Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
PensiveChic3 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxing Wet Hair
    Posted: Apr 17 2007 at 9:41pm
Who has relaxed their hair while wet? I'm thinking of doing a pre-relaxer treatment with porosity control, and it would require me to wet my hair before putting the relaxer. Anyone done this?

edited for typos

Edited by PensiveChic3 - Apr 17 2007 at 9:57pm
Sponsored Links

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2007 at 10:36am
bumping in case anyone has done this
Tangie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2007 at 4:37pm
I've never heard of anyone relaxing wet hair.
Monica421 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2007 at 5:03pm
My mom had this done once before. She had it done by a professional in a salon who had been doing this process for years. She said it was the most beautiful relaxer that she had ever had.

But, you know that you can't get a single drop of the relaxer on your scalp, right? The reason is because the pores on your skin will be open, and if you get relaxer on your freshly opened pores, your head will be on FIRE. You'll get the worst scalp burns of your life, and that's just not worth it.

The stylist who had done my mother's relaxer explained that the reason the relaxer looked so great is because the hair follicles and cuticle were opened from the water, so the relaxer was able to get to the middle layers, not just the outside of the hair.

Again, my mom was able to get good results because she had an experienced professional doing it (if you're going to do this method, please have another set of eyes applying the relaxer for you, and be sure that they're not putting it on your scalp AT ALL). The relaxer also looked good on my mom because she had all her hair relaxed, not just the roots. I think the stylist didn't even put relaxer on the top quarter inch of her hair, just so he could be sure the relaxer would not touch her scalp.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and be careful.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2007 at 5:30pm
thanks for the feedback...

anyone else?
Reservechic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2007 at 12:27pm
When I used to relax my hair in the past, I used to wet my hair first and then apply my relaxer. I only did this with lye based relaxers though, and never using a no-lye one. My hair would come really, really straight that way, and stay straighter longer. But I would get more burning to my scalp than, when I would apply relaxer to dry hair.  I thought up until now, I was the only one who hads ever done this, but I see that more than me has tried this relaxing method. 

Edited by Reservechic - Apr 20 2007 at 6:16pm
loolalooh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2007 at 3:26pm
I did this some years ago.  The relaxer didn't take and my scalp was BURNING like crazy.  My hair didn't straighten at all.  This was during my "don't know what the heck I'm doing" phase.  The girls above sound like they know what they're doing/talking about.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2007 at 6:23pm
I'm not sure if I'm going to do it. My mom didn't like the idea of realxer on wet hair...but I bought the porosity control anyway.
If anything, I'll use it afterwards...
Nichole23 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2007 at 7:54pm
Pensive, I think that is a good idea too, using it after.  You cant go wrong with after.  We'd rather be safe than sorry.

Try p.m.'ing Claudie.  She does hair and she know alot about porosity control.
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2007 at 8:13pm
I absolutely do not agree, to apply a relaxer on wet hair.  You run the risk of getting scalp burns, and the risk of the hair not been processed,  etc.   Porosity Control can be used on dry hair hair, to protect it before applying a relaxer.  However, one has to be careful, not to get it on the new growth. Because, it will impede the new growth from processing.  To be honest, it is a pain, because there is the risk, by it been a liquid, that it will get on some of the new growth.  Therefore, I recommend that it should either be mixed in with the conditioner and applied after the neutralizing process.  Or neutralize,  then apply the Porosity Control for five to ten minutes, rinse, then apply the conditioner.

Edited by Claudie - Apr 19 2007 at 8:17pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic