Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Relaxer for children VS relaxer for adult

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
SwissGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwissGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxer for children VS relaxer for adult
    Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 9:50am
Hi ladies

What's the real difference between these two? Can an adult use a relaxer for a children?
Sponsored Links

Mi_mosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mi_mosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2009 at 11:34am

I asked the same question also.  The answer I received was there is not really a difference, and that it depends on the brand you use.  I am an adult and I have used childerens perms since I was in college.  Particularily Beautiful Begginings by Dark and Lovely.  They work fine on my hair.  It may depend on your hair type also.

sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 2:33pm

For sensitive sista's or one's with very fine hair (I have both), child perms are different in that they take longer to 'burn' the scalp.  People with sensitive scalps are not always able to leave the relaxer in long enough to be thoroughly effective because it starts burning/irritating before the time is up and sometimes, before I get a chance to do my whole head.  The child relaxers tend to be able to be left on longer before this burning even begins or without this burning effect at all.

Sometimes, the problem isn't sensitive scalp, but that even the regular relaxer over-processes very fine hair.  In this case, the child perms tend to be gentler.  I of course, have both issues.

I know some people whose hair is just hard to straighten so they leave the kiddy perm in longer than recommended but it does well, their hair doesn't seem to be damaged AND the scalp doesn't get burned (I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS EVER, JUST TELLING WHAT 2 PERSONAL FRIENDS OF MINE DO - SO IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO, IT'S AT YOUR OWN RISK).

Botanicals for sensitive scalp is an excellent adult relaxer for sensitive scalp/fine hair issues, I like the results and have never been disappointed.  Must admit though, I buy whatever is on sale when my pockets aren't right but I pay for this dearly so i try my best not to (OUCH!)

Edited by sbj1104 - Oct 14 2009 at 2:34pm
Mi_mosa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mi_mosa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 2:35pm
Good info!!!!!!!Smile
SwissGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SwissGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2009 at 5:49am
Thank you so much for the info sbj1104
sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2009 at 1:44pm
you're welcome ladies.

I'm tired of having to co-wash my hair every other day because it turns into a puff ball with all the new growth I'm desperately trying not to relax.

I've tried different products claiming to lock out humidity but none of them seem to work.  I seal with sweet almond oil and as needed, use a mixture of coconut and olive between washings (which are now at every other day to make my hair lay).

Anyone have ideas?  I know it's not going to be straight, but the chia petting every other day HAS to go (lol).

Edited by sbj1104 - Nov 02 2009 at 1:55pm
MarilynH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarilynH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2009 at 5:35pm
Hi sbj1104,  Smile

I was thinking about trying the Botanicals relaxer for myself b/c I have a very dry, sensitive scalp that always develops dandruff after a relaxer.  Every time I get rid of the dandruff, it comes right back a couple of days after. Do you think a sensitive scalp relaxer will help with that?  My hair is very thick & curly, does this straighten thick hair?  I've also heard good things about S&B's Triple Hydration Oil Relaxer--I wonder since you mix the oil in, would that help with dry scalp? I know Soft and Beautiful relaxers used to be really gentle. 

Edited by MarilynH - Nov 08 2009 at 5:39pm
sbj1104 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sbj1104 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 3:31pm
Can't comment on the other relaxers, I haven't used them in a long time.  The Botanicals Super straightens beautifully (and doesn't burn if you leave the stuff on a little past the recommended time like other relaxers).

I'd try oiling the scalp with a mixture of jojoba and tea tree oil.  Tea tree helps stop the cause of the dandruff and the jojoba oil allows for high moisturization and assists with scaling the dandruff away and unclogging the hair follicles.  Try to do a gentle scalp massage for like 5-10 minutes a day and see if your dandruff starts to clear.
Carib_n_curly View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carib_n_curly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 7:25pm
there is no major difference child relaxers can be just as harsh as ones for adults

if you are looking for something milder trying a relaxer with a lower ph should help
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1264
it's a list of relaxer PHs

aussielass View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussielass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2009 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by MarilynH MarilynH wrote:

Hi sbj1104,  Smile

I was thinking about trying the Botanicals relaxer for myself b/c I have a very dry, sensitive scalp that always develops dandruff after a relaxer.  Every time I get rid of the dandruff, it comes right back a couple of days after. Do you think a sensitive scalp relaxer will help with that?  My hair is very thick & curly, does this straighten thick hair?  I've also heard good things about S&B's Triple Hydration Oil Relaxer--I wonder since you mix the oil in, would that help with dry scalp? I know Soft and Beautiful relaxers used to be really gentle. 
a bit random but i love your nail colour in your display pic!!!
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>