Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Racist Coworkers Classmates Etc Share Your Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Racist Coworkers Classmates Etc Share Your Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PiiNkBaYZeBrA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiiNkBaYZeBrA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Racist Coworkers Classmates Etc Share Your Stories
    Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:02pm
I'm going through this right nowDeadOuch 
Share your stories and how you've handled it
Sponsored Links

Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:08pm
What's going on darling?

Let's turn this into a help and empathy thread.
laceyfront View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote laceyfront Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:13pm
This thread aint gone do nothing but make me mad!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiiNkBaYZeBrA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:29pm
Lacey LOL That probably true

Long story short
1st occasion white corworker referred to me as "my n***a" to which I said "I'm NOT your Brotha"
2nd occasion He called me "ghetto" because I said "finna" in the break room and I replied by saying "I'm not on the clock, I can talk however I want"
3rd occasion, same day as second occasion he asked if he could call me "n***a" and I simply said "no"

A little background info: I'm a well mannered black teenage girl and I am no where near ghetto which is obvious because of my reactions to his ignorance. I'm always respectful to everyone and always smiling. I'm leaving this job in a little over a week so I doubt that telling management will do any good (even though all the managers/supervisors adore meTongue) It's just something that has been bothering me a lot.

I'm the only black girl at my job and the only black guy at my job is coon-ish

Edited by PiiNkBaYZeBrA - May 28 2013 at 11:39pm
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:35pm
^^ he feels comfortable/bold and needs to be checked. that sounds like time for a field trip to hr. it would be awesome if you were to start noting the date/time of these incidents. be sure to include "derogatory", "racial slur" and how you don't feel comfortable in your work in environment and you're trying not to let it effect your stellar performance. 

here's my story if you want one:

i was in a career psych class in grad school and the subject of "the n word" came up. one white chick took it upon herself to give the excuse "but they call us names". i looked at her like -- and my two friends on either side of me did the driving mom sudden brake procedure and threw their arm in front of me. i put my hands up and told them to calm down. 

i simply said i'm not going to run at you like i want to. first of all, other people's actions don't dictate yours. so you can leave your 1st grade logic at the door. second, people can say whatever they want. that is freedom of speech. however, people need to realize that with freedom comes responsibility. say what you want, but don't be surprised if what you say leads to a slap in the mouth as you're well aware of the risk you run saying that word. here's hoping the company you're around thinks before they act like i just did. 

she tried to give a half assed apology. i told her that i didn't accept it or her ignorance and all she needed to do was not say more than two words at a time to me and we'd be fine. 

from then, she'd try to smile at me like a non verbal "hello". i would at her and she would just look down. she didn't say anything else to me though. i was ok with that. 

i have others and come to think of it-- it's always white women effin up in my stories. they think they are quite slick and can just say and do whatever they please. 
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 11:48pm
I'm sorry to hear this, OP.  I have had several run-ins at school and at work.  What's crazy about living and working in Japan is that I can count on one hand the times I have encountered racism from Japanese (or Koreans), but I can't stop counting when it comes to whites who live here.  I often say that the discrimination I face isn't from Japanese--it's from other foreigners.

I've had whites ask me stupid questions about using the "n" word and I tell them that I would not be responsible for my or anyone else's perceptions of them as being racist if they choose to let that come out of their mouths.  I have had white women make snide comments at me when they were no longer the center of attention.  I knew the first time I took a particular incident to management and got a less than favorable response, I started to document everything and eventually it got put to good use.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 12:32am
I was in class last week when we had a speaker come talk to us about nursing care for acutely ill mentally ill patient.  He showed youtube videos of Bon Qui Qui and Sweet Brown.  Had nothing at all to do with the topic but apparently he thought we needed a laugh.  Not sure if that's racist but white male speaker + roaring white classmates made me feel some kind of way.
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 12:43am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

^^ he feels comfortable/bold and needs to be checked. that sounds like time for a field trip to hr. it would be awesome if you were to start noting the date/time of these incidents. be sure to include "derogatory", "racial slur" and how you don't feel comfortable in your work in environment and you're trying not to let it effect your stellar performance. 

here's my story if you want one:

i was in a career psych class in grad school and the subject of "the n word" came up. one white chick took it upon herself to give the excuse "but they call us names". i looked at her like -- and my two friends on either side of me did the driving mom sudden brake procedure and threw their arm in front of me. i put my hands up and told them to calm down. 

i simply said i'm not going to run at you like i want to. first of all, other people's actions don't dictate yours. so you can leave your 1st grade logic at the door. second, people can say whatever they want. that is freedom of speech. however, people need to realize that with freedom comes responsibility. say what you want, but don't be surprised if what you say leads to a slap in the mouth as you're well aware of the risk you run saying that word. here's hoping the company you're around thinks before they act like i just did. 

she tried to give a half assed apology. i told her that i didn't accept it or her ignorance and all she needed to do was not say more than two words at a time to me and we'd be fine. 

from then, she'd try to smile at me like a non verbal "hello". i would at her and she would just look down. she didn't say anything else to me though. i was ok with that. 

i have others and come to think of it-- it's always white women effin up in my stories. they think they are quite slick and can just say and do whatever they please. 

classy

you should have schooled that one poster who let her white roommate run all over her and call her the n word.

this is how it's done without violence

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 1:00am
OP, you need to document these incidents and have a talk with your job's HR department or 1800 number for complaints on the job. Even if you're leaving, I'd still file a complaint about the little asshat. Who knows? You might not be the only one.

Even if you were ghetto, not well mannered, disrespectful and didn't smile he doesn't have a right to call you that or any of the other racist names.

Edited by carolina cutie - May 29 2013 at 1:00am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PiiNkBaYZeBrA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 2:02am
Skip past managers/supervisors and go straight to HR?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic