Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Random Thoughts 2013 Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25112512251325142515 2994>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 31 Votes, Average 3.19  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote oh_so_moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 9:36pm
So here is a list of things I wish I had learned before 30 by Nolan Marshall

Avoid Debt. If you’re singing “started from the bottom, now we here…” and paying credit card bills. You’re still on the bottom.

When buying a first home, location is more important than closet space and a 2 car garage

Flirting and networking are very different. But kind of similar.

Always keep a 30k foot, “True Hollywood Story” view of your life and your progress.

Unless you have kids (or parents) you are responsible for, don’t worry about salary or income; rack up experiences and skills

Don’t over commit. People won’t know you’re overextended, only that you’re underperforming

Seeking out recognition and affirmation doesn’t mean you’re not humble.

Making sure other people are aware of your good work is how you breakthrough in competitive workforce

Being able to walk to work or work from home is priceless

Don’t spend more than $5k feeding other people at a wedding. Divorce rates make that a poor investment.

Listen to your grad school advisor and finish your thesis before career and life get in the way

I spent 4 years learning Chinese, 4 years learning Spanish, and 10 years forgetting both. Don’t unlearn things, especially languages!

Caffeine is a hell of a drug…

Fiber is the sh*t.

“YOLO” is a regretful philosophy. How many successful people do you know that shout “YOLO” before making a decision?

Monitoring mental and physical health is important to everyone, but especially young professional black men. Stress kills.

I know how much money I made in my 20’s, but no clue what happened to it! Everyone should have a tool for creating a budget and tracking spending over time. It’s life changing.

Managing my personal weaknesses is less stressful than trying to eliminate them

Invest majority of your time and money in people and places; travel with friends and never eat alone

Strategic patience is an acceptable response to “the fierce urgency of now” when it comes to politics

$12.99 for a dozen roses at Rouses provide the best return on investment in the history of dating

Love is a verb

Never miss a Super Bowl because of an election you don’t think you’re winning

Write everything, especially real moments of inspiration, on actual paper.
Twitter is a great outlet to spew randomness, but not a solid tool for follow through.

No matter how great the deal was and how much you love a new car, you’ll hate having a car note after 8 months.

I had a very specific 5 year plan in 2004. Option and scenario planning work better in the real world

I think I always regret the things I don’t say, more than the things I shouldn’t have said

If family or friends need money and you can spare it, just give it to them, don’t loan it

sh*t happens. But if it’s repetitive and always happening to you, that’s a personal problem

Spend time with family and listening to stories from old people, then shout “YOLO!”

My life would be very different today if I purchased insurance for my business on June 20, 2005. Have faith that everything happens for a reason or have a plan to deal with the unreasonable.

Your turn...

Sponsored Links

AwesomeAries View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 9:51pm
moody we need to get on this hip hop
fairyQueen092 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote fairyQueen092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 10:01pm
"Fiber is the sh*t."
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 10:52pm
those are the two kansas basketball players. They're pretty girls.

Im so mad I have to take a class I skipped, even though I could damn near teach the class. There has to be a way out of this.
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 11:01pm
^^^ depending on the course, ask amin if there's a corresponding CLEP (College Level Examination Program) exam. 

you may be able to take the exam ($80/90 min give or take) and get the credit that way. 

Edited by nekamarie83 - Jul 07 2013 at 11:02pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 11:03pm
i want to go on a vacation. 

not to relax, but for the sake of just being some where else. 
_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 11:06pm
OMG THANK YOU!! Im gonna look into that and bring it up to my advisor.

ETA:looking at my schools instructions, it might not work, I'll still ask though. 

Edited by _ConcreteRose_ - Jul 07 2013 at 11:10pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 11:10pm
you're welcome cr. hope it works out for you hon.  

eta: the only other thing i can think of is an equiv course. that way you'd get the credit, but take a different class. 

i didn't want to take speech class (i hate public speaking), so i took the equiv class: intro to cinema.  

Edited by nekamarie83 - Jul 07 2013 at 11:16pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 11:11pm
omg!! how you gon burn & pistol whip a person with a shot gun, but be surprised when they turn you in?! 

she didn't have to tell them it was me -- the fuuuuuk?!  
Mixer View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mixer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 11:28pm
My family is about to go.

Today was a pretty good day. We had a family breakfast and then my oldest brother got anybirthday party. I had cake, banana pudding and some of my strawberry cheesecake ice cream. My family loved that. Thanks again, neka. Then the 5 generations of my family got together and took pictures.

Well, this'll be one of my last posts here until further notice
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 25112512251325142515 2994>
  Share Topic