Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Graduated? Unemployed??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 10:59am
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

ok boo.. do your thang!

i need a rich friend to treat me nice..lol

lol

you would be the rich friend in this dyad
Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

ok boo.. do your thang!

i need a rich friend to treat me nice..lol

lol

you would be the rich friend in this dyad

i need powerful friends so my kids wont go through this. for real. mommy will call up Auntie so and so and Uncle so and so.......that's how whites do it
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:32pm

my dad is always trying to get me to call people he knows that do research but unfortunately I don't want to do what they are doing

I have reached out to like 5 people (maybe not a lot) and I have no desire to do what they do or have done
teendiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:35pm
Yeah all I hear about is the job market... Like don't major in such and such because there aren't enough jobs. I've also heard peopl suggest against grad school, weird.
Maybe you could teach. Good luck with your job search.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:37pm

I actually think I screwed up by talking to a lot of people and not doing enough internet searches

I'm not that type to sit around and not seek information that will help me advance my career

unfortunately, the only people I spoke with that seemed to get what I wanted to do came into my life late in my academic career, most were like if "you get a Ph.D. you can only teach or be a clinician"

that is why I encourage people to do as many internet searches as possible and follow up with people/programs that interest you veryyyyy early on

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jan 26 2013 at 1:38pm
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:41pm
i would suggest also joining a professional org. i know that sounds cheesy and whack and when i was younger i legit didnt do this--well i had no profession--but i am in one and i legit have emailed random people asking for advice, speaking to them, and then asking for jobs. 2 of them do exactly what i want to do--and have helped/passed my resume along, agreed to help me with an event i am planning. even if they do not give me a job per se...the IP world is NOT that big and just having people know your name...is a big start.

i also went to the conference last year in DC and forced myself to meet people and to talk. made great connects who again are helping me with my event.  i am applying for a scholarship to attend the annual conference this year.

hit up professors as well. prof. know people. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:47pm

I am apart of one and have presented at two conferences for that org already and will hopefully present a third time in May

in grad school I emailed people on my campus, people at other universities, set up meetings with professors in different departments and meeting with professors in my own dept

I honestly think I should have done that plus more internet searches

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jan 26 2013 at 1:47pm
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:50pm
I honestly think I'm going to be at my current job forever.
I'm too lazy to start networking and such.

I thank Oprah all almighty that I was able to get into my career before i was forced to make a linkedin account.  lol
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:59pm

lol

but for instance this cert I want to get....

I was doing a search for classes and what not and came across this program

had I found it earlier I could have moved back home sooner and completed a class or two while I was looking for a job.

now I will have to find a way to fit this into my work schedule, luckily one of my bosses is familiar with the program and thinks it is a great idea.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 2:00pm

I honestly think I'm going to be at my current job forever.
I'm too lazy to start networking and such.

I thank Oprah all almighty that I was able to get into my career before i was forced to make a linkedin account.  lol

you're also lucky you've never had to switch firms.  that seems quite common. i emailed my 2 prof. for something and they BOTH had left the firm...and one was a partner.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>