BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Recently Graduated? Unemployed??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:00pm
resume full of bullets over here. lol
Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

ive actually never heard the non-bullet point advice. it would never work in my field to write a story.

interesting

lawyers read but the point is to be succinct 
aint nobody got time for narratives

lol

It's more about expanding a bit on the bullet point

same info but in a short paragraph that flows
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:55pm
I started on Craigslist. but you can also just do a Google search for:

brand ambassador agencies
experiential promotions
spokesmodel work

Not all jobs are considered equal. When I started I was open to all pay rates, but (depending on your city as location determines rates) I stopped doing promos for less than $20/hr and that was back in '05.

If you're 21+, focus on liquor promos as you usually do less work and make more money. The going rate (here in NYC) is minimum $20/hr for liquor promos and you usually work 4hrs. Altho for a liquor promo, (in NYC) I prefer $35/hr.

In a major market, there are promos happening multiple times every day. Smaller markets - not so much. And yes it tasks vary from handing out samples on the street (street sampling/street intercepts), doing liquor samplings (on/off premise tastings), trade shows (sales rep/spokesmodel work), long term promos (lasting more than one or two days - can be as much as a year or more), etc.

Often times these companies will let you work your way up to become an account exec where you're actually managing campaigns rather than being the person on the street. And keep in mind, while you're doing these promos, your schedule is still mostly your own so you can still look for a job and take these experiences and "tweak" them to add to your resume. Although I would say you worked for the actual promo company, not the brand.

There's tons of agencies you can sign up with, of course invoicing is always important. Some pay within 2 weeks, some within a month and God forbid, some are net45. Stay away from net45 and for sure anyone who says net60 as that's BS.

Some good ones that have been around forever, pay on time and are national:

GC Marketing Services
Attack Marketing
Productions Plus
Big Orange
Promosynthesis

I can't speak to other markets, but yes LA, LV, NYC, Miami, Boston & Chicago have tons of daily postings on Craigslist for promos. But then again, these are also cities that normally have a lot of activity in general. I use CL to source freelance clients from time to time and these cities are always active.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 3:21am

after some googling (I can't sleep :( )

I think I will try a hybrid resume.....

I will say I didn't get call backs until I changed my resume format, used to do bullets only

but like you all have said my current format may work in my field but would not in others
talldee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talldee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 7:08am
Pre-med?  So was I, please look into laboratory work. I was 23 with Bio degrees and no where to go but
retail. 

LABCORP
QUEST
PATHGROUP
GENOZMYE
PATHLAB

the list goes on and on and are always hiring, I been with labcorp since 1997,
many ladies here have masters in public health as well lol, but all that was needed at
any lab is a BA degree.

Email me if you like
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 7:30am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

after some googling (I can't sleep :( )

I think I will try a hybrid resume.....

I will say I didn't get call backs until I changed my resume format, used to do bullets only

but like you all have said my current format may work in my field but would not in others

It's possible that when you used bullets your resume was missing the keywords the robots use when they search and flag resumes for humans . Focus on content before you cut.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 9:28am
The same key words were there just in bullets
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 10:31am
leave your resume the way it is boo.
its obviously working for you.
you are published!!!! lol

but for my profession paragraphs wont do.

pity hit it that nail on the head. Attorneys dont want to read flowy paragraphs.

they want it to be straight to the point w/ as little words "or transitions" if you will.

they like that.
I've done this.
I can do that.
type of thing. ....lol no need to make it flow. just get to the point as quickly as possible.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 10:41am

I'm always looking to improve nyc lol

Being published is great and all but I'm trying to make moves right now so anything I can do to get a better position/pay I am up for

I still have my non bullet resume but I'm trying to see what it looks like with bullets and then I will try to add back a sentence or two if needed.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 26 2013 at 10:58am
ok boo.. do your thang!

i need a rich friend to treat me nice..lol

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair