BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Rachel Jeantel & Black American English

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 20>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 3.40  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Omni Harmony View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Omni Harmony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

good points ladies. 

if rachel can understand/comprehend when standard english is spoken to her (without someone translating for her), it only stands to reason that she could speak it IF she chose to. i don't buy that whole, 'she doesn't know any better' business. its a whole lot deeper than that. 
Stern Smile  I'd like to delve into this, but I have to go now.  maybe I'll pm you tomorrowBig smile
Sponsored Links

Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

UK ppl - what is it called when someone white speaks a certain way that tells other whites that they are from a certain class maybe.  My ears distiguish one that is very proper and one that sounds kinda "hood".  Do you guys know what I mean.  On SNL they do this skit where the queen speaks very proper but when everyone leaves the room there is a switch to a grimy sounding vernacular.   That thing is hilariousLOL

like "my fair lady"?

yeah. that's pretty prevalent in the appalachian region. you got ppl that speak the dialect and some that speak standard english
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:27pm
Throwing out one more thing here.  Remember when blck people were uneasy about Crump because of the way he speaks.  Same thing happened all over again here.  We got distracted by our OWN vernacular and then add his slow speech pattern and I guess a little lisp, they were judging him negatively.  I kept saying that man is very smart, get past your own hangups and focus.
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:30pm
my avi's from the matrix (i think reloaded). nona gaye and harold perineau (sp?) 

one of my favorite trilogiesHeart
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:33pm

lol Diane - they call us ignorant for the way we speak but we are fluent in at least two languages it seems.  Then you add languages we learned in "school" (Spanish for me) we're up to three by the end of hs.  Boom bishes!

We're bilingual yes. LOL English isn't the easiest language to learn. Some of the local Educators want Jamaican Patois to be taught in schools and other want ESL i really beleive the ESL would help the sitation a lot. The same challenges found in the AA community are the same ones out here. Speaking "proper"= oohh you think you better than people/you are not real etc etc

Just this week I gave a customer some info she came back and said she got it all wrong even though i thought she Understood me. She said it was due to the language barrier. She said i speak Acrylic English I nearly died! I asked what she meant she repeated it, it could have been that she was trying to say the Queen's English (but Jamaican's have a knack for corrupting words] Maybe she meant it was polished (acrylic) i dunno.LOL
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:34pm

Throwing out one more thing here.  Remember when blck people were uneasy about Crump because of the way he speaks.  Same thing happened all over again here.  We got distracted by our OWN vernacular and then add his slow speech pattern and I guess a little lisp, they were judging him negatively.  I kept saying that man is very smart, get past your own hangups and focus.
Indeed.Smile
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:35pm
I don't think black American English should be dismissed.

I have so any different speaking voices and dialects.

American English, black American English, Spanglish and Spanish...I'm multilingual
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:35pm
Yes reloaded - that was the smexy one.  Revolutions and the Original were all mind-fckn onlyHeart

One of the only trilogies you could watch for the first time today and think it was a current movie.  Can't believe the franchise is almost 15yrs old.  BravoClap
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:36pm
American English isn't easy to learn at all.

Edited by Rumbera - Jul 26 2013 at 10:36pm
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

good points ladies. 

if rachel can understand/comprehend when standard english is spoken to her (without someone translating for her), it only stands to reason that she could speak it IF she chose to. i don't buy that whole, 'she doesn't know any better' business. its a whole lot deeper than that. 

Not necessarily. When i was in Martinique s well as my time spent in school studying I could kind of understand what the people/ I understood what classmates/teachers were saying but when it came to speaking I was a MUTE. I can read it now (although much much less) but I can't write it at all. I need to take classes for another language(s), I;ve been putting it of for years SMDH

Edited by Diane (35) - Jul 26 2013 at 10:40pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style