Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ramadan and the Benefits of Fasting
    Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 12:09am

My FAVORITE time of the year, Ramadan, is right around the corner :)

The beauty and wisdom of Islam is that everything prescribed to us has a spiritual benefit as well has practical benefits to our physical body/mental health as well. For example, the act of making salaat (prayer), practicing moderation in all we do, abstaining & practicing discipline, and fasting just to name a few. This is where the true meaning of inner "salaam"-peace- in Islam is obtained.

" Fasting is actually one of the oldest known medical practices used to treat all types of ailments. Even Hippocrates, the father of Western medicine, acknowledged the power of fasting. He believed the practice allowed the body to heal itself. In almost every known religion, fasting is used as a way to medically and spiritually heals one's self. Since fasting is such a widespread practice, you may wonder how such a practice that denies the body of food can be good for it. Here's how...." http://hubpages.com/hub/benefits_of_fasting

To those not familar with Ramadan:

"The month of Ramadhan [is that] in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for the people and clear proofs of guidance and criterion. So whoever sights [the new moon of] the month, let him fast it; and whoever is ill or on a journey - then an equal number of other days. Allah (God) intends for you ease and does not intend for you hardship and [wants] for you to complete the period and to glorify Allah (God) for that [to] which He has guided you; and perhaps you will be grateful." (Quran Chapter 2)

Ramadan is the 9th month of the Islamic calendar which is the month in which the Quran (our Holy Book) was revealed. Every day of Ramadan, from sunrise to sunset, ALl muslims (with the exception of children, pregnant women, sick people) are required to abstain from food & drink, intimate relations, and we are encourage to leave off those bad habits/actions that you want to free yourself from throughout the year. We get up at dawn, have a meal (suhoor), and resume eating again when the sunsets.
The main idea of Ramadan is to get closer to God by focusing all of your attention on worship as opposed to wordly things. The nights are filled with prayers called Taraweeh prayers in which the entire Quran is recited during the 30 day month. During Taraweeh prayers, people stand in prayer all night, and in the end, the leader of the prayer makes special requests, send thanks, and praises to God. It gets real emotional:

Ramadan ends with a big celebration called 'Eid' when the new moon has been sighted, which marks the beginning of the next month. During Eid, families and friends visit one another, have feasts, exchange gifts. Food is collected from all over from those who can afford to give it, and it is distributed to the poor.

It's really a great month. If you have Muslim friends, you should join them during this beautiful time. I highly recommend it Thumbs%20Up Go to the mosque/masjid for iftar (meal at sunset which ends the fast)- you get FREE food from around the world for a month! :)

Edited by purpulicious01 - Aug 09 2010 at 12:26am
Sponsored Links

NewFreedom11 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 1:09am
THANK YOU!!!!! Big%20smile

I've always wondered what Ramadan was all about. I have some Muslim friends, but they've never explained what this meant in detail.

Sounds really cool. I would love to join them, even though don't believe in a god. I'd still do it. While everyone is praying, I'll be meditating and sending out thoughts into the universe.

When exactly does this season occur?

See, this is the kind of stuff that I like about religions. These are the good things that I actually support. You can take something positive from this, and it's something that is practical and actually spiritual. Anyone, theist or not can discipline themselves through fasting and meditation.

Thanks for sharing. Smile
ejfel View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 9:00am
When exactly does this season occur?
Starts on the 11th of this month, ends the 10th of September.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 11:57am
NewFreedom, yeah. You should defiantely try fasting with your Muslim buddies. Theist or not, I think everyone can benefit during this beautiful time :)

It starts Wednesday August 11th.
gabi03 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 3:23pm
Fasting/Ramadan is wonderful, but I tried once with my dad and almost passed out a few of those days. I never got up early enough to eat and then tried to play sports during the day...no bueno Cry Maybe i'll join dad again this year. 
TransitAngst View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 6:45pm
I was always under the impression that fasting meant that you went nonstop for the entire time. But it seems like a wonderful thing, for both the body and the mind.

eta: I read that article, purp, and I'm sorry but some of those comments had me dying LOL "buy my paintings" Cry

Edited by TransitAngst - Aug 09 2010 at 6:46pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2010 at 9:14pm
Gab, I know what you mean. There were days when I missed waking up in time for the first meal, and it was a struggle to say the least. If I do any exercise while I'm fasting, which is rare, then it's very light. Especially with it being hot and the chance of dehydration, I'm careful about that.

Transit, I didn't even read those comments until you pointed them out. LOL. A mess.

I agree, it really is good for the body and the mind. You should give it a shot :) We can e-fast together! Thumbs%20Up

This thread makes me  wonder how people fasted back in the day, in the middle of the dessert under the blazing sun-- now THAT was fasting!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 7:33pm
Ramadan Mubarak to all the Muslims (and non-Muslims fasting too) :-)

Ramadan Reflection: Day 1

So, I'm coming up on the end on my first day of fasting (it's almost been 16 hours fasting). I got home @ midnight last night from the night Prayers (Taraweeh) and I had a few hours (4) of sleep. I woke up this morning about 4 am to cook, and had a very light breakfast, and headed to my masjid/mosque for my morning prayer. Since then, I've been keeping myself busy and productive all day-trying to take advantage of every second of this blessed month. Reading Quran- Praying. In these last few hours, I started to have some serious hunger pains, but I am thankful and happy for them. It's made me really reflect on myself, the things I take for granted, and I have a very small taste of what a starving person must go through on a daily basis. I am thankful that I decided/chose  to have these hunger pains for just a few hours- for too many people around the world, they are forced to have hunger pains 24/7.  Every second, I found myself being thankful of something. Thankful for the shoes I have to put on. Thankful for the legs that I used to walk up the stairs. Thankful for the family I have now. Thankful for roof over my head. Thankful for the food in my fridge. Thankful the the clothes on my body. +much more.

This is one of the reasons why I love Ramadan so much. It offers so many moments for growth, reflection, appreciate for everything you have been given, including life. You pull yourself out of the material world, and you are able to view the world with a better focus, with a clearer, understanding, more compasionate lense- allowing nothing to be able to upset you.

I started to think about the disasters that have been happening around the world now and have happened recently in the last few year: The HUGE earthquake in Pakistan that took many lives and have left many homeless and sick; Katrina; oil spill in the gulf. just to name a few. So many people are experiencing events that have left them powerless. I even look at myself and those around me as being powerless, because honestly, we really have no power. We have just been spared from the disasters that makes ppl seem powerless.  Sure, we all have jobs, money, food, etc. But what would happen if a tragedy were to happen and we lost our jobs- we would have no money- no food. The ppl even in the Gulf. So many ppl have been forced to be unemployed, their sea food shops closed down- many of their avenues to make money have been damaged- possibly for a long time. How many of us would resemble the people of Katrina if a storm were to hit us next week? What if we got into a car accident the next time we left the house, and were left paralyzed, with no means to work? We really have no power.

Most of us are in the mercy of the powers that be, and that is something definately to keep in mind before judging and blaming others. We, me and no one that exists, are never in a position to look down on others because we have no idea what our future may hold. We don't know what tomorrow brings for us. A 1/2 second event can change our life forever. Whether we believe in God or not, we all have that in common.

I love to be around my Muslims during this time, because I look at their faces and their eyes, and I can tell they are all going through the same thing. I am thankful that I've made it to see this Ramadan because so many have not. Words to myself before anyone else. In writing all of this, I am talking to myself, more than I am writing this for others to read. I  won't be signing on doing this often, since I am cutting down on my computer, distraction, time, but I wanted to post this for something I can look back on.

To all the other Muslims fasting and reading this, I hope you all have a great month and are able to catch Lailatul Qadr. I hope this is the best Ramadan you have to date, because we never know if this is our last. (Two of my Muslim friends passed away the day before Ramadan and they were not able to witness this month)- Inna lillahi wa inna ilah rajiun "To Him we belong, and to Him we return.")

May God protect us any hardship greater than what we can bear. I pray that if and when we are met with hardships and difficulties in life, we gain much more than what we loose. I pray that the Most Merciful, God, have mercy on us and our shortcomings and forgive us for the mistakes that we make unknowingly and knowingly. Ameen.

Wa Salaamu Alaykum.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 11 2010 at 7:40pm

Quran Verse Reflection Day 1:

(Beautiful ayat from Chapter 2 in the Quran. Two of the most powerful and beautiful ayat in the Quran with a beautiful dua (supplication) in the ayat)

"The Messenger (Muhammad ) believes in what has been sent down to him from his Lord, and (so do) the believers. Each one believes in Allah (GOD), His Angels, His Books, and His Messengers. They say, "We make no distinction between one another of His Messengers" - and they say, "We hear, and we obey. (We seek) Your Forgiveness, our Lord, and to You is the return (of all)."  Allah (GOD) burdens not a person beyond his scope. He gets reward for that (good) which he has earned, and he is punished for that (evil) which he has earned. 

(Pray:) "Our Lord! Punish us not if we forget or fall into error, our Lord! Lay not on us a burden like that which You did lay on those before us; our Lord! Put not on us a burden greater than we have strength to bear. Pardon us and grant us Forgiveness. Have mercy on us. You are our Maula (Patron, Supporter and Protector, etc.) and help us against those who stand against Faith." "

(Quran Chapter 2: 285-286)
*Belle*Femme* View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2010 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by purpulicious01 purpulicious01 wrote:

Gab, I know what you mean. There were days when I missed waking up in time for the first meal, and it was a struggle to say the least. If I do any exercise while I'm fasting, which is rare, then it's very light. Especially with it being hot and the chance of dehydration, I'm careful about that.

Transit, I didn't even read those comments until you pointed them out. LOL. A mess.

I agree, it really is good for the body and the mind. You should give it a shot :) We can e-fast together! Thumbs%20Up

This thread makes me  wonder how people fasted back in the day, in the middle of the dessert under the blazing sun-- now THAT was fasting!
For real. Im fasting today and tomo for the month shawwal. Ive already done four days i need to do two more to have the total of six.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic