Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
SimplyKimmy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reasons NOT to do Loc Ext..Pics On Page 2
    Posted: May 23 2011 at 1:28pm
Ok so as most of you know im trying to loc it up.. I've been leaning towards loc extensions BUT everytime i tell someone that's how I'm starting my locs they frown or tell me "dont do that!" But never tell me why when i ask..so my question to u all is...what is a reason to NOT get loc extensions?

My reason for wanting them is:
1. I'm looking for job and being realistic i will hve a better chance if i dont have a head full of little twist
2. Its cheaper.. IMO anyway
3. I can see how i look in locs and if they're what i really want :)

Edited by SimplyKimmy - Jul 14 2011 at 3:38pm
Sponsored Links

Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 1:59pm
Whether or not you get the job will have nothing to do with your hair being twisted. That is just what we think as black women.....Some people may tell you not to start with extensions because it is cheating. I feel the main reason is that you stand a chance of your natural locs looking different from the extension locs. More than likely your hair will dread smaller (in diameter)  than the extension locs, and this may not look good. If you are okay with that, then I say go for it.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 4:23pm
You make a GOOD point...I never thought of them looking crazy growing out... is there anyway to cover the locks up thru the baby stages
luvinmylocs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 9:45am
Originally posted by SimplyKimmy SimplyKimmy wrote:

You make a GOOD point...I never thought of them looking crazy growing out... is there anyway to cover the locks up thru the baby stages
Hey Kimmy,

I have heard of ppl that start locs with their natural hair would wear wigs, and such when they are in the ugly stage as they call it. But I have extentions in my hair, and true you do run the risk of your natural hair growing out differently then the extensions. But if you go to a person that knows what they are doing then that shouldn't be a major problem.

The extension will evenually grow out  or like my son when his real hair go to the length he wanted, which was past his shoulder he cut his extensions out. So it's really up to the wearer, and there are so many preatty styles you can wear your hair in as well.

Good Luck with your decision Smile

Anah View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 11:31am
I think that most ppl are opposed to the idea of loc extensions b/c well, its like the epitome of natural I guess. They see it as a mostly, kinda, afrocentric thing and you would be faking depth. Most loced ppl I talk to talk about the journey and the ugly stages...its a process. You know? So like youre skipping it for vanity or somethign to that effect...Am I making sense? Thats why I havent done them yet...Im striggling with going through the process or being fake.

Well Im enjoying my TWA for now...debating this heavuly as well.
coilyartist View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 11:52am
Well, I can see if you want loc extensions for a period of time to see what the hair would look like on you before you officially loc it up, but for me, I couldn't do the loc extensions to start because after watching some youtube vids, I wanted to go through the WHOLE experience....budding...ugly....thickness....the works.

But hey, to each their own.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2011 at 9:49pm
@Luvinmylocs I heard about the wigs just recently and thouht thts a good idea untill I thought about how often id need one (once every 3 to 4 weeks) and that wouldn't be saving too much money lol. But I agree I would get them about 4 or 5 inches my hair has been gowing pretty fast so when MY hair grew 5 inches id just cut them out. I may just get the extensions b/c I wouldn't be embrassing the "ugly stage" regardless. Thanks :) do you have pics of yours?

@Anah I absolutly H.A.T.E my twa I think its adorable on a lot of women..just not me :(. I understand u on being afrocentric n all and I been driving myself crazy w/it as well.I'm leaning towards gettin em ...tomorrow lol I don't have much time

@coilyartist I knowwwwww right..ok this is gonna sound crazy but I wanted to be able to complain about the process once I actually got my thick beautiful locs lol.
luvinmylocs View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 6:14am
Hi Kimmy,  I do have pics of my locs, but I can't get my stupid phone to upload them. Cry
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 12:36pm
Because the average persons hair is thinner than extension hair, there is a great chance that your natural hair will dread thinner than the extension. No matter the skills of the braider.....And you do not have to go through any "ugly" stages if you keep your roots twisted every two weeks. So be prepared to spend some money to keep them looking good while they loc, which could take 6months to a year. But our hair is pretty no matter what, as long as it is healthy. From the short buds to the long locs.... IMO the easy way would be to let your natural hair grow out to about 5 inches and get it 2 strand twisted. Then when your roots lift, get them twisted or (interlocked). I have done this technique and it turns out really good. You can spray the twisted part of your locs with a lemon spritz to help it coil up some more so that your do not see the patter of the twist as much. Hope that makes since. Some techniques are hard to explain, but easy to do.
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2011 at 12:37pm
That should be "Pattern"

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic