Topic ClosedRacism Abroad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
helenitita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 10:02pm
they stared maybe because they liked you. Italian man have an obsession with black girls. jeje.
with that being said, I have been living in europe for 7 years now, ( Im dominican, bi racial ) and some people do stare hard, and they wanna touch your hair if u have a fro. lol
Sponsored Links

DeeDee58517 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2012 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by GoatGoatEtc. GoatGoatEtc. wrote:

Let me a pose a question to all:

What are some of you traveling for?

And how did you go about learning the language? How long you study it?

I want to retink my Japanese, it's at infant level now. lol

I traveled (and will be continuing to travel) to experience the world, as cheesy as it sounds. I want to get most of my traveling out of the way while I'm still young and free with no kids. No one else in my immediate family has even been out of the states, so not only am I doing it for me but indirectly I'm doing it for them too. Right now I'm basic/conversational in French and Spanish, but I want to become fluent in those languages. I've taken classes in college, French I've been studying for 2 years, Spanish I started learning the basics in middle school and took classes in college... I'm want to mainly travel to Spanish/French speaking regions and live there for a few months, or even a year.

I always though it would be tough to learn languages with different symbols for letters. Kudos to you!

Edited by DeeDee58517 - Jan 18 2012 at 2:08pm
305Vibing View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2012 at 1:21am
Has anyone been to Russia? If so, plz tell me your experience. I'm debating on going to do a gig there in March. I know that the amount of people over there that are of African descent is low, so I'm really curious to know. 
charchar View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2012 at 7:01am
Originally posted by 305Vibing 305Vibing wrote:

Has anyone been to Russia? If so, plz tell me your experience. I'm debating on going to do a gig there in March. I know that the amount of people over there that are of African descent is low, so I'm really curious to know. 

I'm from the UK. I have a friend who is a trained dancer and conversational in Russian she went to visit a ballet school I think it's in Moscow. Anyway she said the people were friendly and she went out often over there and encountered no problems. Obviously different people, different experiences. If people are only used to seeing those who look like themselves, they will be intrigued when they encounter something new - anyone would. A Ukrainian girl I work with was shocked when she came to England because she'd never seen black and Asian people before. She even told me I was a nice person for a black girl. At first I was like WTF. But she explained because of the portrayal of black people on tv and we all know how that story goes.
marissy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2012 at 12:09pm
Anybody been to Finland?

My roommate and I went to dinner with her Korean friend and her Finnish roommate. Me and the Korean girl were okay, but the Finnish girl kept giving me these weird looks and looked too scared to talk. She seemed surprised that I was black. Lol Are black people that rare in Finland?Confused I would expect there to be a sizable population in some of the major cities.
piikpikt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 24 2012 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by marissy marissy wrote:

Anybody been to Finland?

My roommate and I went to dinner with her Korean friend and her Finnish roommate. Me and the Korean girl were okay, but the Finnish girl kept giving me these weird looks and looked too scared to talk. She seemed surprised that I was black. Lol Are black people that rare in Finland?Confused I would expect there to be a sizable population in some of the major cities.

I haven't been to Finland, but I did a month-long training course with 4 Finns and they were nice people. They told me Finnish culture isn't very warm or touchy-feely at all, so that might explain a little perceived unfriendliness...There are black people in Finland, especially in the larger cities, but most are African immigrants. Either way, I don't know about Finnish racism on the whole, but the 4 I met didn't act strange around me at all.
Avoniee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 1:47am
I have been fortunate enough to travel to place where racism was and issue i got the most typical stares and ask from "friends" is they can touch my hair...Israel (tel aviv, Ramat Gan, Jerusalem, Galil,) and i loved these place i had a ball....Japan (Tokyo, Hiroshima, Sapporo) beautiful people warm and welcoming...Philippines i love this place especially Manila i have made some awesome friend there and plan on going back...however there is place like Amsterdam,Greece,Italy and London are on my list for places in the future I've heard stories about them and I'm kinda nervous to travel to these places and i will travel at the drop of a hat!Confused
Avoniee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 1:50am
wasn't 
charchar View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 17 2012 at 4:18am
Originally posted by Avoniee Avoniee wrote:

I have been fortunate enough to travel to place where racism was and issue i got the most typical stares and ask from "friends" is they can touch my hair...Israel (tel aviv, Ramat Gan, Jerusalem, Galil,) and i loved these place i had a ball....Japan (Tokyo, Hiroshima, Sapporo) beautiful people warm and welcoming...Philippines i love this place especially Manila i have made some awesome friend there and plan on going back...however there is place like Amsterdam,Greece,Italy and London are on my list for places in the future I've heard stories about them and I'm kinda nervous to travel to these places and i will travel at the drop of a hat![IMG]smileys/smiley5.gif" alt="Confused" title="Confused[/IMG]

I've been to Amsterdam it very nice and multicultural, there are many people of Surinam and Iranian descent. I will say tho some Dutch men act a little strange but nothing too bad. London is very multicultural too, I'm British and moving there soon. If anything when I'm there I find it hard to find anyone who speaks English, it's that diverse. My brother went to Greece with friends one black, one Asian and had a great time. It just depends which part you go too. A friend who recently went to Athens was advised not to go out in the evening. The city's become run down since the recession and crime has risen and taxis ain't apparently safe to get either. Italy I've always heard positive things about.
cabolady121 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2012 at 4:29pm
I live in Holland and I can tell you that it's very multicultural and people welcome black people, most people from abroad don't know that. London is great as well and very multicultural. Know a bit of countries in Europe and Holland and the UK are the most tolerant from all of them Thumbs Up
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic