Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Homemade Hair Recipes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedRecipes for Natural Relaxers?

Post Reply Post Reply
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
GoatGoatEtc. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recipes for Natural Relaxers?
    Posted: Apr 18 2011 at 4:16am
Edit/Update:9/14/11-My problem's been solved-I tried it and didn't like it. Any suggestions of what to do with my second package of coconut cream? I'd like to make a moisture treatment.

I checked the Relaxers forum and anything natural was non-existent.
Just wondered if any of you ladies had recipes or links for getting your curls to stretch...
Also was looking for info on why some natural products work to relax the hair.

But anywho, heard about the coco cream concentrate, coconut oil, and yogurt recipe but is there anything EXTRA some of you use? Or completely different?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by GoatGoatEtc. - Sep 14 2011 at 9:56pm
Sponsored Links

Marianneh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2011 at 1:46pm

Hey,

I am not sure if you are still looking out for this...I just joined today and saw your post hasn't had any replies yet. I only just heard about these types of "relaxer" last month and first have to say that I think the term natural "relaxer" is a little "too much" (lack of a better word). I can only talk from personal experience and my point of view and I would deem this as a natural deep conditioner with proteins (all the ingredients used are edible). It can have a loosening effect for some hair types (depending on how tightly curled your hair is and the texture etc). Some women have said that it has loosened their hair while others said it didn’t work.

I think it is safe to say that no one has had their hair straighten (relaxed) due to this treatment seeing as all the ingredients are natural and edible therefore we would have serious internal issues if we were eating products that have that sort of effect on hair! :D Also it is not a "quick fix" type thing... as far as I know you need to repeat this over time since the ingredients do not have the same chemicals and or harshness as "normal relaxers" which work in one session.

I have so far tried it once and there was a tiny bit of loosening (for me) but I definitely felt that my hair was super soft, I had a lot more movement (when I shake my head) :) but then again my hair did hang before I did the treatment, and so much moisture! I plan on continuing with the treatment even if I do not get the loosening effect. I have posted a few links I found while researching. I made a few modifications to my own treatment.

I used:
6 oz natural full fat plain yogurt
5 oz coconut cream (mine was the liquid type in a can)
2 tbsp of natural coconut oil
2 tbsp of molasses
1-2 tbsp of corn starch (used to thicken the mixture as it is very runny and messy).

Some of the links I posted below used the same or similar ingredients (add/remove) a few to time. There is also a "Caramel treatment" which apparently has similar effects... I haven't tried this yet but will see how the coconut treatment works out for me as I plan on tracking the progress.

I hope this helps! :D

Coconut treatment links:

http://www.blackhairinformation.com/hair-treatments-and-recipes/the-coconut-and-lime-treatment-for-natural-black-hair/
http://curlydiva.wordpress.com/2010/08/26/coconut-creme-curl-loosener/#comments
http://goodhairdiaries.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-to-loosen-your-curls-naturally.html
http://www.africurl.com/hairsoftenerrecipies.htm

Caramel treatment links:

http://www.blackhairinformation.com/hair-treatments-and-recipes/the-caramel-treatment-a-natural-hair-softener/
http://derbycitynaturals.wordpress.com/2011/03/28/diy-caramel-treatment/
http://www.nappydelphia.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

Good Luck! And please do tell me about your experience if you try them out.

P.s. when I did the treatment I actually did a two twist I my hair which was extremely messy but I feel was work the effort

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2011 at 8:45pm
HAhahaha! I'm surprised you revived this. Yes a natural relaxer doesn't exist. I was looking for something that would loosen the hell out of the curls in the back of my head. But of course I was transitioning at the time and wasn't willing to straighten my new growth or BC yet.

So Idk what happened but brushing my hair in all the wrong ways broke off a noticeable amount of my relaxed hair and eventually my curls in back grew long enough and loose enough it wasn't a problem anymore.

Also I tried the coconut cream relaxer and I guess the yogurt gave me super protein (but I didn't measure and didn't have all the ingredients) or maybe striped my hair but my hair felt rough in a weird way I can't describe.

But thanks though.
eamarsha View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2011 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by GoatGoatEtc. GoatGoatEtc. wrote:

HAhahaha! I'm surprised you revived this. Yes a natural relaxer doesn't exist. I was looking for something that would loosen the hell out of the curls in the back of my head. But of course I was transitioning at the time and wasn't willing to straighten my new growth or BC yet.

So Idk what happened but brushing my hair in all the wrong ways broke off a noticeable amount of my relaxed hair and eventually my curls in back grew long enough and loose enough it wasn't a problem anymore.

Also I tried the coconut cream relaxer and I guess the yogurt gave me super protein (but I didn't measure and didn't have all the ingredients) or maybe striped my hair but my hair felt rough in a weird way I can't describe.

But thanks though.

Yes, it made my HARD HARD HARD too.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2011 at 9:51pm
I love pulling on my coils in back now, they're so springy <3

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2011 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by eamarsha eamarsha wrote:

Originally posted by GoatGoatEtc. GoatGoatEtc. wrote:

But thanks though.

Yes, it made my HARD HARD HARD too.
That's probably it-so much protein. But if I'm ever in a protein fix, I know what to do now.
Also I think I got fatfree yogurt and my hair was that messed up hard. So guess next time fatness will do me some good, haha.

Edited by GoatGoatEtc. - Sep 14 2011 at 9:54pm

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2011 at 10:03pm
Also didnt like because of the flakes in the coconut cream

Originally posted by Napp Napp wrote:

i applied put on a cap and left it. when i washed it out i had so much flecks of cocnut in my hair and it took a while to get it all out. next time i will fully melt the creamed coconut and strain it or use a cheese cloth to get out the cocnut flakes before putting it in my hair.

I'll strain it next time.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic