BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Relaxed hair and protein overload?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxed hair and protein overload?
    Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 9:09am
o you know how when you start a healthy relaxed hair growth journey, everywhere you look there’s so much emphasis on PROTEIN? Well, that sorta came to bite me in the butt. When I begun my journey I decided to increase my protein levels. Started doing mid-protein treatments, weekly DC’s with ORS hair mayo and monthly protein treatments. All of a sudden my hair got really hard, tangled up more, would be constantly dry and I had no idea where all to moisture I put into it went. I thought I had really porous hair and thought more protein would solve that in a pinch. Yikes. Totally went in the wrong direction. Ever since I realized my error I’ve been slowly trying to reverse it. I’m broke so I can’t throw away my entire stash and buy a new one that might not even work though I’ve totally stopped using all my protein products. I’m slowly using trial and error. Here’s what I’ve noticed so far.

1. Air-drying 100% HASN’T helped at all. After I air-dry my hair tangles up a lot more, feels a lot dryer and breaks all too much. Even when I use leave ins. Unfortunately it’s done a lot more harm than good.

2. Blow-dring, surprisingly HAS helped. Ever since I started blow-drying again(with heat protectant of course!) my hair’s been in a lot better shape and breakage has reduced tremendously. Also, my hair feels at it’s softest and retains moisture longer after I blow-dry. I can’t explain it either!

3. Coconut Oil, unfortunately HASN’T helped as much as I hoped. It’s a shame because I spent my last pretty penny buying a huge bottle from the pharmacy. After I DC’d with it, it made my hair harder than it was before. Probably because of it’s protein binding whatsits that I’ve read about. Although, I still feel like I’m getting a lot more benefits using it than the cold processed castor oil I’ve been using. The hardening wasn’t too drastic but it was still the opposite effect I was hoping for.

4. Constant baggying, HASN’T been much of a friend either. My guess is the continual dampening and drying of my hair put a lot of stress on it. It seemed like it was ruining my hairs ability to retain moisture because soon the effects were only lasting for barely 30 minutes even though I baggied overnight after moisturizing my hair. I decided to start baggying without moisturizing with my hair slicked into a loose bun and as soon as I wake up, seal it in with a drop of oil or a creamy moisturizer and tie it up again. It made things better but not great.

So, anybody else suffering from protein overload or have protein sensitive hair? Have you managed to correct your situation? What have you noticed works and what doesn’t work? If you can, comment on what I’ve listed. I hope I'm not alone trying to get past this.
Sponsored Links

babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 11:24am
I read your whole post and I think you are heading in the right direction because you are able to identify the problems with your hair. My mother who is relaxed also doesn't like airdrying and she stopped and her hair is doing a lot better. Also you can still be protein sensitive with having a relaxer, it seems rare but ulovemegs on youtube only uses light protein treatments. If coconut oil isn't working I reccomend grapeseed oil I have a texturizer and my mom has a relaxer and it works great on the both of us. It is a really light oil. Do what's best for your hair. I love hair boards and they give great advice but, we all have different hair. Oh and I also reccomend clarifying your hair once a month with ACV that might help. Oops I forget and you are right that wet relaxed hair is really weak so make sure you are handling it very carefully when wet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 6:51am
Thanks. Ah and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one sensitive to airdrying. I wish I could get some grapeseed oil but I can't find it where I live. The oils I've found so far are castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, tea tree oil, avocado oil, rosemary oil and I think vitamin E oil somewhere. Unfortunately olive oil also had a similar effect on my hair to coconut oil :(
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 9:17am
I just recovered from protein overload a couple weeks ago, and it wasn't easy. I must have had it for at least two months. I made sure to only use moisturizing products with no trace of protein. It took me a while to realize many of my moisturizing products, and even shampoos, had traces of protein. I also didn't want to spend a lot of money, so I tried getting the most effective and cheapest products I could. the first ones listed helped me the most... 
  • hairveda whipped ends - very good leave-in, a little expensive with shipping, especially if you're buying it alone
  • hairveda sitrinillah - also very good, but can be expensive with shipping
  • aubrey organics honeysuckle rose - also kinda expensive, but it was the most effective in reversing my protein overload. I used it as a deep conditioner and diluted it to use as a leave-in.
  • queen helene cholesterol - has mineral oil, but was very helpful. breakage is a result of protein overload because the hair is stiff and has little elasticity, but this helps restore elasticity.
  • honey & molasses - cheap ingrediants to add to conditioners to give them a moisture boost
  • mane n tail detangler - helped detangling, but I only used it a couple days before washing because it has cones, which will not mix good with protein overload if there is a build up.
  • suave almond & shea butter - simple cheapie conditioner with no protein
my protein overload regimin...
  • deep condition/ cowash once a week with steam - helps the conditioner to penetrate the barriers of protein
  • clarify (with castille soap and jojba oil) every two weeks - clarifying dries the hair, but it also gets rid of the traces of protein. product build up is also not a good combination with protein. the castille soap also opens your hair's pores to take in moisture better. just make sure to close them back afterwards.
  • final avc rinse - to keep ph balance stable since I could no longer us roux ph corrector. this also helps to keep the scalp clean when cowashing and seals in the moisture after deep conditioning.
  • baggying - you said baggying didnt help you, but it really helped me. if I didn't do excessive baggying and wet bunning I'd still have protein overload. what finally got rid of my last traces of protein overload was when I left a bag on for 3 days in a row! with a good leave-in
  • protective styling - I kept my hair in braids (at least 8 total), and later twists. I found the twists worked better from keeping my hair from tangling. I also kept them in the shower because that's when my hair would really tangle. the only times I took them out was to moisturize my hair.

while getting rid of my protein overload, I also learned...

• not to pile your hair with moisturizer or conditioner, because that just creates build up. being light handed if more effective.
  • stay far away from all protein ingredients, even if it's a little bit. especially from any hydrolyzed protein, which means the protein is small and molecular so it can penetrate the hair better.
  • stay away from coconut, avocado, and banana ingredients, especially as a leave-in. coconut helps keep the protein in you hair, and all of them have little traces of protein.
  • don't use any ayurvedic powders like amla, shikakai, and henna, because they all have strengthening properties like protein.
  • extra virgin olive oil and grapeseed oil are the best oils to seal with. especially with relaxed hair because they're light, but penetrating.

hope this helps!

Edited by yahya - Nov 07 2012 at 12:05pm
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 10:07am
Yahya your post is so helpful!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 12:09pm
Wow Yahya! Thanks a million! I don't like to spend too much on my hair either. This will definitely help me a lot. And might I say your hair looks exquisite ^^
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:40pm
haha, thank you and thank you! glad I was helpful.  : ]
and protein overload can take two weeks to six months to correct depending on how off balanced you've gotten yourself into. patience is key when correcting it. so don't let it get you discouraged!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 5:15am
I decided to hop to it and start putting more effort into correcting this. So last night I washed my hair with the tresemme moisture rich shampoo and DC'd overnight with glycerin, honey, water and a teensy bit of castor oil. Didn't want to add any conditioners because I wanted to make sure it would be a 100% moisturizing effect. I woke up and washed it out with the luxurious moisture conditioner. I must say, I could actually see a difference. Usually after I wash my hair my strands look weighed down but they looked so free. The hair closer to my new growth seemed to love it most as it felt a lot softer. I airdried most of the way then blow dried and finally rubbed a little EVOO through it. It got hard after I blow dried because I think I put too much heat protectant :( But the evoo softened it up. I think I'll DC with the glycerin and honey for the next 2 weeks and see if it gets me anywhere. Just hope it won't take me a whole six months. Lol
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2012 at 8:16pm
yay! good for you. I was a little lazy, too, when I started my protein overload regimin, but when I started trying harder was when I started seeing results.

also, one of the symptoms of protein overload is your hair feeling good and well moisturized when you condition it, especially on wet hair, but it feeling hard again when the conditioner "settles in". (this is not to be confused with porous hair, which receives moisture as quickly as it losses it. resulting in DRY hair. with protein overload hair, on the other hand, moisture stays in it for a long time, but when it dries the result is HARD hair.) so I'm not sure if it really was the heat protectant. 

and I doubt it'll take that long, I've only actually heard that happening to one person trying to get her hair balanced. 

Edited by yahya - Nov 08 2012 at 8:32pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 10:55am
Oh yea, I see what you mean. And that's the perfect way to describe it. Hard but not dry. I think people will understand me better if I explain it that way. I have another dilemma though. I really can't afford to invest in any more products at the moment. Though I do have kanekalon hair stocked up and I have one free relaxer appointment at the salon. I've been stretching since July and I'm due for a touch up in mid December. I'm wondering if I should push my appointment 2 or 3 weeks forward and maybe if I do the relaxer without the mid protein treatment I usually do I can break down the protein a little more and make it easier for moisture to penetrate. Or should I braid my hair for the next 2 months? My hair's actually not breaking as much as other people with protein overload complain about.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>