Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Relaxers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedRelaxer + Brazillian = Trouble?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
lolo818 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxer + Brazillian = Trouble?
    Posted: Jan 03 2011 at 2:02pm

Hi all!

This is my first post, and I'm hoping there is someone out there that can help.

My background: I have been treating my hair (professionally of course); with a no-lye relaxer for approximately 10 years (I'm 27). In August 2010 I received a Brazilian blowout and loved the results (I had a coupon). After four months my roots had grown out. I thought a relaxer touch-up was the next best option (since the blowouts are expensive). However, I spoke with a stylist who claimed she did not want to do a relaxer on me for fear of the chemical reaction with the Brazilian and how it could severely damage my hair (she said she also verified this with the relaxer company she used). I bit the bullet, went back and got another brazillian in December. Well, my hair is soft, but my roots are no straighter, and it's getting out of control. My hair is naturally very kinky and thick, so the roots are natural, but the relaxer brazillian hair is still straight.

I really want to go back to relaxers, but I fear that I will severly damage my hair if I do so (since I have yet to meet a stylist that is educated in both brazillians and relaxers). Does anyone out there know how to make the transition? Will this permenantly damage my hair? I've heard of the Japanese straightning treatment, but maintaining that type of cost on a permenant basis will severely damage my wallet.

Can anyone help?!
~Severly distressed
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 7:33pm
I heard that using a shampoo with sulfates helps remove the Brazilian treatment quicker but don't quote me on that.
dchristi214 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2011 at 9:57pm
Missbossy made a thread about the keratin treatment. Although I think she's natural the info was pretty good..let me see if I can find it.
Lunatique06 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2011 at 10:37pm
I'm not sure what your hairstylist seems to think the problem will be, but mine also damn near had a heart attack when I came in for a touch-up with my Brazilian Blowout, and I turned out fine :)

You're right, it is hard to find a stylist who is knowledgeable in both, and because of that many think that the BB is some kind of chemical treatment, and that they will do serious damage by putting a relaxer over top of it. But before I went in for my touch-up (I had had the BB in for about a month), I called the woman who did the Brazilian on me, I called the Brazilian Blowout Brand question hotline, and I called another black hair salon who performs both, and they all assured me that it was perfectly okay to do a relaxer while rocking a BB!

I only suggest bringing in your sulfate free shampoo and requesting that your hairstylist only neutralize the root area with his/her neutralizing shampoo and the rest with your own shampoo so as not to strip the product from you hair.

But don't worry, you'll be fine, there's no reason for any kind of damage to occur. The BB is just a coating on the top of the hairshaft, the relaxer is won't react to it in any kind of way.

Hope this helped!
MadeInSweden View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2011 at 2:28pm
Hi!

I also always relax my hair. When I did my first BB i didnt relax the NG and the BB only came out really well on the already relaxed hair so after around 4 weeks I relaxed the NG (at home by myself) . Of course the process stripped of some of the BB. So a week later I re did BB and the result was so different. I d say that if yuo want the best result and you have kinky hair, you should relax first. Actually, some of the expert says that it is even better on relaxed hair as the hair is less smooth.

But I guess it all depends on your hair type. Some hair dont do well with relaxers and some hair is soft enough to do BB on directly.

Also, BB is a protein injection so you might want to stay out of extra protein boost the weeks before the BB in order not to get too much protein.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic