Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Realistic expectations of 4c hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2013 at 10:49pm
My shrinkage is so severe, that when i tried a Wash-n-go, it just went south within less than an 1/2 hour's time.  i had only 1" of hair on my head. One inch, if that.. if my hair could have reverted even more? i would have had baby dreds.. when it was stretched? it was shoulder length.

Not that i minded the shorter length, but my head is too big to try to "make it work"..Ouch

I felt sorry for my SO when this incident occurred.. We went out together shopping for hair accessories over in Oakland.  Sure enough, the hair kept reverting as soon as the air hit it, and i didn't notice it was happening.

Apparently, the hair style was a fail..Folks thought i was Traci Chapman on steroids...Ouch

granted, she's has the beautiful face/figure and head size for short 4c hair..

Thus, i learned that 4c hair has major/fast shrinkage, not a well-defined curl pattern, mine dries very quickly, needs moisture, and needs to stay in a protective style.

Sponsored Links

Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2013 at 12:03am
^^^femme, i just have to say that i really appreciate your posts - they are always helpful, funny, and really get your point across clearly.  you should write, if you don't already! :-)

with that said, i completely agree with you...same thing with my hair.  

and another thing that i would say is that bentonite and rhassoul clay are must haves for our hair. i would also say that aussie moist is a great look for the home team - has weight, slip, and moisturizing properties.  All of these properties are win-wins for 4c hair so look for them in any conditioner.

i have also learned that after swimming, no matter how much conditioner you put in your hair, it will shrink into a fro with minimal definition - don't be swayed into thinking that you can rock a defined wash and go (i always think i can after i get out of the water, no idea why).  be ready to embrace that look or put your hair in twists to dry out (pin them up for an immediate look). and then you can rock a twist out if you like or continue to wear the twists.  along those same lines, always swim in twists. so much easier than doing a bun, or, if you're looking for trouble and tangles, swimming with it loose.
Queenbeeach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Queenbeeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2013 at 5:16am
The second girl needs to know how to edit and get to the point. no1cur about if you are working from home or the snow. 
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2013 at 7:19am
Heavy and femme..... I'm with you!!

I never never allow my hair to shrink. I only deal with my hair when it's soaking wet.

I want to try bentonite or the terressentials mud wash.

Doesn't Aussie moist have cones?
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2013 at 9:52am
^^^hey, darlinnic, aussie moist has one cone, but it can be removed with a low-poo cleanser or a co-wash.  also, b/c of how it is chemically structured, it is quite hard for it to build up on itself.  

i try not to use any silicones in my hair - they left films on it sometimes.  and so far, so good with aussie moist. 
modelbusiness82 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote modelbusiness82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2013 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by achampongadjoa achampongadjoa wrote:

Mind sharing your reggie with us? LOL I need that kind of growth!

Lol...of course body chemistry plays a part, but for the most part this is what I do that I found worked for me. My biggest focus in my routine is moisture retention as it's the thing that took me the longest to get under control last year.

#4 is really the thing that's jump started my growth this year. It's the only new thing I've added to my reggie in 2013 that I wasn't doing last year. At the beginning of this year I was grazing APL and I'm now grazing BSL (pending an upcoming much needed trim this week). My end of year goal is MBL, but my long term goal I decided is WL as I get a lot of shrinkage, even on stretched styles like twist outs, so I need to be WL to get a twist out to be the length I want it to be.

1. PS during cold weather months to maintain my ends and moisture, which usually means a FLW that I just tootsie & pin. Or also if I know I'm in a busy season and won't give my hair the attention it deserves.

But regardless of how I'm wearing my hair I always do the following:

2. Minimal to no heat unless I'm doing a length check which is usually every 3 mos or so.
3. Hairfinity (but at times I've used other HSNs) + garlic pill daily
4. Liquid Gold Oil (the one with sulfur in it) applied usually every other day but definitely 2 - 3x a week.
5. On nights when I apply the Liquid Gold I also GHE. So, depending on how moist my hair feels, I'll do this 2 or 3x a week.
6. Drink 64oz of water daily (or as close to it as I can get!)
7. Try to primarily only use all natural products on my actual hair *

• homemade shea butter mix
  • terressentials mud wash
  • ACV rinses
  • homemade flax seed gel for hold

8. Wash hair 2x a month if I'm PSed. If I'm not, depending on my schedule I'll do 1x a week since I'm only air drying and doing twist outs anyway

9. Henna 1x a month or every other month depending on my schedule.

10. Gym 3x a week

11. Try as much as possible to eat healthy! 

12. Don't obsess over my hair and try as much as possible to avoid unnecessary stressors. I know I listed a lot of stuff on here, but I follow the KISS method. 

13. Spritz my hair daily with a water/aloe/essential oils/MSM mix

*The only exception to this is if I go a REALLY long time without washing my hair (in the event that I actually tape a wig down). At that point, I know my scalp is beyond dirty and I will use a store bought shampoo (normally Garnier or Herbal Essences) to make sure that I've truly cleaned my scalp of all oils dirt and build up.

Edited by modelbusiness82 - Apr 09 2013 at 5:53pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2013 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

^^^femme, i just have to say that i really appreciate your posts - they are always helpful, funny, and really get your point across clearly.  you should write, if you don't already! :-)

with that said, i completely agree with you...same thing with my hair.  

and another thing that i would say is that bentonite and rhassoul clay are must haves for our hair. i would also say that aussie moist is a great look for the home team - has weight, slip, and moisturizing properties.  All of these properties are win-wins for 4c hair so look for them in any conditioner.

i have also learned that after swimming, no matter how much conditioner you put in your hair, it will shrink into a fro with minimal definition - don't be swayed into thinking that you can rock a defined wash and go (i always think i can after i get out of the water, no idea why).  be ready to embrace that look or put your hair in twists to dry out (pin them up for an immediate look). and then you can rock a twist out if you like or continue to wear the twists.  along those same lines, always swim in twists. so much easier than doing a bun, or, if you're looking for trouble and tangles, swimming with it loose.

Hey, thanks, Miss Rotation.Smile

And you're not so bad yourself!

Yes, the betonite clay is keeper for me.  Great not only for the detox of the hair and scalp, but the face as well.  The rhassoul i'd like to try to change up my "clay" routine every 6 weeks. i'll do some research on it, and see if i can buy it from Amazon.com for a reasonable price.

thanks again for your suggestions for this type hair.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2013 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by darlinnic darlinnic wrote:

Heavy and femme..... I'm with you!!

I never never allow my hair to shrink. I only deal with my hair when it's soaking wet.

I want to try bentonite or the terressentials mud wash.

Doesn't Aussie moist have cones?

thanks for asking that question, Miss Darlinnic.  i have a HUGE bottle of it that i use on my wigs.  (HH and synthetic).. as long as i know there won't be a quick build up, i'll give it a try.  Heck, i betonite clay/ACV every 4-6 weeks anyway.  Anything that's on the hair shaft is quickly clarified.

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2013 at 8:57pm
But to put it in a eight minute plus videos though?  With my funky connection speed and self-diagnosed ADD, I can't.  Someone wanna provide cliff notes for me?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemuscleisback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2013 at 8:41pm
well, nars,

both of the ladies in the videos pretty much just said the same thing.  And yes, i agree w/someone who posted the second video was not very "straight to the point".. it was nice to know that the YouTuber was working from home because of a snow storm.  Stern Smile

Basically what they were saying?

1) Wash-n-go is a "Wash-n-No".. No such thing.

2) We can't expect "curls"/"waves" or curl definition that we see in with other grades.

3) 4a/b/c hair does grow.  Some grow faster than others

4) If you feel you can't manage the texture of your hair, or try to attain styles that other grades have - then just weave it up. 

(i prefer to wig it up - less dangerous)..

I'm sure i left out a few items, other members can feel free to chime in..

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic