Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rachel Jeantel & Black American English

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 4:26pm
I understand now why people come for Printer Ink . You should join a white forum . Unhappy
Sponsored Links

Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Claudie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

The whole point is that there is no reason for a code switch if corporate leaders used Ebonics.   

but of course...lol. 
it was slightly amusing for a second there tho...Embarrassed

virtually, no one in an executive leadership role (regardless of ethnicity and/or existence of alt language) speaks casually in formal business settings especially when officially representing the brand.  i'd venture to say this is holds true all over the world.  not sure why the world was brought into her not logic anyway, since ebonics is mainly spoken in the united states.  more fail...but i digress. 

yes.  we know that there is a single communication standard to rise to the top of corp america.  and we know that ebonics isn't it.  we don't need becky to tell us that. 

none of that has anything to do with who does or does not speak it...

Gurls!!  KFoxx & TC, this broken ankle is twitching.  TC, KFoxx, LadyBird, India, CC, Noneyons, Diane, said all that I would say. 

Edited by Claudie - Jul 27 2013 at 4:47pm
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zsazsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 6:42pm
Loved the discussion on this thread. I just watched Rachel on Youtube (I shouldn't have read the comments on there ;( and I personally think it's not that she does not know how to switch but she may have a learning disability /processing information. 

Limalady View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limalady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

Loved the discussion on this thread. I just watched Rachel on Youtube (I shouldn't have read the comments on there ;( and I personally think it's not that she does not know how to switch but she may have a learning disability /processing information. 

I don't think she has a learning disability. It seems to me that she processes information well. She is sharp. She just doesn't have a filter, and she may have a speech impediment. She was explaining her underbite on Pier's show, and her difficultly pronouncing words.

Even if she didn't though, going strictly off of her use of ebonics, she would still be judged. In law school i had several friends who were perceived as less intelligent simply because of their use of vernacular. I called people out on it too. I really hate seeing that. Cry
Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 8:00pm
I've recently notice that AAVE has a rhythm to it that standard English doesn't have. If you try to say words or phrases in AAVE without the rhythm it doesn't sound "right".

Try to say these phrases without a rhythm and you will sound all types of crazy:

“What I gotta lie for?” “You ain’t said nuttin’ but a word.” “Go ‘head girl, with yo’ bad self!” “He may not come when you want Him, but He is surely right on time.” “You betta ask somebody!”
AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 27 2013 at 8:07pm
OMG @Samone that's hilarious because I read those phrases before reading what you had wrote above.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:09am
Great addition Samone.  I did as you suggested and cracked up.  This why yt folks sound so stupid stealing are style.  Same with dancing - No rhythm!!
femmemichelle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote femmemichelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2013 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Limalady Limalady wrote:

Originally posted by zsazsa zsazsa wrote:

I don't think she has a learning disability. It seems to me that she processes information well. She is sharp. She just doesn't have a filter, and she may have a speech impediment. She was explaining her underbite on Pier's show, and her difficultly pronouncing words.

Even if she didn't though, going strictly off of her use of ebonics, she would still be judged. In law school i had several friends who were perceived as less intelligent simply because of their use of vernacular. I called people out on it too. I really hate seeing that. Cry

This. When I watched her on Piers and the way she'd take long, almost uncomfortable pauses while or before answering made me realize it's probably a combination of a lack of a proper education and a speech impediment. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181920