Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
lady_tee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2009 at 6:39pm
i live in london.

so i donno about ppl having problems in ireland or wales. i no they r friendly doe. 
Sponsored Links

lady_tee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2009 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by mixedladee mixedladee wrote:

i go overseas every year to visit family && let me tell you; if you look different you will have a lot to get use to over there. my boyfriend is maybe two tones darker then me and we get stared at all the time. plus ive gotten, 'why are you with that black boy' but he is also mixed. wtf?? i just wish people could be with whoever they wanna be with && not get stares or remarks. but i guess that is just wishful thinking.

omg!!! that is so rude!!"

i would of been really pissed off

whcih country was it??

wb
StylingArabella View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 23 2009 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by Bmorelyketip Bmorelyketip wrote:

I agree with Morningglory, just a different country. I'm in Australia right now and I have never been more aware that I am black....it took me about a month to get used to the constant stares and such, but now I'm used to it. Plus some people treat me like a celebrity, so yay for being the only black person! lol.... fyi: I've been here since July. I go to school in sydney. ~TIP~

I worked in Melbourne Australia off and on since 2004. People could not get enough of me! I was aware that I was black because it was always treated as a good thing Smile, bout time!! America needs to learn from the Australian! These people thought I was rich like Puff Daddy lol! I went in the Louis Vuitton store in the Crown and the sales ladies nearly fell over themselves to help me...that never happens here! I think Melbourne is more culturaly diverse than Sydney.
pinkextra View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 6:55pm
Hello Everyone,

I travel from time to time so I know all about being Black overseas.  I have been to about 32 countries and I have even visited some of the countries mentioned in this thread.

Black women are considered a novelty in places like Serbia (Eastern Europe).  I have been there a few times and plan to return for a visit again soon.  I've had guys follow me, people taking photos with or without permission, touching my hair and skin and overall staring at me.  It's a part of daily life in Serbia as they hardly see any Blacks at all.  You will be an attraction, point blank!  I have gotten VIP club entrances, free drinks, and the like. I was even paid to dance on stage in one particular club! On another note, one guy tried to stab my friend with a knife because he wouldn't let him talk to me.  So yes, you get the craziness associated with being Black.

Anyways, I wouldn't change a thing at the end of the day.  I'm just happy to see other like-minded Black women traveling across the globe.  It is indeed a diamond in the rough for most!
mixedladee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 11:24pm
lady_tee;
it was in italy && i get it over here but not so often ):
StylingArabella;
lol i need to go over there but i wouldnt get the same reaction. a guy once asked me, "what are you black or white?" and i replied, "mixed" he said, "no...black or white" ????? so i said, "whatever the hell you want my race to be." it gets frustrating but i wouldnt change anything. lol

Edited by mixedladee - Apr 01 2009 at 11:24pm
bardiamond View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 4:46am

Along the lines of how different counties and cultures react to racism, this question caught my attention and I began to wonder if anyone has experience discrimination based on a personís disability or different abilities?

Does anyone have any personal experiences of discrimination or maybe any experienced by a family member or friend?  Iíve found that the UK seems to be more accepting of those in the disability community.

lilbehr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2009 at 5:48pm
that's true. on the bus it has a request to surrender your seat for someone less able to stand
this one is funny..."don't take it out on our staff",  referring to bus driver abuse
lot's of anti violence adverts regarding elder abuse
gainfully employed disabled workers...yep they do a pretty good job of it here!
bardiamond View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2009 at 12:01am
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  That was a cute saying "don't take it out on our staff"  LOL  So true! 
trophywife View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by Cupcake77 Cupcake77 wrote:

Visiting in HongKong and Japan, people have stared at me but that's about it.  The one thing I've noticed about Japanese culture that if you're part japanese, they don't care, it doesn't count and don't try to front.  You're not one of them, that kind of hurt the first time I went b/c I was so excited about learning  more about that side of my family and I literally had to lie about being related to my aunts around their elderly friends so they wouldn't get flack about having black relatives.  I could go into a whole rant about japan and they're race issues and stereotypes, just like ranting on black culture but for now i"m just gonna zip it.
My husband has a firm here in the US but is also a partner in a firm based in Japan so we go there several times per year.  It's true, don't even pretend to be Japanese they are having NONE of that but I find them to be very appreciative of other cultures.  I've lived in England (loved it), Ireland (the men go crazy for black girls), & i've vacationed in a whole host of other places but i've never experienced ANY sort of racism or feeling uncomfortable, now here in the US is another story.   Not to brag but we do well financially & live in 2 upscale neighborhoods (we are bi-coastal) & we still get crazy looks from our neighbors.
AClassAct View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2009 at 7:45am
Originally posted by AquarianYardie AquarianYardie wrote:

I experience more racism in America than any other predom white/euro nation I've been too

LOL Damn!
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic