BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Repost?? RTA bus driver Artis Hughes fired

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mzmee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mzmee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repost?? RTA bus driver Artis Hughes fired
    Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 1:57pm
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/11/rta_bus_driver_fired_over_uppe.html

RTA bus driver Artis Hughes fired over passenger punch caught on video

The Plai
ARTIS-HUGHES.JPG RTA bus driver Artis Hughes. Marvin Fong, Plain Dealer file

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The RTA has fired bus driver Artis Hughes, whose uppercut to the jaw of an irate female passenger was captured on a video that went viral and was seen by millions around the world.

Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority spokeswoman Mary Shaffer confirmed that Hughes, a 25-year veteran of the RTA, was fired this morning for violating the rules of conduct.

"The employee handbook says an employee can be discharged if he uses overt force, strikes ... a member of the public," she said. "We understand he feels that his actions were in self-defense, but we disagree. The appropriate action should have been to pull over the bus and alert transit police and let them handle it."

At a press conference this afternoon outside the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 268, Hughes and union officials said a grievance would be filed.

Hughes has been suspended without pay since Oct. 11, the day a video of his Sept. 18 confrontation with a passenger, Shi' Dea Lane, 25, of Cleveland, went viral.

The video showed the Hughes and Lane involved in an escalating argument, replete with profanity.

"Until this video went viral, no one cared," said Nix. "Now, the RTA is saying that anyone can do anything to our drivers and they are not allowed to defend themselves."

In the video, Lane appeared to move toward Hughes while he was behind the wheel. Witnesses said Lane spit on and hit Hughes, which Lane's lawyer denies.

Hughes said he feels betrayed by the RTA.

"I feel let down," he said at the press conference. "I feel like they should support their drivers. I was just trying to do my job. ... I've run over those events in my mind 1,000 times and I don't know what I could have done differently."

The fight occurred while Hughes drove through Beachwood. The city prosecutor has charged Hughes with assault and Lane with disorderly conduct.

The incident was one of several violent events that took place on an RTA bus recently.

Last month, a passenger who had refused to pay a fare threw hot coffee in the face of a bus driver, shortly after they both had stepped off a bus parked at RTA's Cedar-University bus loop. The driver was treated for injuries.

rta.JPGLocal 268 President William Nix (left) stands with fired bus driver Artis Hughes and community activist Art McKoy outside union headquarters this afternoon, vowing to fight Hughes' termination for hitting a female passenger during an altercation.

Edited by mzmee - Nov 06 2012 at 1:57pm
Sponsored Links

BrownQtee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (28) Thanks(28)   Quote BrownQtee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:01pm
He doesn't know what he could have done differently? The fukk? Confused
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:01pm
good luck my Brotha
Brownsugar1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Brownsugar1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:03pm
Oh well...
Midwest_Da_Gawd View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (16) Thanks(16)   Quote Midwest_Da_Gawd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:05pm
THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (32) Thanks(32)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:05pm
im confused as to why he thought he wouldnt be fired. he knew damn well uppercuts aint in the handbook.
mzmee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote mzmee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:06pm
"Until this video went viral, no one cared," said Nix. "Now, the RTA is saying that anyone can do anything to our drivers and they are not allowed to defend themselves."
SWEETBREAD View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote SWEETBREAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:06pm
If she hurt him and he merged into traffic and killed somebody yt...............it would of been a different story.
Prazol60 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote Prazol60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:07pm
He might as well sign up for welfare because nobody is going to hire him. 
Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:07pm
He still gets his pension, so for him it's early retirement...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>