BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Recently Graduated? Unemployed??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 10:34am
did you do any internships?

the law market is hard and essentially i am just trying to network my black ass off.
Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 10:35am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

what do people usually get jobs in with a degree in history? No shade i usually think in a museum or as a teacher or something.

my brother has a BA in history, he originally wanted to be a history teacher

he then got his MA in Archeology, did that for 10 years

then got a GIS cert and now does GIS for a research firm
Maple Syrup View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maple Syrup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 10:42am
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by Maple Syrup Maple Syrup wrote:

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Originally posted by tbaby123 tbaby123 wrote:

Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

what's your masters in?

public health... but the issue is that I don't want to work in what seems to be the stereotypical public health job.. which are community health centers and even hospitals.. I realize that I should've figured that out before investing my time and money into a degree but whatever.. you live and you learn.. so i am talking to people and researching other ways to use my degree in something I like slash in an environment I like.. if that makes sense

You kinda caused this situation yourself. You're getting a degree in public health but you don't want a public health job. Not only that but you don't want to move away from home.

ConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfusedConfused

But you could go into consulting.

Consultants usually have years and years of experience under their belts.

OP, you should try getting a "stereotypical" public health Job to gain experience, build up your resume, and network. Who knows, you might find a position that is more suited to you later on.

And sorry, moving to Canada is not a viable option right now.

that is not true. consulting firms hired undergrads from my school all the time

Your right, I was thinking about something else.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 10:45am

that's great Rockstar! i'm glad things are coming together for you.. 

My undergraduate was premed majoring in biology and bioethics... i decided 4th year I didn't wanna do pre-med anymore (infact i decided i wanted to do business earlier but my parents wouldn't let me switch) anyhoo i figured public health would be the most logical next step... excepttttt it wasn't lol i can't imagine working for a community health center with my classmates

I am looking into consulting.. applied to 3 places and got a second interview at a boutique firm.. i'm also looking into pharmas as well.. 

beware
r0ck_starr View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r0ck_starr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

what do people usually get jobs in with a degree in history? No shade i usually think in a museum or as a teacher or something.

Ive only seen them become teachers.
\

It's a very common undergraduate degree to prepare for law school. That's why I did it. For that and teaching. But I don't want to teach history necessarily.
tbaby123 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbaby123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 10:55am
Originally posted by miamiu miamiu wrote:

I am sure you already have but have you looked into health agencies programs the CDC/HHS has the Emerging leaders programs for people with Masters degrees. Have you looked into jobs as Public Health Analyst or Public Health Advisors. Alot of times they have jobs where you are assigned to a state or go overseas.

Our Director is big on hiring fresh minds.

I checked that out.. but i'll monitor it more.. i also applied to some boston gov jobs as well..which are mostly program managing positions for specific projects.. though its not something i'd wanna stay in but the experience would be great!

Thanks!
tbaby123 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbaby123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

My undergraduate was premed majoring in biology and bioethics... i decided 4th year I didn't wanna do pre-med anymore (infact i decided i wanted to do business earlier but my parents wouldn't let me switch) anyhoo i figured public health would be the most logical next step... excepttttt it wasn't lol i can't imagine working for a community health center with my classmates

I am looking into consulting.. applied to 3 places and got a second interview at a boutique firm.. i'm also looking into pharmas as well.. 

beware

reaally?? why???
BeatriceBean View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeatriceBean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:03am

If you're just graduating, there are lots of recruitment programs for the federal government, such as in the Depts. of Health & Human Services and Labor (OSHA).

dijah.love View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dijah.love Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:04am
Consulting is a good option, especially if you like the business side of things. Deloitte, Booz Allen Hamilton, etc all hire undergrads from my school ALL the time.

I study health policy and plan to go to law school when I graduate. I eventually want to work in legislation or as an attorney, whichever manifests first

Edited by dijah.love - Jan 24 2013 at 11:06am
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2013 at 11:10am

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

beware

reaally?? why???

I'll pm you later lol
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake