Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Relaxing Hair After Removing Braids

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
saneye93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saneye93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxing Hair After Removing Braids
    Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 12:46pm
I have had braids in my hair for about three months now and I'm taking out. My hair isn't natural or anything like that but it is very thick. I was wondering if it is okay for me to relax my hair after removing the braids. If yes, does anyone have nay suggestions of relaxers I should use.
Sponsored Links

Melialy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melialy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 1:27pm
I believe you're supposed to wait at least two weeks after taking out your braids to get a relaxer. You need to give your hair time to breathe.
ProductJunkie404 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductJunkie404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 3:22pm
^^^^I have to disagree with above. ^^^^
Waiting 2 weeks with only lead to major manipulation (combing) of the scalp and adding extra oils via regular moisturizing, washing, etc.

You don't need to wait two weeks....I would say detangle fully and do a protein treatment.  Wait 3-5 days and you should be fine.  Don't add any extra oils to the hair. Dead  If styling is a problem, try bunning, a phony pony, or a headband.

Save the deep conditioning treatment for post relaxer. 

AGAIN----DON'T FORGET TO FULLY DETANGLE!!!
ProductJunkie404 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProductJunkie404 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 3:29pm
I'm unrelaxed...but when I did relax, my stylist applied an Affirm Fiberguard and I ended using Mizani. 
They are both very good relaxers.  My hair is very "thick"..i.e. coarse.  I'm a 4A 4B mix.  My stylist chose a LYE relaxer because of this.  

If you self-relaxing, there are great reviews on the Olive Oil Relaxer. No-Lye (in the box), and LYE (in the green container).  But, if you're not a GREAT self-relaxer, I would say the box Olive Oil relaxer (NO LYE).  It comes with everything you need and works wonderfully for setting. 

Try the search button...
You'll hear raves about the No-Lye Olive Oil Relaxer and Mizani Butter Blends.  Both are available in your local BSS.

bxdeeva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bxdeeva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 5:39pm
I have relaxed my hair after micros but I always wait 1-2 weeks.  After I remove the braids I comb out and make a few big braids or plaits and keep moist until the relaxer. I would wear a hat or scarf until I get my hair done.
carefreefefe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carefreefefe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 11:48am
i say wash and detangle hair, put a protein treatment on it. Grease scalp with vaseline or some other protectant that will help coat the scalp and wait 2-3 days before relaxing.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic