Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Graduated? Unemployed??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tbaby123 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbaby123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:19am
oh! to anyone else looking for jobs and is a recent graduate, there is that new student pathways program that is supposed to help for finding jobs and i thnik they also have career training fellowships

https://www.usajobs.gov/StudentJobs

that's the website
Sponsored Links

pattigurlatl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (16) Thanks(16)   Quote pattigurlatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:28am
You really have to decide what is important to you, money or passion in what you do. Very few people are able to have both.

Networking is the key to really succeed in any field you choose as well as understanding your market worth. I work in Network Security but I originally went to school for Journalism. I had to adapt to the changing and emerging needs of today's society. And it worked out to my benefit. I know people who went to law school and practiced and were successful only to leave it all and do home renovations and become even more successful.

The key is to not be discourage and not see your degree as your only way out and certainly not see it as a mistake or a waste of time. All knowledge adds value to who you are. You just have to sell it. And everything is marketable. Art degrees, Physical Therapy, History Degrees, Marine Biology....they all matter.

I wish everyone good luck because I know how hard it can be.

< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">
tbaby123 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbaby123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:44am
@pattigurl you have been thanked!! I just need to sit down and think about what I ultimately want.... to be honest, when i was younger i was goo-goo ga-ga about working in non-profit, doing something alturistic and humanitarian..  I was a big sister for 4 years and absolutely loved it.. but at the same time, money is important and I know i want to live better than I do at the moment. my passion for women's development has kinda dwindled a bit..  but i'm not sure if it's because i'm so pressed in making bank or if it is because I actually am not as interested in it due to various reasons such as  my experience in my program, learning more about other fields, etc 
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:50am
Shocked

*takes notes*

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

You really have to decide what is important to you, money or passion in what you do. Very few people are able to have both.

Networking is the key to really succeed in any field you choose as well as understanding your market worth. I work in Network Security but I originally went to school for Journalism. I had to adapt to the changing and emerging needs of today's society. And it worked out to my benefit. I know people who went to law school and practiced and were successful only to leave it all and do home renovations and become even more successful.

The key is to not be discourage and not see your degree as your only way out and certainly not see it as a mistake or a waste of time. All knowledge adds value to who you are. You just have to sell it. And everything is marketable. Art degrees, Physical Therapy, History Degrees, Marine Biology....they all matter.

I wish everyone good luck because I know how hard it can be.

< id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display:none;">
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by r0ck_starr r0ck_starr wrote:

Girl I am so there with you!

I just graduated in June with a B.A. in History. I was headed to law school - teaching - then law school again. I've finally settled on wanting to be a special education teacher. However, when I first left college I couldn't find a job to save my life. I blamed everything from myself to my major and it seemed like everyone had a job but me. I finally got a full time job in retail in the mall as a manager in training. I hated it! I got another one to make more money and quite that too. It isn't worth being unhappy and folding clothes with a degree. After I quit, I took a long break and decided to look for something that I would actually want to do. I quit in the early part of December and I was unemployed for about a month. I was completely frustrated before I found something again. I was like how am I going to pay for my car and I'm tired of not being able to afford going out. 
Finally, I went on Craiglist as I do everyday and found a part time position at a non-profit about 8 minutes away from where I live. It's only part time but its exactly what I want to do. They're even giving me my own classroom to work with the special education students exclusively. So all I have to say is keep working at it and don't give up even if you only get a little ahead. Before I found work I tutored privately so make you find some fliers about what you're offering. Also, volunteer. I still volunteer at an elementary school. You CAN do this!

We have the same major so you have me spooked. What state are you in?
AmyAmyAmy View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmyAmyAmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 12:14pm
Girl i have 9 months to kill before uniDead

I need 4k for living cost too

I'm so frustrated!!! 
*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Belle*Femme* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by tbaby123 tbaby123 wrote:

oh! to anyone else looking for jobs and is a recent graduate, there is that new student pathways program that is supposed to help for finding jobs and i thnik they also have career training fellowships

https://www.usajobs.gov/StudentJobs

that's the website
anything for nurses?
MinnyMiss16 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MinnyMiss16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 12:37pm
Hey fellow unemployed college graduates lmaoo! I cant find anything in my field (but it doesnt matter because I got accepted into grad school for what I really want to do). I blame my unemployment on the fact that I came back from an internship in Ghana in July and was behind everyone else who was looking. I was only able to score a temp for one month since then. Im depressed af as my loans are coming up soon.

but Samone hook me up with your brother. I got my undergraduate degree in evolutionary anthropology. He might have some connections for me through archeaology. Big smile
lolabelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lolabelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 12:37pm
There is a yahoo group called black public Heath professionals that you could join . The group is vey informative and helpful .
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by MinnyMiss16 MinnyMiss16 wrote:

Hey fellow unemployed college graduates lmaoo! I cant find anything in my field (but it doesnt matter because I got accepted into grad school for what I really want to do). I blame my unemployment on the fact that I came back from an internship in Ghana in July and was behind everyone else who was looking. I was only able to score a temp for one month since then. Im depressed af as my loans are coming up soon.

but Samone hook me up with your brother. I got my undergraduate degree in evolutionary anthropology. He might have some connections for me through archeaology. Big smile

he worked in tidewater VA, he has since moved

he loved his first job but did not like the last one down there lol I can ask him if he has any connects

he actually was able to get his latest job via an associate. both have the same work history......networking is awesome! lol
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style