Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reinstalling Weaves Same Day - Hurtful or Helpful?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedReinstalling Weaves Same Day - Hurtful or Helpful?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
spricette21 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reinstalling Weaves Same Day - Hurtful or Helpful?
    Posted: Jul 10 2011 at 11:13pm
Hey everyone, I did a search on this but came up with some conflicting threads:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25680&PN=2&title=weaving-back-to-back

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=464254

One thread almost unanimously says it's okay, the other is the complete opposite.
I just want to get some opinions in general on whether it is okay to weave up the same day you get the last one removed. I've had my current weave in for 2 months now, and it's being removed next week. My hair is relaxed, but I'd say I have about 1 inch or so of new growth since the relaxer. I don't plan on relaxing my horseshoe leave-out. I do plan on letting my stylist take out the weave, dc my hair, trim a little, and then reinstalling. I've seen many threads showing the progress made with weaves, and I can't wait to see what mine looks like when I get the hair removed.

What do you all think? Should I let her remove the hair and take a week or so off to give my hair a break, or is it okay to reinstall the same day?
Sponsored Links

missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2011 at 11:25pm
It really depends on the condition of your hair/scalp.  If it's healthy and you have time constraints it can be done.  I have done it in the past but personally prefer at least 2-3 days break before re-weaving.  My last break was 2 months and I enjoyed that time (well after 1.5 months I enjoyed the 2 week countdown to a new install).  LOL
RiaBoBia View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 3:37am
I agree ^^^^

I grew my hair very well with back to back installs for about 9 months so its not all bad...my last install was insanely tight and I was planning on installing the same day as well and canceled my appt. My scalp was way too tender and sensitive and im sure my hair would have had some breakage, I was already shedding like crazy from being braided up so long. Its only been a few days and already I feel ready for an install so yeah I think it depends on the current condition of your hair/scalp.
OneLove1987 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 10:16am
i've always had semi back to back installs. i'd take my hair out on a friday. hot oil treatment it, wash it, deep condition it and install on saturday or sunday. since i work full time theres really no other time for me to get my hair done. and its been monthhhs since ive relaxed my hair so i feel its stronger to do back to back installs.  with relaxed hair just make sure youre hair is in good condition. i don't see where it would be an issue, i know people say you're hair needs a break or breather but i dont know what that's supposed to mean considering your hair is dead anyway, it doesn't know whats going on lol just be more concerned about your scalp
BeauTfllyBrwn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 11:30am
Everyone is going to have a different experience because no head of hair is the same. Listen/pay attention to the state of your hair and scalp when you take your install down. You have to take in consideration how long you kept the install in, how well you maintained your hair underneath while it was installed, the amount of shedding in correlation with the length of time you had your own hair braided up, the condition of your scalp, tension and if you had severe thinning/breakage. If everything checks out okay then YOU are able to install back to back. 
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 11:32am
well with my baby fine hair.........i just cant do it..like some one says it depends on you and your hair............after one install i have to wait at least 2 months..........my hair cant take all the manipulation
Ejisubroni View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 11:36am
I honestly think its fine to take down and reinstall same day..its pretty much just like getting new cornrows for school as a kid lol...now if its going to abused and pulled and sewn uber tight, thats a dif story. But if its a consistent wash, treat braid and sew pattern you have going on, you have my permission LOL
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2011 at 12:43pm
I would do a protein treatment after the takedown (your or your stylist) because that always helped me with back to back installs and I had no shedding.  I did my sister's takedown yesterday (10.5wks) and she had minimal shedding compared to what she would have had if she had done her takedown(she had a net and was on the verge of matting)Stern Smile. I instruct her to do the aphogee 2 step between installs. Her scalp was tender so she welcomes this 3-4 day break just to recover before being braided back up.
kurlykiss View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2011 at 12:52am
i think its fine as long as you dont plan on relaxing or coloring any of your hair. i colored my hair the same day of an install once and it was hell. i dont think my hair was damaged but my scalp was very irritated. besides that i would say its okay just let her know if the braids are too tight. we gotta be careful with that.
spricette21 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2011 at 3:00pm
Man, I checked the box to get email notifications of this thread and I got squat! Angry

But I'm glad you all responded, and I agree with you now that you mention it. Everyone's head is different, and it just depends on what you personally can take.

I've had the weave in for 2 months, and I'm getting it out next Wednesday so we'll check it out to see if I can reinstall the same day. We'll definitely probably put a protein treatment in it.

Thanks for your advice everyone!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic