Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Recently Graduated? Unemployed??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MinnyMiss16 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnyMiss16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by MinnyMiss16 MinnyMiss16 wrote:

PM me when you find out! I live in Jersey btw, willing to commute to New YorkCry

I've found (and this is definitely unfair) that putting a commuter addy on resumes will make them pass you over. As someone who's had to hire while I was working for other companies (as I know work for myself), the actual owners (I always worked for small companies) shied away from hiring anyone with a commute more than 20 minutes. It's stupid but so many ppl act like you can't find your way to Manhattan unless you live in THAT borough. Even Bx, or Staten Island can be a reason ppl don't get called in for an interview.

I originally lived in Jersey when I first started working, and the best thing I ever did was getting a mailing address in Manhattan. I still have that address to this day which I use for my business. But at least my supposed "proximity" to the job didn't keep me from getting the interview.

Can you tell me more about the promoting that you did? I think I could get into that.
Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 5:59pm
ive actually never heard the non-bullet point advice. it would never work in my field to write a story.
tbaby123 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbaby123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by modelbusiness82 modelbusiness82 wrote:

Originally posted by tbaby123 tbaby123 wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by Junior Jr Junior Jr wrote:

LMFAO @ 3 weeks. sh*t, im offended.

jr.

right?LOL

hahah i knowww.. but what the hell am i supposed to do in the mean time?!
lol my friend told me to just do waitressing or something, just so at
least i'm doing something.. i mean im also working on my thesis so
hopefully that'll keep me busy

Where are you based?
Location plays a lot into this. No lie, in NYC, you can get by doing
something alternate that can still be lucrative until an ideal position
opens up. I know a lot of ppl who got into marketing/sales because they
were doing promotional work. It's no shame, the hours are flexible and
you can make good money. Before I started at the pharma company, I spent
a yr doing promos and trade show work. I didn't work a 9-5 and I sh!t
you not, I made $45K that yr - mostly off the books. Plus I networked
and met a lot of ppl - many of whom I deal with now for my own company.

Doing
the pharma job was actually a step down in pay but at the time I really
wanted something more stable as promo work can be a bit of a hustle
during the off season if that's not your thing.

I'm in boston... So I'm sure there might be opportunities for promo work.. How did you get into an agency? Or is it more of like you go on Craigslist?? Not trying to get shanked lol
tbaby123 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbaby123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 6:03pm
Also! For others in my position.. I strted doing clinical trials.. Got 250 bucks to watch 20 min videos of spiders three days in a row
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

You really have to decide what is important to you, money or passion in what you do. Very few people are able to have both.

Networking is the key to really succeed in any field you choose as well as understanding your market worth. I work in Network Security but I originally went to school for Journalism. I had to adapt to the changing and emerging needs of today's society. And it worked out to my benefit. I know people who went to law school and practiced and were successful only to leave it all and do home renovations and become even more successful.

The key is to not be discourage and not see your degree as your only way out and certainly not see it as a mistake or a waste of time. All knowledge adds value to who you are. You just have to sell it. And everything is marketable. Art degrees, Physical Therapy, History Degrees, Marine Biology....they all matter.

I wish everyone good luck because I know how hard it can be.

< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">
Sweetest/Best post Ever lol!!!!
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 6:47pm
i know a couple of MPH's. they are not highly placed at the moment. but it think both of them have great careers ahead of them. 
if you want to go the corporate route, aim for a science and technology company (biotech, pharma, etc..) aim low to get your foot in the door (admin type role or lab tech), then apply for better jobs after a couple of years and let the ladder climbing commence. 
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

ive actually never heard the non-bullet point advice. it would never work in my field to write a story.

interesting

lawyers read but the point is to be succinct 
aint nobody got time for narratives
Spokenword View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spokenword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Originally posted by tbaby123 tbaby123 wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I want to add that if your resume is full of bullet points, throw it out

Act is if you are writing a brief, 5 sentence (a little more or less) story about your past and current work experience, per position. Make it sound as interesting as possible instead of a boring listing of your tasks at work.

Also try to make your cover letters fit not only the position but the company as well

If you are applying for the same type of work during your search it makes sense that major edits are not required for every letter but your intro and closing paragraphs should always be unique

for both resume and cover letter, use keywords that are in the job description

Whoa really?? My resume is all bullet points.. I even took it to my career services and she didn't say anything about it.. my school is so useless. She did advice me on using keywords that are in the job description though

I would take that advice with a grain of salt...depending on what career field your in.

i agree. it depends on the profession. i do like a mix of a brief description of what you did at that job, then add a few bullets to highlight successes.

most people viewing your resume will scan, and need to see those highlighted buzz words quickly. personally, my resume is a combination. i have viewed several resumes done many ways. but you should frame it around what is popular for your profession.

nycdiva357 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nycdiva357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 7:00pm
resume full of bullets over here. lol
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2013 at 10:55pm
I started on Craigslist. but you can also just do a Google search for:

brand ambassador agencies
experiential promotions
spokesmodel work

Not all jobs are considered equal. When I started I was open to all pay rates, but (depending on your city as location determines rates) I stopped doing promos for less than $20/hr and that was back in '05.

If you're 21+, focus on liquor promos as you usually do less work and make more money. The going rate (here in NYC) is minimum $20/hr for liquor promos and you usually work 4hrs. Altho for a liquor promo, (in NYC) I prefer $35/hr.

In a major market, there are promos happening multiple times every day. Smaller markets - not so much. And yes it tasks vary from handing out samples on the street (street sampling/street intercepts), doing liquor samplings (on/off premise tastings), trade shows (sales rep/spokesmodel work), long term promos (lasting more than one or two days - can be as much as a year or more), etc.

Often times these companies will let you work your way up to become an account exec where you're actually managing campaigns rather than being the person on the street. And keep in mind, while you're doing these promos, your schedule is still mostly your own so you can still look for a job and take these experiences and "tweak" them to add to your resume. Although I would say you worked for the actual promo company, not the brand.

There's tons of agencies you can sign up with, of course invoicing is always important. Some pay within 2 weeks, some within a month and God forbid, some are net45. Stay away from net45 and for sure anyone who says net60 as that's BS.

Some good ones that have been around forever, pay on time and are national:

GC Marketing Services
Attack Marketing
Productions Plus
Big Orange
Promosynthesis

I can't speak to other markets, but yes LA, LV, NYC, Miami, Boston & Chicago have tons of daily postings on Craigslist for promos. But then again, these are also cities that normally have a lot of activity in general. I use CL to source freelance clients from time to time and these cities are always active.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic