Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Recently Graduated? Unemployed??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
talldee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talldee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 7:08am
Pre-med?  So was I, please look into laboratory work. I was 23 with Bio degrees and no where to go but
retail. 

LABCORP
QUEST
PATHGROUP
GENOZMYE
PATHLAB

the list goes on and on and are always hiring, I been with labcorp since 1997,
many ladies here have masters in public health as well lol, but all that was needed at
any lab is a BA degree.

Email me if you like
Sponsored Links

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 7:30am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

after some googling (I can't sleep :( )

I think I will try a hybrid resume.....

I will say I didn't get call backs until I changed my resume format, used to do bullets only

but like you all have said my current format may work in my field but would not in others

It's possible that when you used bullets your resume was missing the keywords the robots use when they search and flag resumes for humans . Focus on content before you cut.
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 10:31am
leave your resume the way it is boo.
its obviously working for you.
you are published!!!! lol

but for my profession paragraphs wont do.

pity hit it that nail on the head. Attorneys dont want to read flowy paragraphs.

they want it to be straight to the point w/ as little words "or transitions" if you will.

they like that.
I've done this.
I can do that.
type of thing. ....lol no need to make it flow. just get to the point as quickly as possible.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 10:58am
ok boo.. do your thang!

i need a rich friend to treat me nice..lol

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

ok boo.. do your thang!

i need a rich friend to treat me nice..lol

lol

you would be the rich friend in this dyad

i need powerful friends so my kids wont go through this. for real. mommy will call up Auntie so and so and Uncle so and so.......that's how whites do it
teendiva View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teendiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:35pm
Yeah all I hear about is the job market... Like don't major in such and such because there aren't enough jobs. I've also heard peopl suggest against grad school, weird.
Maybe you could teach. Good luck with your job search.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:41pm
i would suggest also joining a professional org. i know that sounds cheesy and whack and when i was younger i legit didnt do this--well i had no profession--but i am in one and i legit have emailed random people asking for advice, speaking to them, and then asking for jobs. 2 of them do exactly what i want to do--and have helped/passed my resume along, agreed to help me with an event i am planning. even if they do not give me a job per se...the IP world is NOT that big and just having people know your name...is a big start.

i also went to the conference last year in DC and forced myself to meet people and to talk. made great connects who again are helping me with my event.  i am applying for a scholarship to attend the annual conference this year.

hit up professors as well. prof. know people. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 1:50pm
I honestly think I'm going to be at my current job forever.
I'm too lazy to start networking and such.

I thank Oprah all almighty that I was able to get into my career before i was forced to make a linkedin account.  lol
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

I honestly think I'm going to be at my current job forever.
I'm too lazy to start networking and such.

I thank Oprah all almighty that I was able to get into my career before i was forced to make a linkedin account.  lol

you're also lucky you've never had to switch firms.  that seems quite common. i emailed my 2 prof. for something and they BOTH had left the firm...and one was a partner.
Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 2:56pm
@samone - do you have an idea of what you want to do next (ideal job title) or are you still feeling it out? i want to start my own nonprofit but unsure of what area i want to focus in, so am still trying to feel it out and volunteer at different places to get an idea of what i want to do.

@nyc- are you in a firm here in dc? if i remember correctly you were moving to take a job here. how are you liking it? im sure the dynamics are a bit different from ny.

i work in the nonprofit field, but come across SO many people of different professions. because i am the executive director of one, we are always partnering with folks for my nonprofit and am so lucky to meet and network with folks in top positions across various fields. i know so many partners, lawyers its ridic. so i am always happy to make connections for folks.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
  Share Topic