FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRelaxer stopped shedding

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Hair ViVi

Author
klove2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxer stopped shedding
    Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 11:14am
Hello ladies!!!  I don't know if the hair experts can answer this but I was shedding like crazy, and then decided at 12wks post to relax my hair.  I relaxed on Friday, and washed and deep conditioned on Sunday, and this was the first time in three months that I actually did not shedd like crazy.  I may have had six hairs in my comb.  Anyone ever experienced this?  I did do an Aphogee treatment two days before the relaxer, but I have always done the treatments and it did not stop the shedding. 

One thing I do know is BJ's shikakai soap bar and oil is off the chain!!!  I massage the oil in my hair every other day as my pre-poo and wash with the bar.  That stuff is amazing and smell great.  I am sure by using this my hair will thicken back up in no time. 
Sponsored Links

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 11:36am

Hey Klove --I was shedding too before I did my relaxer and the shedding has stoppedThumbs%20Up ---excessive shedding is part of the reason I decided not to stretch for too long anymore.

BabyGirl718 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 12:00pm
IMO if you stretch too long your hair will shed.  That was happening to me and then I relaxed and my hair didn't shed as much.  I last relaxed Aug 22.  I want to relax in Dec, but if my hair gets to be too much I will do it sooner.  What do you think?
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 12:10pm
I think when it becomes a battle, its time to stop the stretch. After a while, the two textures will become overwheming and its time to go one way or the other - either relax the new growth, or go natural.
20 weeks is the max for me.
klove2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Hey Klove --I was shedding too before I did my relaxer and the shedding has stoppedThumbs%20Up ---excessive shedding is part of the reason I decided not to stretch for too long anymore.

Thanks Wildfire for letting me know this.  Ok, so how long will you be stretching.  You did a 19wk stretch right?  That is amazing, and your hair looked so good to girl. 
klove2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by BabyGirl718 BabyGirl718 wrote:

IMO if you stretch too long your hair will shed.  That was happening to me and then I relaxed and my hair didn't shed as much.  I last relaxed Aug 22.  I want to relax in Dec, but if my hair gets to be too much I will do it sooner.  What do you think?

Babygirl I say if you start shedding too much than relax.  I am trying to keep as much hair on my head as possible.  I will be 12wks post at the end of Dec, and if I find that I am shedding too much I will relax.  I don't know why relaxing stops the shedding, but I am glad it has stopped.  Now I am trying to thicken my hair up again. 
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by klove2 klove2 wrote:

Thanks Wildfire for letting me know this.  Ok, so how long will you be stretching.  You did a 19wk stretch right?  That is amazing, and your hair looked so good to girl. 

Thanks Klove....yeah, it was 19 weeks. My aim is 16-20 weeks at a time. No more. This time, I will be stretching for just about the same period.Wink. That should take me to the end of January '08

Edited by Wildfire - Oct 01 2007 at 2:30pm
tasty0619 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 2:27pm

I think when it becomes a battle, its time to stop the stretch. After a while, the two textures will become overwheming and its time to go one way or the other - either relax the new growth, or go natural.

ita my mom has this problem after a while no matter how much protein she uses, it just continues to shed...so the max she can go is like 8-10 weeks, i don't understand why because a few years ago i transitioned and i didn't have any severe shedding...from what i remember
bluemac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 2:38pm
When I first joined BHM I kept trying to stretch and no matter what I tried (and believe me, I tried EVERYTHING!), I was never able to avoid shedding and breakage. 

The lightbulb finally turned on when I read a thread about 4b hair on LHCF.   I went back and started looking at the fotki's of people who stretch for long periods of time and I recognized a pattern:
3c/4a hair can successfully stretch more than 10 weeks
4b hair can successfully stretch more than 10 weeks but only with braids

Now that I've figured this out, I know that long-term stretching is no longer an option for me.
klove2 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 01 2007 at 2:40pm

I totally agree with you on that one.  Especially if you are minipulating your hair a lot.  Your relaxed hair is so much weaker than your new growth, so that is why I believe mine was coming out.  Because where my hair came out, i had like small hairs there, so not only was my hair shedding but I believe it was breaking also.
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic