Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommendations for Vitamin C for Face

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 21>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
honeyb87 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote honeyb87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Claudie Claudie wrote:

I had a busy day, I will send the information that I promised in about one hour.

Vitamin E is not a preservative, it is an Antioxidant.  Once liquid is introduced to a mixture; it requires a proper preservative. Vitamin E prevents oils from going rancid. If you have a mixture with oils alone, it is fine to use Vitamin E.  Bacteria, yeast are not visible to the naked eye, molds can go undetected at times.

Two hard to preserve ingredients are glycerin and aloe vera.  It is vital to sterilize your work area,  and everything that you use.  I use a bleach solution.  Alcohol is fine to use.  Do not use tap water, use distilled water.  Use alcohol to sanitize any container you use, let it sit for a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate.  Then store your mixture in the container.  Sticking wet fingers in a product with only oil, will produce bacteria, mold, yeast. 

Liquids should really go thorough a heat and hold process.

Thanks for this. My aromatherapy teacher told me to use vitamin e to make my body scrub and serums last longer Cry

Sponsored Links

Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:05am
Originally posted by honeyb87 honeyb87 wrote:

Originally posted by Claudie Claudie wrote:

I had a busy day, I will send the information that I promised in about one hour.

Vitamin E is not a preservative, it is an Antioxidant.  Once liquid is introduced to a mixture; it requires a proper preservative. Vitamin E prevents oils from going rancid. If you have a mixture with oils alone, it is fine to use Vitamin E.  Bacteria, yeast are not visible to the naked eye, molds can go undetected at times.

Two hard to preserve ingredients are glycerin and aloe vera.  It is vital to sterilize your work area,  and everything that you use.  I use a bleach solution.  Alcohol is fine to use.  Do not use tap water, use distilled water.  Use alcohol to sanitize any container you use, let it sit for a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate.  Then store your mixture in the container.  Sticking wet fingers in a product with only oil, will produce bacteria, mold, yeast. 

Liquids should really go thorough a heat and hold process.

Thanks for this. My aromatherapy teacher told me to use vitamin e to make my body scrub and serums last longer Cry.

If a product does not contain water, such as some body scrubs.  Then, and only then it is okay to use Vitamin E as an Antioxidant, and to protect the oils from going rancid.  When someone dip a wet or dirty hand, in a container of body scrub that is not preserved it pose a problem.

Grape Seed Extract, ROE, Vtamin E, and the list goes on preserves nothing.  Using no preservative or more preservative is just as bad. 

Sadly, this is one of the reason why the FDA will start cracking down on small manufacturers like myself.  Although, we do all the right things; we are affected by the people who are misguided, and it is costing us money and a lot of paperwork. 

Sure a company can fly under the radar, but it is not worth it.  In a short time if they do not comply with the rules, there are hefty fines to pay.   

Edited by Claudie - Nov 05 2012 at 12:09am
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 2:29pm
I bought the supplies over the weekend minus the amber colored jar to make my own.

PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 2:33pm
Oh wow! I just read that L-ascorbic acid can be sprinkled on fruit to prevent browning when serving or storing. Claudie, please verify that this is safe before I -poison my peoples.LOL

thanks
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Rumbera Rumbera wrote:

I bought the supplies over the weekend minus the amber colored jar to make my own.

I already have a ton of jars for making scents. I think I will make some 1oz bottles to give to girlfriends.  After I use for a   few weeks, I can give my own recommendations to them. I will be sure to tell them to use it quickly.

Edited by PurpleHaze - Nov 05 2012 at 2:37pm
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 2:45pm
I was thinking about making some for my gf, as well.

Going to test it out on myself first. Really wasn't planning on making my own but why not.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 3:13pm
I posted  that I would be making some Vit C serum and within 2 seconds one GF had already put in a request lol.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 3:13pm
^^and a [straight] guy friend! lol
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

Oh wow! I just read that L-ascorbic acid can be sprinkled on fruit to prevent browning when serving or storing. Claudie, please verify that this is safe before I -poison my peoples.LOL

thanks

The philosophy turbo booster c that I just bought has an example of this on the box..
It has two pieces of apple together (cut in half) and shows 1 that is all brown (the way an apple gets after sitting out) and another that has been sprinkled with ascorbic acid and it is normal color.
Than it goes into a few sentences about how it protects from free radicals and how it's great for your skin/aging
Very interesting...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 6:58pm
thanks coco. So I guess it's safe. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair