Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Color
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Red to Dark Burgundy to Black?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
MissAmEdica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAmEdica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red to Dark Burgundy to Black?
    Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:20pm
i guys :)

I am wondering if anyone has tried something like this, and if so, can you give me some pointers/suggestions on the colors you used and your pre-lightening and coloring techniques?

In case you're wondering, here is my current hair color:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks :O)

Edited by MissAmEdica - Nov 19 2012 at 4:05pm
Sponsored Links

RedSoxtober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by MissAmEdica MissAmEdica wrote:

i guys :)

I am wondering if anyone has tried something like this, and if so, can you give me some pointers/suggestions on the colors you used and your pre-lightening and coloring techniques?

It's tough to say exactly what was done because the top of the head is cut off in the photo. Based on my knowledge and personal experience, there's a few ways I think this look could've been acheived.

1. The hair was previously bleached all over, possibly dyed black (which faded out), prelightened up top then dyed burgundy all over.

2. The top portion of the hair (which looks to be anywhere from a level 2 to 4 dark brown) was  sectioned off in a U-shaped part, pre-lightened to a level 6 or 7 and then a level 5 or 6 burgundy hair dye using a 20 volume developer was applied all over the hair.

3. Thair was previously dyed black, then faded/grown out and a hair color removing technique or product may have been used all over. Afterwards the top was pre-lightened and dyed.

I'll be back to post which shades and types of hair dye may have been used. Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAmEdica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 11:51pm
Thanks so much for your response!

I was the one to crop the top off to get a better idea of the full red look I wanted to achieve on top. Here is the original photo:

I am not interested in dying the yellow coloring, but I wonder if she left her roots black on purpose as part of the look, just to avoid having to touch up? I say that because I've seen photos of it faded out, which makes me believe that the photo with the roots dark were not new growth roots since the color is so vibrant (if that makes sense!).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:53am

The yellow parts are just bleached. Could you post a photo or two of the color faded?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAmEdica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:48am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:36am
It just looks it was previously bleached, dyed black, faded/grown out a while bleached and then just left alone for a few months in the first photo. The faded photos look like they tried to use a honey blonde dye to blend all the colors together better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAmEdica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 11:57am

Ok, I am thinking about sectioning my hair into 4 sections, applying a violet brown to the middle #3 section first since I am wanting a nice violet to gradually fade from the bright red.

Then waiting 5 minutes, then applying the same color to the #4 section, waiting 5 minutes,  then applying a red/violet rown mix to the #2 section, waiting 5 minutes, then applying the red to the top #1 section, then waiting 20 minutes or so to let everything absorb .
These are the colors: Red

I found these tips from here:  http://% http://20www.hairfinder.com/hair3/faded.htm

"When dealing with layered hair (where the ends of the hairs fall to different points vertically) the hair can be sectioned into horizontal segments, working from the top of the head to the bottom of the head (nape of the neck). These segments can be as thick as you want (vertically), but bear in mind that the more “steps” you have the more gradual the transition of the color will appear to be.

After sectioning the hair, we mix the hair color formula as directed and begin applying the color to one segment of the hair at a time. After the bottom segment has been plied with color, we wait 5 minutes and apply the color to the next section up. Wait 5 more minutes, and apply to the next section. And so on. The results will be that the bottom section of hair will process the most darkly, and since the upper sections will have been given progressively less time to process, the hair color will be less pronounced.

The other optional method with one-length hair is to begin applying the haircolor to the ends of the hair approximately 1/5th of the length at a time, working from the ends upward toward the scalp. Wait a few minutes between each 1/5th segment as you work your way upward. This will give you a gradient effect along the length of each hair shaft with the color deepening as you move from scalp to end."

So I know that timing plays a huge role in all of this.

But I am  I'm wondering what level of developer would be best... I might try 30dev. 

If you have any better colors you'd recommend, feel free to let me know :)

Edited by MissAmEdica - Nov 21 2012 at 3:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by MissAmEdica MissAmEdica wrote:

Ok, I am thinking about sectioning my hair into 4 sections, applying a violet brown to the middle #3 section first since I am wanting a nice violet to gradually fade from the bright red.

Then waiting 5 minutes, then applying the same color to the #4 section, waiting 5 minutes,  then applying a red/violet rown mix to the #2 section, waiting 5 minutes, then applying the red to the top #1 section, then waiting 20 minutes or so to let everything absorb .
These are the colors: Red

I found these tips from here:  http://% http://20www.hairfinder.com/hair3/faded.htm

"When dealing with layered hair (where the ends of the hairs fall to different points vertically) the hair can be sectioned into horizontal segments, working from the top of the head to the bottom of the head (nape of the neck). These segments can be as thick as you want (vertically), but bear in mind that the more “steps” you have the more gradual the transition of the color will appear to be.

After sectioning the hair, we mix the hair color formula as directed and begin applying the color to one segment of the hair at a time. After the bottom segment has been plied with color, we wait 5 minutes and apply the color to the next section up. Wait 5 more minutes, and apply to the next section. And so on. The results will be that the bottom section of hair will process the most darkly, and since the upper sections will have been given progressively less time to process, the hair color will be less pronounced.

The other optional method with one-length hair is to begin applying the haircolor to the ends of the hair approximately 1/5th of the length at a time, working from the ends upward toward the scalp. Wait a few minutes between each 1/5th segment as you work your way upward. This will give you a gradient effect along the length of each hair shaft with the color deepening as you move from scalp to end."

So I know that timing plays a huge role in all of this.

But I am  I'm wondering what level of developer would be best... I might try 30dev. 

If you have any better colors you'd recommend, feel free to let me know :)

I've never attempted this technique but, it sounds like you'll really need to work fast in order to color each portion in 5 minute intervals.  Exactly which hair dyes are you planning to use?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAmEdica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 11:59pm
Loreal HiColors in Red, possibly Magenta to paint on to help make the transition to the Agebeautiful darkest plum brown color I got at Sally's :  see on her: 
(she has some highlights in there where lightener were first applied on)

I also purchased 30 developer for the two brands as advised by someone working at Sally's.

This was the first video that I kind of got an idea of how to apply colors to multiple layers of hair: 
http://www.videofy.me/murderotic/261134

Now I'm really stuck on deciding if I want to do a gradient type coloring, or if I want to actually color different layers. it seems like in the look I'm going for she has both? certain strands are gradient, others look just colored one color.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 1:12am
You could do this: Part your hair from ear to ear, dye the bottom layer of your hair Deepest Plum. Then for the top you could do the gradient work with red and magenta. This should give you the same effect with half of the work.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic