Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Random Thoughts the Remix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 30903091309230933094>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 16 Votes, Average 3.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Originally posted by Mixer Mixer wrote:

GK, stop reminding me of my thigh fetish. AngryHeart
Im sorry..wanna lay ur head on my lap and talk about it?
LOL!!!
Sponsored Links

Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:27pm
Jamaican Creole which is typically called "patois" is a mix of English African Spanish Taino/Caribs/Arawaks (indigenous Jamaicans wiped out by C Columbus) words but mostly English and Africa. Patois stress the double word like good-good, neat-neat and uses "dem" (them) as plural the man dem the pig dem the shoes dem, not men pigs or simple shoes. Also both SJE and patois turn -er suffix to -uh watuh(SJE) vs waahtah (patois) not wa-ter

Recall that the salves taken from different regions were unable to speak to each other OR to backra master (Jamaican for slave master) so we had the mashup  of languages and through the regular language development emerged a new language, Patois (other islands have a patois, but we claim the name). Oh and the Spanish were here first then the English chased them off and claim Xaymaca (Taino word for the island) for themselves, English called it Jamaica. Land of wood and water.

It is not broken English though it is a english based language. Its hard as hell (I'd say it hard nuh raas) to write and even worse to read because its an oral language. so the spellings and pronunciation vary
Mixer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:29pm
*ignores GK*I ain't ready.Cry

Hey sis, I hope you have something more appropriate to discuss.Sleepy
Mixer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Jamaican Creole which is typically called "patois" is a mix of English African Spanish Taino/Caribs/Arawaks (indigenous Jamaicans wiped out by C Columbus) words but mostly English and Africa. Patois stress the double word like good-good, neat-neat and uses "dem" (them) as plural the man dem the pig dem the shoes dem, not men pigs or simple shoes. Also both SJE and patois turn -er suffix to -uh watuh(SJE) vs waahtah (patois) not wa-ter

Recall that the salves taken from different regions were unable to speak to each other OR to backra master (Jamaican for slave master) so we had the mashup  of languages and through the regular language development emerged a new language, Patois (other islands have a patois, but we claim the name). Oh and the Spanish were here first then the English chased them off and claim Xaymaca (Taino word for the island) for themselves, English called it Jamaica. Land of wood and water.

It is not broken English though it is a english based language. Its hard as hell (I'd say it hard nuh raas) to write and even worse to read because its an oral language. so the spellings and pronunciation vary
Bookmarked so I can try and process all of this information one day.LOLThanks Diane.Smile
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:38pm
LB that's what she aiming for trust me she's twanging to hide it and In her mind that's what y'all sound like. Note that no one is sounding like Tessanne

Usain in your video = doing a good job of sounding clear, using "clear patois moving to SJE but too many patois words escaping. 6% twang though.

That's about $0.46 USD indeed. I would say you're wrong for just like you code switch from you're home voice to phone voice. I seen my relatives pull off an excellent American accent for the region they're in while others who speak SJE don't need to. Plus i've listened to y'all on tv all my life. I think I could. Not the southern ones though cause i couldnt understand one darn things some folks in Houston were saying.

LB its the nuances of the accent that will escape most in those situations i believe the tonal, gutteral sounds etc etc for it's not easily learned (of course it depends on the language)
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:45pm

when do i ev-- sure i do. 

how about decor periods? my dear friend spencer is fond of the victorian period. however, i'm rather in love with the art deco period. i prefer its lack of ornateness in favor of a streamlined and more "clean" look.  and we can both agree that southwestern decor is disgusting and should be wiped from existence. 

will that do?

Mixer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:47pm
Edit: It seems like only quoted posts work in this thread. Just like whenever a RT thread gets broken. Someone make another one.
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

when do i ev-- sure i do. 

how about decor periods? my dear friend spencer is fond of the victorian period. however, i'm rather in love with the art deco period. i prefer its lack of ornateness in favor of a streamlined and more "clean" look.  and we can both agree that southwestern decor is disgusting and should be wiped from existence. 

will that do?

Sleepy

Annnd I have no clue what you just said.LOL

Edited by Mixer - Mar 10 2014 at 10:50pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 10:57pm
I understood what you said nek nek. I'm partial to plantation decor , for obvious reasons, is that what it is termed?

Mixer, i suck at explaining it and this was supm i was taught in school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkedv_BsqgA
It has subtitles so you can see the difference, i would have rather not used a video that was shot where it was or had a violent subject matter but it had subtitles. He's clear (not as much as Usain in the last video though). I cant find a true-true bad-bad raw-chaw dung inna de country patois/ I cant find an authentic, excellent, hardcore down in the country patois.
Mixer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

I understood what you said nek nek. I'm partial to plantation decor , for obvious reasons, is that what it is termed?

Mixer, i suck at explaining it and this was supm i was taught in school

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bkedv_BsqgA
It has subtitles so you can see the difference, i would have rather not used a video that was shot where it was or had a violent subject matter but it had subtitles. He's clear (not as much as Usain in the last video though). I cant find a true-true bad-bad raw-chaw dung inna de country patois/ I cant find an authentic, excellent, hardcore down in the country patois.
Thanks Diane.SmileNow make a new RT remix thread.Confused
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2014 at 11:02pm
my natural inclination is to say "isn't that what coco's thread is for?"

also--

victorian:

art deco:

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair