Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Repost? Detroit Shuts Off Water For Thousands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 6:49pm
"Congressman Convey help my family during the 60'S with race issues ".

Detroit's Water Cutoffs: Counterproductive and Coldhearted

Rep. John ConyersBecome a fanDean, Congressional Black Caucus | Ranking Member, House Judiciary CommitteeEmailRSS

The Huffington Post | Posted: 06/26/2014 4:36 pm EDT

Imagine a week without running water. Imagine not only the physical thirst but also the inability to bathe, to cook, or to clean. Imagine the hardships this scenario would present for a family with children in diapers and the public health risks it would impose on a broader community.

This is the reality right now in Detroit. But we can change it. Today, I am proposing a range of solutions -- including an immediate cessation of shutoffs, special protections for vulnerable groups, and new long-term investments in the water system -- to resolve this crisis.

What makes the current situation particularly troubling is that it is not the result of a real disaster or an underdeveloped water system, but rather the result of a short-sighted business decision.

With its location amidst the Great Lakes and extensive sanitation systems, Detroit should have access to plentiful and inexpensive water. Yet, due to an overzealous and misguided approach to cost-cutting, the local utility has, since March, been cutting off water service for up to 3,000 customers per week. With water rates skyrocketing 119 percent over the past decade, up to 90,000 largely impoverished households are currently in arrears and in danger of termination.

This isn't just bad ethics. It's short-sighted economics.

Water cutoffs are not a pathway to financial solvency. To the contrary, actions that deny residents the ability to cook and clean for themselves and their families create costly long-term challenges related to dysfunction and disease. I'm talking about babies, the sick, and the elderly going without the most essential life-sustaining substance because of a bad business decision. The failure to reinstate water service means unsanitary conditions, malnutrition and disease. Ultimately, it means more people forced to leave the city, further depleting the tax base and worsening the financial position of public entities like water department.

So why are local authorities even attempting these cutoffs? The clearest answer is that they're a prelude to privatization -- a signal to potential investors that the utility is getting tough on those who miss payments. Privatization is a growing trend among water utilities, but a trend that's been demonstrated to increase costs and lower quality. Under many of the "concession contracts" that have become popular in the U.S. and beyond, investors pay an upfront sum to the local government in exchange for the rights to maximize profits by over-charging and under-serving residents. Regardless of the rationale for these cutoffs, the human consequences are unacceptable and unsustainable.

It's time for action. This week, working with local residents and state and federal officials, I am pursuing a range of options to stop the shutoffs and protect Detroiters:

• I am formally requesting that the water department cease all cutoffs, and -- at the absolute least -- immediately cease any threats and cutoffs affecting families with young children, the elderly, pregnant women, the infirmed, and households with a demonstrated inability to pay.

• In a letter to President Obama, I am calling for his administration to make some of the more than $200 million still available for Michigan from the Hardest Hit Fund -- a reserve made available for relief from impacts of the Great Recession -- available for relief from the water crisis.

• I am requesting that the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services take steps to formally designate this situation a public health emergency eligible for direct federal relief.

• I am requesting that the Department of Justice conduct a broader investigation into the legality of draconian water shutoffs under the authority of an unelected emergency manager.

• Working with nongovernmental organizations from around the world, I am calling on the United Nations Special Rapporteur for Water and Sanitation to come to Detroit to document the failure to distribute an abundant and essential resource.

These actions are just the beginning. In the 21st Century, in the wealthiest nation on earth, no one should go without safe, clean, public water.

Copyright ©2014 TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc.
Sponsored Links

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 6:54pm
Detroit needs to clean house . The so call reps are corrupt drunks that continue to allow white, Asians and Arabic to own everything and buy our people land . Michigan has more water than any state in the world.
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 7:22pm
The state of michigan to take control of the detroit government.
*restore the access water
*get the people that belong on state assistance on it asap so that the water bills that are eligible to be waived are waived
*run audits on all of the departments that have the power to let this inhumane situation happen.
*penalize the corporations that owe on the delinquent water bills.

i know that it is extremely complex and i am not trying to simplify things but i am outraged that this can happen and has been allowed to happen in a major city.

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 7:30pm
I think the emergency manager appointed by the repub governor is still in control of Detroit. I wonder if he has the power to address this.
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I think the emergency manager appointed by the repub governor is still in control of Detroit. I wonder if he has the power to address this.
I saw the devil speak last night on cnn . The evil fool stands with the water board . I sent 50 cases of water today .

Walmart offers 36 bottles of ice mountain for a few bucks . Seniors and children are suffering . Many folks bills are not accurate . Rev Sharpton will protest and allocate personal funds .

I plan to visit Detroit with my husband and offer more water door to door . Really upsets me to see corruption and racist folk with power hurt our people . We need help with black on black crime . White folks hope we keep killing our own .I wish more black entertainers would help that kids respect , by sharing real life things before the riches .

I try to help young black men and women if they listen . Sometimes I can't due to danger. Many will kill you for trying to help . PRAYING .

YOU CAN HELP BELOW .

Http://DetroitWaterBrigade.org/

Nicole Hill holds up her past-due water bill at her home in Detroit. Her water has been off for about six weeks. (Paul Sancya / Associated Press)

No water for 6 weeks despite paying my bill. 3 children, single parent, full-time student. Photo: Nicole via Facebook.
No water for 6 weeks despite paying my bill. 3 children, single parent, full-time student. Photo: Nicole via Facebook.

Edited by india100 - Jul 07 2014 at 8:14pm
Joja1107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joja1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 8:40pm
I think cutting ppl off for $150 pass due is too low. In my current city it's over $300.  I do see both sides though. I used to work for the electric/gas company (in collections, getting cussed out daily LOL) in Detroit many moons ago. It is illegal to cut ppls utilities off in the winter now. Before ppl would have $3000 bills before they would cut them off. Ppl should call to make payment arrangements before getting a shut off notice. This was one of the reasons for shut off or many would have 3 non-pay payment arrangements and would no longer be eligible for another arrangement.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                It's not free to deliver/supply water. So ppl do need to pay for their bill. If they are low income show, proof to get subsidies and other payment arrangements. If no one gets cut off there is no incentive to pay/make arrangements.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The electric/gas company now does a mass shut off in the fall BEFORE the winter I guess to make up for that winter season. 
JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 8:43pm
I couldnt believe how BRAZEN Kwame Kilpatrick was...
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 9:15pm
I got a hundred on somebody water bill
do we have any Detroit people that post on here?
I would love to help, I really pray this is not affecting the elderly who can't work anymore Cry

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 9:27pm

Conyers, Detroit Water Brigade vow fight to help those threatened by shut-offs

Detroit — U.S. Rep. John Conyers vowed Monday to fight for Detroiters whose water is being cut off and said he would seek federal aid.

Conyers, speaking Monday in the city for a newly formed coalition called the Detroit Water Brigade, said the water issue is “the most important item on my agenda.”

“This is a national issue,” the Detroit congressman said.“Water is a human right. It’s necessary for life.”

In March, the utility announced it was starting a campaign to target tens of thousands of Detroiters with balances more than $150 overdue or more than two months behind on their payments.

The department and contractors working for it have cut off more than 8,000 accounts from March to May. The department has more than 178,000 active residential accounts and nearly 80,000 of them are past due, totaling nearly $42 million in overdue accounts, according to the Detroit Water & Sewerage Department.

About 76 percent of those whose water was turned off in May paid their bills and had service restored within two days, according to the department.

Conyers, who is running for re-election and faces a Democratic primary challenge from the Rev. Horace Sheffield of Detroit, said he would look to President Barack Obama, “encouraging him to release serious funds that are available at the federal level.”

“That I feel is my responsibility as a member of Congress from this area,” he continued.

Sheffield said Monday he supports a 60-day moratorium on water shutoffs. And residents who are unable to pay should be able to pay less — just as the city struggles to pay only some of its debts as it goes through bankruptcy.

“Detroit is not able to pay all of its bills, and we have Detroiters who can’t pay all of their bills,” Sheffield said.

State Rep. Kurt Heise, who was the director of the Wayne County Department of Environment and a former county drain commissioner, said the Detroit water department apparently let people slide on their water bills for too long. Other municipalities, he said, add unpaid water bills to a resident’s property tax bill. Or they simply cut off the water like Detroit is now doing.

“Some communities will shut you off after a certain amount of time but so will Edison and Consumers Energy and MichCon,” the Plymouth Republican said. “Now under (Detroit Emergency Manager Kevyn) Orr, the rules are changing. This is an election year. It’s an emotional issue, and it’s a wedge issue. But DWSD has got to be run like a true public entity.”

Demeeko Williams, an organizer with the Detroit Water Brigade, said volunteers dropped off about 40 cases of water Monday afternoon for those who need it at the Dexter Elmhurst Community Center on the city’s west side. The organization plans to use the center as a kind of home base, Williams said.

“Once the word gets out I’m sure there will be people people coming in who need water,” he said. Meanwhile, the group — which was created in June — is looking for more volunteers as well as donations from people looking to help.

Conyers sent letters last week Friday to Obama and other officials requesting immediate action concerning the shut-offs, which he has labeled “overzealous.” He said Monday he wanted to meet with Detroit Water and Sewerage Director Sue McCormick to discuss the issue.

Water officials said McCormick supports efforts to create more affordability programs. More than 17,000 Detroiters are enrolled in payment plan programs, the utility said.

There are more than 293,000 city residential water and sewerage accounts. Nearly 138,000 are past due.

Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2014 at 9:51pm
This is just catastrophic
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>