BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Random Hair Thoughts!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 207>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 15 Votes, Average 3.80  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by iBetYouhNvNika iBetYouhNvNika wrote:

Lies I swear I want ro try that "braid out" technically its not braids though right ?

A banding method should give one the same look right?

She did this with banding but I think it looks more like she used crimp rollers but still cute though.

Originally posted by liesnalibis liesnalibis wrote:

I wanna try this (banding/threading)

Sponsored Links

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 11:25pm
I think my hair has finally reached the length (at this thickness and texture) where it's more beneficial to keep it stretched most of the time. I've been dreading this day. Unhappy After this week's self indulgent puff I will go back to stretched styles, most likely protective styling. My nerves too damn bad for that kinky curly u-part I was plotting on. I'll probably try some comb/finger coils. I may even get them done professionally.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 2:14am
I've been on a huge AfricanExport kick lately.

VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 3:37am
This is awesome. Her hair texture seems...suspicious.

^^^Two unrelated statements.

Edited by liesnalibis - Apr 18 2014 at 3:37am
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 9:46am
If you’re interested in the whole hour, go right ahead and watch. But if you want to hear Ouidad say something that *might* make you believe your entire natural hair journey has been a lie (of course I’m being dramatic), fast forward to 34:09 when Renee of In Her Shoes mentions using oils to seal in moisture and add shine:

Live with Ouidad

A Scientific Response to Ouidad’s Claim: ‘Oil Does Not Seal in Moisture’

Share Button
Pin It

As much as I am a blogger and writer, I am also an avid reader of BGLH and I did not miss the recent video highlight of Ouidad discussing hair and her opinion on using oil on hair. To be specific the quoted portion from the conversation,

‘Oil does not seal in moisture. Oil coats the hair and repeals natural moisture [from the environment]. It causes dehydration, dullness, and frizziness. Our hair is like us, it needs to breathe. If we suffocate it [with oils], it dries out.’

Just Grow Already Oil Sealing Experiment 

Q1: Semantics – does oil really seal in moisture?

When a natural says ‘I use oil to seal in moisture’, they usually mean that after applying water or a water based product to hair, a film of oil is used to help prevent moisture loss. This is the question I will address and not the semantics of whether the right word is seal or coat.

Q2: What does science say on oil and moisture?

A scientific study looked at the effect of applying oil to hair on both moisture retention and moisture pick up from the air (Journal of Cosmetic Science, pp 135-145, 2007). The oils used were coconut, sunflower and mineral oil. The 3 key findings were:

- Oil DOES help to prevent moisture loss from the hair fibre. Hair with an oil layer has higher moisture retention compared to uncoated hair.
- Oil DOES have a sealing effect. Hair with an oil layer will take up less water vapour compared to uncoated hair which means that the oil layer slows moisture uptake. Coconut oil allowed more moisture in than mineral oil (i.e mineral oil is a better sealer).
- Oil layers on hair DO NOT prevent hair from taking up water vapour. Although uncoated hair will take up the most water vapour from the air, hair coated with oil (mineral, sunflower or coconut) will also still take up significant amounts of water vapour from the air.

The final conclusion of the study was that oil films on hair slow the loss of moisture from the hair creating a moisturising effect.

Q3: What exactly is in the glaze product suggested for shine instead of oil?

The Ouidad shine glaze serum suggested as a final touch for shine contains two silicones (silicones are oils), alcohol and an emollient (Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Alcohol Denat, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate). It is pretty much a silicone based serum that will feel less oily due to the emollient. In the grand scheme of water entry prevention to hair, silicones and mineral oil are top of the table.

Q4: Does oil suffocate hair?

Since a significant amount of water can still get into oil coated hair (even mineral oil coated hair), no, oil cannot suffocate hair. It simply takes a little longer to get water in but equally, water that is underneath the oil layer, takes longer to get out.

Q5: Does oil prevent water from entering hair?

No, there is no oil that can form an absolute barrier from water entry to hair. If you chose to dunk your head in a tub of oil and then went into a shower, your hair would still get wet because despite all that oil, water can get in!

Q6: Will a thicker oil coating slow down moisture uptake from the air?

Yes, the thicker the oil coating on your hair, the lower the uptake of water from the air. A light film will allow more water uptake from the air. You can experiment with light or heavy oiling to find out which one suits you best, there is no universal correct method.

Q7: What if you do experience dry and dull hair when using oil?

First, always feel free to add water to your hair should it feel dry, the water will penetrate past any oil layer. You can also use less oil and opt for a light natural oil (jojoba, sunflower, coconut, almond) instead of silicone or mineral oil. However, if oil is not for you, this is also fine, respect your hair!

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

more:

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2014/04/for-discussion-do-butters-and-oils-suffocate-our-hair/

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2014/04/a-scientific-response-to-ouidads-claim-oil-does-not-seal-in-moisture/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjIS_meqf_w

mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 10:23am
Thanks for the info Tatee... I use sunflower oil bec of some of your past vid's that you have noted.
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 11:09am

iBetYouhNvNika View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iBetYouhNvNika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 11:23am
This hair is not growing on me

I don't feel like taking them down and re-doing them.
iBetYouhNvNika View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iBetYouhNvNika Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 11:24am
And I wanted to keep these in for at least 2 months
nebhnebh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebhnebh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2014 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Share Button
Pin It

As much as I am a blogger and writer, I am also an avid reader of BGLH and I did not miss the recent video highlight of Ouidad discussing hair and her opinion on using oil on hair. To be specific the quoted portion from the conversation,

‘Oil does not seal in moisture. Oil coats the hair and repeals natural moisture [from the environment]. It causes dehydration, dullness, and frizziness. Our hair is like us, it needs to breathe. If we suffocate it [with oils], it dries out.’

Just Grow Already Oil Sealing Experiment 

Q1: Semantics – does oil really seal in moisture?

When a natural says ‘I use oil to seal in moisture’, they usually mean that after applying water or a water based product to hair, a film of oil is used to help prevent moisture loss. This is the question I will address and not the semantics of whether the right word is seal or coat.

Q2: What does science say on oil and moisture?

A scientific study looked at the effect of applying oil to hair on both moisture retention and moisture pick up from the air (Journal of Cosmetic Science, pp 135-145, 2007). The oils used were coconut, sunflower and mineral oil. The 3 key findings were:

- Oil DOES help to prevent moisture loss from the hair fibre. Hair with an oil layer has higher moisture retention compared to uncoated hair.
- Oil DOES have a sealing effect. Hair with an oil layer will take up less water vapour compared to uncoated hair which means that the oil layer slows moisture uptake. Coconut oil allowed more moisture in than mineral oil (i.e mineral oil is a better sealer).
- Oil layers on hair DO NOT prevent hair from taking up water vapour. Although uncoated hair will take up the most water vapour from the air, hair coated with oil (mineral, sunflower or coconut) will also still take up significant amounts of water vapour from the air.

The final conclusion of the study was that oil films on hair slow the loss of moisture from the hair creating a moisturising effect.

Q3: What exactly is in the glaze product suggested for shine instead of oil?

The Ouidad shine glaze serum suggested as a final touch for shine contains two silicones (silicones are oils), alcohol and an emollient (Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, Alcohol Denat, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate). It is pretty much a silicone based serum that will feel less oily due to the emollient. In the grand scheme of water entry prevention to hair, silicones and mineral oil are top of the table.

Q4: Does oil suffocate hair?

Since a significant amount of water can still get into oil coated hair (even mineral oil coated hair), no, oil cannot suffocate hair. It simply takes a little longer to get water in but equally, water that is underneath the oil layer, takes longer to get out.

Q5: Does oil prevent water from entering hair?

No, there is no oil that can form an absolute barrier from water entry to hair. If you chose to dunk your head in a tub of oil and then went into a shower, your hair would still get wet because despite all that oil, water can get in!

Q6: Will a thicker oil coating slow down moisture uptake from the air?

Yes, the thicker the oil coating on your hair, the lower the uptake of water from the air. A light film will allow more water uptake from the air. You can experiment with light or heavy oiling to find out which one suits you best, there is no universal correct method.

Q7: What if you do experience dry and dull hair when using oil?

First, always feel free to add water to your hair should it feel dry, the water will penetrate past any oil layer. You can also use less oil and opt for a light natural oil (jojoba, sunflower, coconut, almond) instead of silicone or mineral oil. However, if oil is not for you, this is also fine, respect your hair!

Ladies, what are your thoughts?

more:

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2014/04/for-discussion-do-butters-and-oils-suffocate-our-hair/

http://blackgirllonghair.com/2014/04/a-scientific-response-to-ouidads-claim-oil-does-not-seal-in-moisture/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjIS_meqf_w

I am not understanding the second paragraph.  Everything Ouidad says states that oil does seal in moisture.  This is why is important to place a leave in on the hair before using oil.  It holds the moisture in so it doesn't get disapated.  If oil still allows for environmental moisture to come in, albeit slowly then it does not fully repel natural moisture.  It actually sounds like a win-win to me.  By using oils you get to keep moisture in and also get moisture from the environment.

I don't use oils btw but maybe now I will start.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 207>
  Share Topic