Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Real Hair too long for a sew in??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
ECurlyHairAffair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ECurlyHairAffair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Real Hair too long for a sew in??
    Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 2:27am
I had been blessed with the ability to retain long hair at my waist. I know this sounds crazy but i have been thinking about getting a full sew in weave as a protective style for majority of my freshman college days this fall 2013. I have been fascinated with the idea that i would be able to do practically anything with out damaging my natural hair (such as cutting the weave, dying, it straightening whatever) I was wonder is my hair too long to have a sew in?? 
Sponsored Links

ms.blue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ms.blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 6:32am
No your hair isn't too long for a sew in. You would need someone who knows how to braid up long hair for a flat install.
Love555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Love555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 2:03pm
I agree with Ms.Blue. Just get a good stylist that will know how to braid flat.
Cream1970 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cream1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2013 at 11:49am

My real hair was nowhere near that long and I got frustrated at not being able to get a REALLY flat install.  I cut off half, about 8", and now that I'm making and wearing a U-part..I sometimes regret cutting it. I had never considered a U-Part until after I cut it.

achampongadjoa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote achampongadjoa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 08 2013 at 9:13pm
Girl I wish I was in your predicament lol LOL 
LadyLovely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLovely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 6:04am
Did you ever get your sew in? how did it work for you? My hair is natural and thick and mid back length I want to some color which why I want a sew in dont want to color my natural hair?
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 8:28am
Umm I must say this.

Sometimes ... well, OFTEN weaves (the process of braiding, the wefts rubbing, the thread used to sew it on, the on and off again etc.) breaks your hair off. Ask any Dermatogist. I even have White gf wuth extentions that have shown me their bald spots. :(

I know everyone here will not agree but ... go down to the hair growth section and read. The number 1 reason for breakage, bald spots etc ... are weaves.

Everyone's hair is different though do if your hair is very resiliant .. maybe it will be okay longer than someone elses. Though at 58 years old I remember when weaves first came out and everyone (seemed like :) ) suddenly had long hair. It was great but .. 1 or 2 years in .. all of my friends one by one started having hair problems. I could tell you a lot but ALL of those girls now wished they had never gotten with the weaves to begin with because with that and the perm together .. their heads can never get back to the way they looked 20 years earlier.

You don't know me and yes, I am always giving out advice that nobody wants to take hee hee! But .. please reconsider trying this idea.

Just be grateful yout hair is healthy because once you start messing with it so you can look like everyone else ... it will NEVER regain the length and health it used to have.

Just leave your natural hair alone and groom it well. :)
LadyLovely View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LadyLovely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 8:37am
But wouldn't that happen if someone were wearing them often?
ka_schwim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ka_schwim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:20am
I have mid back length relaxed hair and got my first install in December 2013. I have to warn you its a shock after you get the hair sewn in because your head looks massive in your own eyes. I still don't think the install is flat but my friends say its not noticeable. Good luck with your install.
blackarosoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackarosoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2014 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Umm I must say this.

Sometimes ... well, OFTEN weaves (the process of braiding, the wefts rubbing, the thread used to sew it on, the on and off again etc.) breaks your hair off. Ask any Dermatogist. I even have White gf wuth extentions that have shown me their bald spots. :(

I know everyone here will not agree but ... go down to the hair growth section and read. The number 1 reason for breakage, bald spots etc ... are weaves.

Everyone's hair is different though do if your hair is very resiliant .. maybe it will be okay longer than someone elses. Though at 58 years old I remember when weaves first came out and everyone (seemed like :) ) suddenly had long hair. It was great but .. 1 or 2 years in .. all of my friends one by one started having hair problems. I could tell you a lot but ALL of those girls now wished they had never gotten with the weaves to begin with because with that and the perm together .. their heads can never get back to the way they looked 20 years earlier.

You don't know me and yes, I am always giving out advice that nobody wants to take hee hee! But .. please reconsider trying this idea.

Just be grateful yout hair is healthy because once you start messing with it so you can look like everyone else ... it will NEVER regain the length and health it used to have.

Just leave your natural hair alone and groom it well. :)

Hi I agree with your comment I had this experience and a friend here on the board introduced me to wigs. My hair grew with weaves but it was thin and see through with wigs i went from NL to past BSL in 2 years and 8 months. And with all the advise of the ladies here and in the growth section.

And may be in the early days the didnot took care of their natural hair when wearing weaves. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic