Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives > Weaves / Extensions Archives 2008
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedrelaxing hair before a sew in

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
adelle81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: relaxing hair before a sew in
    Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 2:07pm
I have relaxed hair. If I am due for a touch up. Would you recommend relaxing hair before you get a sew in weave?
Sponsored Links

wifey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 2:18pm
I wouldn't recommend relaxing your hair right before a sew in.  You don't want  your hair to break off.  I would relax and then wait a week.  Of if you do relax make sure you condition your hair really well..
crzy4hair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 2:20pm
or just relax the eges and crown if thats all your going to have left out
MzKoKoNY View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 2:29pm
i agree with the above posters...relaxing hair is chemically breaking down the hair to change the curl pattern to straight so the hair right after being relaxed is at its most vulnerable..you do not want to put the hair into trauma by the tension caused by braiding (even if the braider is gentle, you're pulling the hair)..the hair will most definitely break...if you're going to do a style where you're leaving the hair around the edges/horseshoe out..you can relax that...but since the rest of the hair is going to braided up (unseen)...i wouldn't relax the whole head...if you're doing a full head weave with no hair out or a closure..then relaxing is not needed...
adelle81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 3:12pm

Thanks for the advice. I had no idea what to do

ladyrah05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 3:55pm
Funny this thread appeared I was "consulting" with a potential client yesterday and she wants to relax Sunday and get an install Wednesday.  I advised her against doing it and I told her why it wasn't a good idea.  You know being that the hair is weaker after a relaxer and braiding it would cause too much stress on her hair... Yeah she is still going to relax.  Can't say that I didn't warn her!
MzKoKoNY View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by ladyrah05 ladyrah05 wrote:

Funny this thread appeared I was "consulting" with a potential client yesterday and she wants to relax Sunday and get an install Wednesday.  I advised her against doing it and I told her why it wasn't a good idea.  You know being that the hair is weaker after a relaxer and braiding it would cause too much stress on her hair... Yeah she is still going to relax.  Can't say that I didn't warn her!

i can more than relate to this..but then i would ask the question...if you know the hair might break...do you still want to do the install and take the risk?

IMO i wouldn't chance it...do the install...have her hair break..and have to hear her mouth (even though you warned her)...if it were me i would refuse the do the install and tell her to find someone else..

it's crazy how more people just don't care about the actual health of their own hair...
naive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 5:55pm

i always get a relaxer before my install.  She takes out my weave relaxes then drys my hair braids it and puts my hair back in.  Peoples hair reacts differently.  My hair has grown really long and is healthy.  Before my old hair dresser messed up my hair.  My new stylist has done wonders.  I've been w/her for 3years now.

MzKoKoNY View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 6:15pm
everyone's hair reacts differently...your hair might be resilient enough to withstand relaxing, blow-drying, and braiding, but the next person may not...in cosmetology school they teach us safety precaution measures to ensure the best result and at the end of the day...it should be about hair health over style....IMO it's better to be safe than sorry...the relaxing process is an intense process...and braiding is an intense process...and then there's the tension from sewing...it does take its toll on the hair...a person may not see it now..but it can very well manifest itself later on down the road...just like you should wait 2 weeks after relaxing to permanently color hair...you should wait 1 to 2 weeks before braiding...

when someone comes a professional..it is the professional's responsibility to advise on the best method available...but being in the field i know what it's like when a client insists on something that you know professionally isn't the best for their hair...some will take the chance and do it anyway..i'm one of those people that won't...everyone's different...and every stylist is different

i would never want a client to have better hair before the weave than after..especially if they're using weaves as a protective style...and then that person wonders why their hair is thinner now then when they first started wearing weaves...

but if you found what works for you that's great...but it is the exception more than the norm...you also might be one of those people that take care of the hair under the weave and get conditioning and protein treatments when you get your weave unistalled...etc...but a lot of people slap weaves in and take em out and put them right back in...and do nothing for their actual hair...
naive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 07 2007 at 9:08pm

you also might be one of those people that take care of the hair under the weave and get conditioning and protein treatments when you get your weave unistalled...etc...  Thats what i do.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic