Sponsored Links

OoDles O View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by OhMyCurlz OhMyCurlz wrote:

Originally posted by OoDles O OoDles O wrote:

This reads like straight whinery from privileged white folks who swear fo' God they didn't get that job because a black person did.

I think this is what drives the outrage from light skin women. 

Its like 2 sisters who get ran off the road and crash their car. Both are injured.  
One has a sprain and some cuts…the other has a mild fracture and some cuts. 

The sister with the fracture tells her sister with the sprain… to "stop complaining … 
 as if a Sprain isn't painful.

Mean while they both got ran off the road …. by whitey!
 "They'll have an audition and then they don't get the part. A lot of time -- whether it is [true] or not, I'm not sure -- they'll say... 'I didn't get it because they wanted to go with someone who looked blacker.'"

This is what I was referring to. It reads identical to white men whining about affirmative action almost verbatim.

I don't agree with the comparison. We're talking about colorism within our community. In our community being a "red bone" is hardly a "sprain".

I think a paper cut is preferable to a gash. Yeah, both hurt, but which one would a medical professional feel is priority? Which one would be their focus? What does it say about the person with the paper cut to feel that their cut is even remotely comparable in urgency and priority as the person with the gash? I acknowledge you're hurt; I'm not dismissive of that, but please acknowledge the urgency of this gash and that it needs to take priority. 

A paper cut? I thinks thats a bit dismissive but thats just me.

To the bolded: to compare is where the issues come in.

Seeing this issue less as a comparison being made and more of a person just stating that they are hurting would probably be the better lens to look through. I know thats hard when you're in pain as well.

But the point i made in my original analogy was that they were sisters/ family…and they should be concerned for each others well being.

Also Raven Simone isn't the greatest representative for this topic.

Edited by OoDles O - Jan 15 2015 at 4:55pm
OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 5:00pm
Well you're the one assuming that "it hurts" for me to hear a woman talk about the alleged "good hair struggle" as if that somehow exists.
bg View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 5:14pm
Your keystrokes are laced with pain and anger...its ok...let it out...the O'Jays said we can cry together

OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 5:22pm

This reads like straight whinery from privileged white folks who swear fo' God they didn't get that job because a black person did.

I think this is what drives the outrage from light skin women. 

Its like 2 sisters who get ran off the road and crash their car. Both are injured.  
One has a sprain and some cuts…the other has a mild fracture and some cuts. 

The sister with the fracture tells her sister with the sprain… to "stop complaining … 
 as if a Sprain isn't painful.

Mean while they both got ran off the road …. by whitey!
 "They'll have an audition and then they don't get the part. A lot of time -- whether it is [true] or not, I'm not sure -- they'll say... 'I didn't get it because they wanted to go with someone who looked blacker.'"

This is what I was referring to. It reads identical to white men whining about affirmative action almost verbatim.

I don't agree with the comparison. We're talking about colorism within our community. In our community being a "red bone" is hardly a "sprain".

I think a paper cut is preferable to a gash. Yeah, both hurt, but which one would a medical professional feel is priority? Which one would be their focus? What does it say about the person with the paper cut to feel that their cut is even remotely comparable in urgency and priority as the person with the gash? I acknowledge you're hurt; I'm not dismissive of that, but please acknowledge the urgency of this gash and that it needs to take priority. 

A paper cut? I thinks thats a bit dismissive but thats just me.

To the bolded: to compare is where the issues come in.

Seeing this issue less as a comparison being made and more of a person just stating that they are hurting would probably be the better lens to look through. I know thats hard when you're in pain as well.

But the point i made in my original analogy was that they were sisters/ family…and they should be concerned for each others well being.

Also Raven Simone isn't the greatest representative for this topic.

Yeah, I don't think being light skin in the black community is a "sprain".

I acknowledge their hurting; I just don't believe it should be the focal point in a discussion about colorism. The pain of the wealthy is generally not the focal point of discussions regarding poverty. Men are generally not the focal point of discussions about sexism.

It also doesn't help when people play stupid like they don't know lighter skin is considered better by most in our community. Like lighter skin people have not been able to benefit from the "apperance" of looking "less black".

I would be more interested in a segment about being biracial/multiracial, honestly.
keepgrowing View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 5:34pm

Originally posted by bg bg wrote:

Do yall HONESTLY think that colorism affects all black people equally? 

lol...I know, Gkisses, but we not on speaking terms 'cause you and CC made me go buy Hawaiian bread, potatoes and chicken yesterday and I'm tryna be skinny. TongueCry

No it isn't equal, but it doesn't make the experience invalid.

The conversation won't be pretty, but 'we' have to address the pain in order to heal.

Being dismissive and defensive doesn't help.

...but I never said it was invalid.

I was bullied for being a "rich" black girl by poor black kids. I would look petty and self-centered to want to interject that into a discussion about poverty and class ism, though. Yes. As black people we were all worse than the white kids, but regardless to that or my personal situation, I still heavily benefited from my socioeconomic status whether I wanted to or not compared to poor black kids. 

This isn't the Oppression Olympics. Sometimes it's nice to shelve anecdotal experiences and look at the big picture; it's necessary to resolve an "ism".

That's true. I was told I wasn't black enough by blacks all the time growing up and I'm dark. I was called a white girl with a tan. A light skinned girl at my school called me white washed because of how I spoke. If I was going to a place were blacks were going to be, I made sure to look right or they would say something. 

And I'm not dismissing the oppression lights face from whites, however, this documentary is focusing on colorism within the black community. Instead of dark girls they should have just focused on colorism get it all over with instead of this.
OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 5:36pm

Your keystrokes are laced with pain and anger...its ok...let it out...the O'Jays said we can cry together

Don't project your issues on me.

You seem angry I don't agree with you.

Hence why you're trying to divert the topic to my alleged "hurt, pain, and anger" instead of staying on topic.

Now, shoo fly you're starting to get on my nerves.

OhMyCurlz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2015 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

Do yall HONESTLY think that colorism affects all black people equally? 

lol...I know, Gkisses, but we not on speaking terms 'cause you and CC made me go buy Hawaiian bread, potatoes and chicken yesterday and I'm tryna be skinny. TongueCry

No it isn't equal, but it doesn't make the experience invalid.

The conversation won't be pretty, but 'we' have to address the pain in order to heal.

Being dismissive and defensive doesn't help.

...but I never said it was invalid.

I was bullied for being a "rich" black girl by poor black kids. I would look petty and self-centered to want to interject that into a discussion about poverty and class ism, though. Yes. As black people we were all worse than the white kids, but regardless to that or my personal situation, I still heavily benefited from my socioeconomic status whether I wanted to or not compared to poor black kids. 

This isn't the Oppression Olympics. Sometimes it's nice to shelve anecdotal experiences and look at the big picture; it's necessary to resolve an "ism".

That's true. I was told I wasn't black enough by blacks all the time growing up and I'm dark. I was called a white girl with a tan. A light skinned girl at my school called me white washed because of how I spoke. If I was going to a place were blacks were going to be, I made sure to look right or they would say something. 

And I'm not dismissing the oppression lights face from whites, however, this documentary is focusing on colorism within the black community. Instead of dark girls they should have just focused on colorism get it all over with instead of this.
Yeah they should have done it all together.

....and they shouldn't have used Raven's ignorant ass; I honestly think she has identity issues deeper than complexion.
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2015 at 2:27am
So that's why she's aging badly
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic