BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Relaxer Damage? Help!!

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
DEgirl2013 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEgirl2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxer Damage? Help!!
    Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 12:15pm
I need advice ladies, and I'm new to the forum!! (Forgive me long winded)

I have very fine hair, but very course.  So most stylists see it and think put a super in my hair, but because my hair is fine I try to never to use super because it often breaks when using super. Cry

Now for years, I've been going to a great hair stylist.  She has been great with styles, and uses good products.  However, when I was in college I used a very mild relaxer.  I used Precise mild and I had pretty good success in getting the length I wanted.  She used Affirm, and I never got the length I wanted, and it burn pretty bad. Dead  I can't use Dudley, Affirm, Motions, or anything regular.

Now, she switched to Design Essential Sensitive Scalp about 2 years ago, and I loved it.  Less hair in my brush, ABSOLUTELY NO breakage, I maintained the elasticity and my hair [was] super thick. She ever was telling me who many came into the salon asking why my hair was so long and beautiful. I've always been health conscience, so that's the only reason.

HOWEVER (here comes the crushing blow), he ran out of that one day, so she used Affirm regular. It burned, but I never saw anything drastic, until I got home.  The next few days, my hair was SUPER dry, and then I started to see breakage a week later.  Some 3" pieces, and some pieces near the root (8"-10").  I was devastated.  I thought it would end, but never did.

Now I'm back to the Design Essentials, but the breakage will not stop.  Even Aphogee did not stop the breakage.  My hair is getting thinner and thinner.  I had about 2 years of beautiful hair growth, all for it to go down the tubes in 2 months.  

What should I do?  I don't want to offend her, because she's the one who introduced me to DE, but her mistake has cost me.  Secondly, I was growing my hair, because I was considering getting married, and I wanted to avoid a weave (I've never had one). 

Anyway, have anyone of you had this happen.  I'm willing to trim off about 4", yes, 4" to have short hair so that I can have healthy hair.  I know stylists can be sensitive, if you try to tell them how to do their job.  It's my fault for not telling her about my breakage before, but I though it was temporary.  I just believe that with Affirm my hair never grew (reason I went natural for 5 years), so why take a chance with it again.  I guess she thought one application won't hurt, but she didn't tell me she used it for one application.  I just happened to see it when she put the bucket back on the shelf.  

Tell her, and demand DE and ask for a trim? What do you think?

Sponsored Links

jineat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jineat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 8:40pm
I never had any type of problems like you're experiencing, but I'm also confused because you said your hair is fine, but coarse. Is it thin and coarse? Fine hair to me is thin fragile hair. If stylists are using super on your hair I'm thinking you have coarse hair of a medium thickness.

Anyway, hair is such a fragile topic because some people's hair can't take a lot of manipulation or changes of chemicals like others. I would suggest that you talk to your stylist about what's going on and she can help you better than anyone online unless it's another professional stylist. I, like you respect stylist because that's their profession and I wouldn't try to tell them how to do their job.
Just ask her if she could return to using Design Essentials and maybe offer to pay for your own stock so that she doesn't run out when you need it. I don't know how DE relaxers work but I love their moisturizing lotion and there was a cream I had used and can't remember the name of it but I plan on going back to using it for my naturally curly hair. I called Sally's Beauty Supply and should be on their shelves by next month. Try picking up some of DE's maintenance products and see if that nourishes your hair back to health.

Good Luck!

lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 29 2013 at 9:12pm
I think your hair may be thick but fine. So your strands are fine meaning the size of your strands have a very small circumference, but they think your hair is coarse which means you have large strands, but you actually have fine strands but they think it's coarse because you have a lot of hair per square inch on your head or high density/thick hair. Does that make sense? So since your strands are so small/fine the relaxer makes your strands even smaller.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEgirl2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 10:24am
Yes, that is exactly right.  I have very, very thick hair, but the strands are fine.  This is the first breakage problem I've had in 2 years, since switching to DE.  Affirm has never agreed with me, so now it's confirmed that it's not good for me.  It may work for other people, who have thicker strands.

I had to get about 2" cut off to slow down the damage.  However, it will grow back.  I found out less is more. 

My regimen
  1. DE relaxed every 6-8 weeks
  2. Olive Oil straight from the bottle as a moisturizer every 3 days
  3. QP Elastin Sulfate -free Shampoo
  4. Silk pearls by Smooth and Shine.  
This is the healthiest head of hair I've had in my entire life, so that why it was such a let down.  Cry
Loveverythinghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loveverythinghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 6:05pm
I'm not sure how coarse your hair is,but a Super is way to strong. Super IMHO is for people who have hair like wool.

My hair is coarse and thick,no fine strings and I never use a Super. I use a mild or regular.
Super is a very strong relaxer and not sure how many times you switched relaxers but that could be one of your problems.

To control my breakage I always do a hot oil treatment.

The protein treatments does nothing for my hair but make it dry and break more and I only used it twice,years apart!

I would let her know. Also that is a right that she use the kind of products that you want on your hair (You are a paying customer),even if she has to get it just for you or you buy and bring your own and she knock something off the price.

You can buy a hot oil treatment yourself. Shampoo your hair,light condition it,rinse and then put the hot oil treatment in it.

Make sure the hot oil treatment is very warm,I put mine in my head very hot to where it foam and  put a cap or bag on it and let it sit.
CEE JAY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CEE JAY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2013 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by DEgirl2013 DEgirl2013 wrote:

Yes, that is exactly right.  I have very, very thick hair, but the strands are fine.  This is the first breakage problem I've had in 2 years, since switching to DE.  Affirm has never agreed with me, so now it's confirmed that it's not good for me.  It may work for other people, who have thicker strands.

I had to get about 2" cut off to slow down the damage.  However, it will grow back.  I found out less is more. 

My regimen
  1. DE relaxed every 6-8 weeks
  2. Olive Oil straight from the bottle as a moisturizer every 3 days
  3. QP Elastin Sulfate -free Shampoo
  4. Silk pearls by Smooth and Shine.  
This is the healthiest head of hair I've had in my entire life, so that why it was such a let down.  Cry

OK i may see your problem i am relaxed almost waist length i have a youtube channel CHAQUI 11

1. I do not see enough moisture in your regimen
try a water based moisturizer THEN seal it in with a few drops of olive oil 
i use the elasta qp mango butter
or neutrogena triple moisture therapy depending on how i am wearing my hair

2. you are relaxing your hair to often! over try to stretch to 10 weeks then twelve..

My hair is THICK i only relax every three months right now i am four i will br relaxing this weekend
we only grow 1/2 to 1/4 inch a month on average so your hair is over processed
and do you rotate your conditioners moisture and light protein?

how often are you using direct heat flat iron/curling irons etc?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DEgirl2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2013 at 1:56pm
I appreciate your help, but I have never had ANY breakage with DE and I don't have way it down with oils due to dryness.  However, I always have had breakage with Affirm.   It's way too strong for me, which is something she didn't see until I had breakage again.

With Affirm, I could only achieved chin length hair.  I've talked to several people who have had Affirm with my type hair (fine), same thing breakage after the first application of using something else. With DE no breakage, plus my ends are never get dry and she only clips 1/8 to 1/4 inch off after my touch up.  

My hair isn't dry at all, but no matter how much oil was used it was still brittle during that one application of Affirm.  Plus, the stretching doesn't work for me, because my hair grows so fast I can't comb it after 2 months.  I've grown my hair about foot long, and that's in 22 months.  

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply