BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rachel Jeantel & Black American English

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:16pm
CC, you sound regular to me.

Eta: I don't really know what I mean by regular lol but I guess I'm trying to say that I didn't notice anything particular about the way you spoke.

Edited by AshBash89 - Jul 26 2013 at 11:17pm
Sponsored Links

_ConcreteRose_ View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _ConcreteRose_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:17pm
I work in a high need, predominately black school. Most of my kids can code switch. I've noticed that they don't code switch based on teacher/peers however. They will speak one way academically, and another way casually even if they are speaking to teachers.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by AshBash89 AshBash89 wrote:

CC, you sound regular to me.

Eta: I don't really know what I mean by regular lol but I guess I'm trying to say that I didn't notice anything particular about the way you spoke.
Thank you!!! You would think I was speaking in a formal British accent around folk in these partsCryLOL
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

ETA Kfoxx just watched the youtube vid LOL what you term the "hood vernacular" = cockney.

Yessss thats the word!  I love it.  Sounds so dirty to my ears
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:24pm
this reminds me of the conversation we had about the WofF contestant who lost the game because she spoke in a slang or vernacular.  Folks was talmbout what she said was valid and they need to give her her money because that's the way folks speak. And this is on a show that requires proper pronunication and spelling.  So how come it was ok for her and valid but not so for AA vernacular?
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:24pm
Noneyon, yes!  I was typing the following while you were typing:

-----------

none your logic isn't way off and it is a reasonable place to arrive.  One step further is what I think Ash is saying.  Whether someone can fully understand all of the words in a language yet continue to speak it differently than what is "normative" without a specific purpose or point to prove.  The answer is definitely yes.   Not to sound tragic or anything but consider that many of the kids in the "hood" never expect or desire to leave there.  I know quite a few actually.  They even feel uncomfortable outside of their own blocks.  They would have no use for preparing to assimilate.  They may completely reject it even and fear it.  They can manage Yes ma'am and Yes sir by adult glares but outside of that they have no use for it.

But Rachel is also keenly aware that the world is changing.  She made that very clear in the Piers interview.  She's a few years away from understanding that change is painfully slow.  She may only start to adjust when forced.  College will be interesting if she decides to go.   Her eyes will open big to things she never thought she had to consider.  Left alone she is where she needs to be to survive in her own space.

Pure speculationEmbarrassed
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:26pm
English be jacking others' words all the time even those countries they were enemies with French Dutch Spanish et al. The English = original swaggerjackers. Ye Olde English is nothing like its modern day descendant. Language is dynamic (surprised no one dropped this little gem of a broken record)

Lol at it sounding dirty to your ears...you little guilty pleasure.

OOOhhh Jamaicans put "tea" onto every hot beverage that is not soup or porridge. So you have "tea' (this is tea-tea) "chocolate tea" "milo tea' "horlicks tea" and "coffee tea" even the baby's formula from the bottle = tea. I kid you not. "You give the baby him tea yet?"

ETA Noney, I scond that love and I swear that's what I meant to type tooWink

Edited by Diane (35) - Jul 26 2013 at 11:30pm
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:27pm
kfoxx. this is why i love youHeart
AshBash89 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AshBash89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:28pm
@Kfoxx, yes!
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 11:32pm
Even at 1am kfoxx is on it.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 20>