Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Quit job before having another lined up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AwesomeAries View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AwesomeAries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:38pm
use craigslist to capitalize on your natural styling skills
you would be surprised how many people need someone to do natural hair
blah babysitting, blah tutoring LOL
I have a friend who goes to school full time and supports herself by doing hair

Sponsored Links

LilMissSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LilMissSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by HowardAlumAKA HowardAlumAKA wrote:

Would you be ok doing customer service work? Even if you did it part time? Its monies until you find something else....and they take everybody because they know people will quit eventually
I don't think customer service is a good idea. That may be moving from bad to worse. That's what I'm doing. I remember one week the EMS was at my job everyday wheeling out girls who had panic attacks.
Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 10:12pm
3 months savings is not enough to quit. While no job is worth your sanity, being unemployed with a shrinking fund will stress you out more. Only quit if you can go home and stay with family while you job search.

I would HIGHLY recommend using some vacation time or a long weekend to focus your job search. Before the days free use whatever few free hours you can scrape to job search and bookmark interesting jobs.

On your free day edit your resume/cover letter and apply to those joints back to back. Don't rush, make sure you proofread, but you should be able to knock out about 20 in a day.
aNgElIc*SoUl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aNgElIc*SoUl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:27am
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

Can you quit in your state and receive unemployment? You said that you're injured...do you qualify for disability? That's the only way that I would do it if I had less than 6 months worth of expenses saved. 

You never know how long that it could take to find a new job. My sister quit her job because it was emotionally taxing and she felt free as a bird for the first two months. Then it sunk in that finding a job is no easy thing these days. She was out of work for eight months and she's an engineer Confused She took a job that was worse than the last one, but she got an offer four months after she started.

There's no guarantee that your next job will be any better. You want to walk into a better situation, which you can do when you have the financial leverage to do so. If you feel like it's something that you have to do, then do it, but be prepared.

See I did this too, but I didn't have a degree. This is especially eye opening seeing people with degrees not being able to find jobs. Shyyyyt I'll never do that ish again. If you are working in the field your degree is in and you can't handle this job.....what are you going to do in the future? It's good to have experience to go along with your education. I'm sure you can get a full time call center or retail type of job if you hate it that much.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aNgElIc*SoUl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:30am
Originally posted by LilMissSunshine LilMissSunshine wrote:

Would you be ok doing customer service work? Even if you did it part time? Its monies until you find something else....and they take everybody because they know people will quit eventually
I don't think customer service is a good idea. That may be moving from bad to worse. That's what I'm doing. I remember one week the EMS was at my job everyday wheeling out girls who had panic attacks.

Wow. It's customer service, who gets that upset at someone yelling at you over the phone? I never let it bother me to that extent.
foxyroy19 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote foxyroy19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:38am
It is not only having a customer yell at you but other factors as call time, call hold, phone etiquette,  company script or call points etc.  High volume call center can break most people.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aNgElIc*SoUl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 1:51am
Originally posted by foxyroy19 foxyroy19 wrote:

It is not only having a customer yell at you but other factors as call time, call hold, phone etiquette,  company script or call points etc.  High volume call center can break most people.

Yea, I know. Well if people can't handle that, how do they think they can handle more difficult jobs?
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 4:21am
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

Originally posted by LilMissSunshine LilMissSunshine wrote:

Wow. It's customer service, who gets that upset at someone yelling at you over the phone? I never let it bother me to that extent.

Not everyone is made of Teflon.LOL
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

I know its not a good idea to quit your job without having another one lined up, but are there circumstances that justify doing it?

I am debating hard about this.

My job is physically (I'm currently injured) and mentally (coworker recently had a stress induced panic attack and I feel like I might not be far behind)draining. Which would be fine if I felt like it would get me somewhere but this is a dead-end and I know it. 

No such thing as work/life balance at this place. Regularly work 50+ hour weeks with no overtime cause I'm on salary. Get notified about change of schedule on the day of. "Oh yeah we are working a 12 hour shift today instead of an 8"

The job is in my field (chemistry) but I do not feel like I am learning much of anything that I didn't already know from school.

I constantly have to fight with the other managers to do my job and have to babysit the non-salaried workers in order to make sure they do their job correctly.

I've just been trying to hold on until I get into graduate school, so I can help my mom with bills.

I have a little over three months worth of expenses saved.

Whatchu think?

Should I quit now and immediately start a job search?
Or should I risk more physical and mental injury to keep a steady pay check and job search when I'm not passed out tired from work(the weekends...that if I they don't decide to call me in)?

You need to get out of there .. but do it in a smart way.

1 - line up your interviews with company A - Z within a set 2 week period

2 - call in 'sick' from this job for 2 weeks

3- with those 2 weeks - interview constantly

4- return to work week 3 and wait for the offers to come in

5- when you get an offer - accept it but tell them you cannot start until X day so that you can have a nice 2 week break between jobs.

If your FIELD is Chemistry and they had you doing baby work ... this would be career suicide.

Edited by Printer_Ink - May 08 2014 at 8:48am
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2014 at 11:56am
It depends on how quickly you can find another job.  Some people can find another job in a matter of a few days, whereas if you work in a saturated field it could take months.

What are you going to graduate school for?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic