Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Relaxers don't work on non kinky hair or are they
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Relaxers don't work on non kinky hair or are they

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxers don't work on non kinky hair or are they
    Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 11:44am
So I've had two non black people tell me that relaxers didn't work on their hair. One was a white girl and one was an Asian girl (who has some black and white in her). The white girls hair was more curlier and the asian girl had loose curls and they both told me that their hair is just too curly that after a while their hair just reverted back to curly. Now when I heard this I thought either they're using the wrong product or doing it wrong because a relaxer is a permanent chemical... That's like bleaching your hair and saying it returned black after a while... 

These are the only two non black people who I've spoken to about this... so I'm like maybe, I'm wrong and it really doesn't work for them or they or their stylist didn't know what they were doing. 
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 12:08pm
Hair is hair, meaning that they are made of the same material, which is protein.  The only difference is that the hair structure is different.  Going back to your question, relaxers work ideally on all hair types but remember that different brands have various pH levels.  Even with those who have kinky hair textures, not all relaxers will work the same.  For example, my hair gets easily overprocessed when I used the box relaxer you get at stores but when I use the professional ones like Affirm or Mizani, I have to use the mildest version out there.  But some people on here can use PCJ, Dr, Miracles, ORS, and so forth and they will have results that looked like they stepped outside of the salon.  Basically relaxers aren't that "smart".  They just break down the hydrogen bonds, like all alkaline materials. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Hair is hair, meaning that they are made of the same material, which is protein.  The only difference is that the hair structure is different.  Going back to your question, relaxers work ideally on all hair types but remember that different brands have various pH levels.  Even with those who have kinky hair textures, not all relaxers will work the same.  For example, my hair gets easily overprocessed when I used the box relaxer you get at stores but when I use the professional ones like Affirm or Mizani, I have to use the mildest version out there.  But some people on here can use PCJ, Dr, Miracles, ORS, and so forth and they will have results that looked like they stepped outside of the salon.  Basically relaxers aren't that "smart".  They just break down the hydrogen bonds, like all alkaline materials. 

The title was supposed to be "or are they doing them wrong" if it doesn't show up

But yeah, I know hair is hair, but I never heard of a black person getting a relaxer and then their hair going back to it's original state, because it's permanent... yeah they have different ph's but even so your hair will be different than it's natural state and can not revert.
morenaloca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morenaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2013 at 9:55pm
I agree with Nars Addict. My neighbor is Mexican and has very curly hair. I used Silk Elements relaxer and it came out great! But on my own head, which has tighter curls, it over processed really fast. So does ORS (the professional version). Cry Hawaiian Silky Mild relaxer was easier to texlax with. The only relaxer I can use is a dominican one.

Did your friends go to the salon or do it themselves? And what brand and strength relaxer did they use?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by morenaloca morenaloca wrote:

I agree with Nars Addict. My neighbor is Mexican and has very curly hair. I used Silk Elements relaxer and it came out great! But on my own head, which has tighter curls, it over processed really fast. So does ORS (the professional version). Cry Hawaiian Silky Mild relaxer was easier to texlax with. The only relaxer I can use is a dominican one.

Did your friends go to the salon or do it themselves? And what brand and strength relaxer did they use?

That's not really my point. My point was that both of these girls said that it straightened their hair but it then reverted... sorry, maybe I should have put that in the first post.

The first girl was a classmate and the other is a co worker. 
I asked the first girl if it was done right and she said "yes I went to a salon" and I didn't say anything to my co worker after she told me that. 

I understand that different relaxers can work differently on different people, but I never heard of one that isn't permanent, that straightens your hair but then reverts like flat ironed natural hair that got wet.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by lalaLeslie lalaLeslie wrote:

The title was supposed to be "or are they doing them wrong" if it doesn't show up

But yeah, I know hair is hair, but I never heard of a black person getting a relaxer and then their hair going back to it's original state, because it's permanent... yeah they have different ph's but even so your hair will be different than it's natural state and can not revert.

No shade to you at all and this is more of a indicator that I stay on this board way too long for my good but I read a healthy number of post of members that so and so relaxers cause their hair to revert or so and so left their hair curlier than before.  And they usually state that their hair is 4a or 4b or 4c.  Same story I see on Yahoo! Answer too.  The only answer I can come up with is either improper relaxer application (not mixing it well, not applying it properly, insufficient timing, and so forth) or choosing the wrong strength for their hair.  My hair can only tolerate mild or overprocess city while others can only get results with super.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by lalaLeslie lalaLeslie wrote:

That's not really my point. My point was that both of these girls said that it straightened their hair but it then reverted... sorry, maybe I should have put that in the first post.

The first girl was a classmate and the other is a co worker. 
I asked the first girl if it was done right and she said "yes I went to a salon" and I didn't say anything to my co worker after she told me that. 

I understand that different relaxers can work differently on different people, but I never heard of one that isn't permanent, that straightens your hair but then reverts like flat ironed natural hair that got wet.

Speaking from my experience, my hair behaved like that with Vitale, the cheapest professional relaxer available that came in a purple tub.  And I have 4a  band c hair.
ShadeTree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShadeTree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2013 at 8:05am
There is a lot of anecdotal evidence on the web about relaxers not taking well to curly rather than kinky hair. From personal experience I can attest to this. I cannot get my 3a/b curls "bone straight". The best I can ask for is looser waves that will tighten in subsequent weeks.
There is also a good degree of reversion with my hair.

Edited by ShadeTree - Aug 20 2013 at 8:06am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style