Tokyorose will make a child sit or stand up with his or her hands on their heads until they have calmed down.

Tokyorose will call a student out when that child gets out of control and she will take away that child's play time, if necessary.

But HANDCUFFING A CHILD is OKAY?  It's not considered child abuse?

WTF am I missing?

If teachers had more control over their classrooms, there would be no need for the damn handcuffs.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 9:25am
I have a seven year old and he would have had a panic attack.  I would sue the city.  
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 9:27am
The fear of the black man. That boy was 7 years old and they treated him like a criminal and especially when he was the one getting picked on. Smfh.
LovesHim View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LovesHim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 9:42am
Didnt read/watch.

But I work with kids who act a plum fool in school and you can't touch them at all... Sometimes you have to call the police in to keep from being sued and losing your job... 
danieb23 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danieb23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

Tokyorose will make a child do a written punishment if her kids get out out of line.

Tokyorose will make a child sit or stand up with his or her hands on their heads until they have calmed down.

Tokyorose will call a student out when that child gets out of control and she will take away that child's play time, if necessary.

WTF am I missing?

If teachers had more control over their classrooms, there would be no need for the damn handcuffs.

Huh? Many teachers do these things here. Who is crying child abuse for this besides some of the bhm eccentrics?
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2014 at 10:22am
Originally posted by danieb23 danieb23 wrote:

Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

WTF am I missing?

Huh? Many teachers do these things here. Who is crying child abuse for this besides some of the bhm eccentrics?

I know that in NYC if you make a kid write lines, you can be written up for it because it is seen as child abuse.  This is coming from a friend who used to teach in the Bronx.

Another acquaintance has told me that when you teach certain stories, you aren't allowed to have the kids change the endings.  

You aren't allowed to say, "See what happens if you do that again" because that is considered verbal threatening.  

There seems to be a lot of ridiculous school rules I have come across from educators across the country who would be stuck in a rubber room if they were to do things the way some of us do them over here.

ETA: Now that I think of it, I remember when I was being interviewed by a panel about classroom management.  Do you know that they told me that it wasn't acceptable when I told my students if they tipped in their chair, they were going to lose it for 5 minutes...because that would be embarrassing the student???  Never mind the safety issue.  They were more concerned that despite me giving warnings about what would happen should they continue that behavior that...I would somehow embarrass the child. Confused

Edited by TokyoRose - May 05 2014 at 10:34am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>