Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Quit job before having another lined up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bribby View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bribby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:46pm
My daughters father is kind of in the same position. His job is so physical, he ending up getting another job, but it's nothing like hes used to. Sitting all day and its full time.. He doesn't want to leave the people he works for hanging so he's really like what should I do? He's like should he ask just to work once a month, or to take a leave of absence or just quit. Just so he can try the new job out.. It's a hard decision to make. I'd start looking for job immediately and try to stick it out until you're secure. Unless you just need a break and can afford it.
Sponsored Links

Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Contact your doctor to document your physical and mental well being . How long have you work for the company ? Many states will allow unemplyoment benefits even if you quit under certain circumstance . I would also consult with a free legal service . Money means nothing at the cost of your health . I quit a job years ago as a 911 operator . The state gave me umemployment with a 2 week penalty . Good luck.

My physical injury is documented with my personal doctor and HR but you are right, I do need to see someone so that my mental state is also documented.

I've only been with the company for a year. Which seems to be the normal turnover rate for this place.

Edited by Samoneisthebest - May 06 2014 at 12:48pm
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

I know its not a good idea to quit your job without having another one lined up, but are there circumstances that justify doing it?

I am debating hard about this.

My job is physically (I'm currently injured) and mentally (coworker recently had a stress induced panic attack and I feel like I might not be far behind)draining. Which would be fine if I felt like it would get me somewhere but this is a dead-end and I know it. 

No such thing as work/life balance at this place. Regularly work 50+ hour weeks with no overtime cause I'm on salary. Get notified about change of schedule on the day of. "Oh yeah we are working a 12 hour shift today instead of an 8"

The job is in my field (chemistry) but I do not feel like I am learning much of anything that I didn't already know from school.

I constantly have to fight with the other managers to do my job and have to babysit the non-salaried workers in order to make sure they do their job correctly.

I've just been trying to hold on until I get into graduate school, so I can help my mom with bills.

When do you plan to go back to school?  if soon (like this fall) then stick it out while looking for another job.  If your plans are to go back like 1-2 years from now, maybe its best to quit and look now. 

Are your plans to work while in school as well?  If so be sure to try to secure a job that will allow you the time to do your studies while getting a paycheck.

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:53pm
Can you act like you just re-injured yourself and take 1.5 wks off from work as sick leave? Use the sick leave to apply for 100 targeted jobs in your area and in other areas and to reach out to former classmates & colleagues that are in your field to ask for their help with your job search. This is the worst time for you to quit b/c companies have just exhausted their hiring budgets by making job offers to undergrad & graduate students that complete their degrees in May 2014.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Bribby Bribby wrote:

My daughters father is kind of in the same position. His job is so physical, he ending up getting another job, but it's nothing like hes used to. Sitting all day and its full time.. He doesn't want to leave the people he works for hanging so he's really like what should I do? He's like should he ask just to work once a month, or to take a leave of absence or just quit. Just so he can try the new job out.. It's a hard decision to make. I'd start looking for job immediately and try to stick it out until you're secure. Unless you just need a break and can afford it.

Yes lawd. I bought a fitbit to see how much I'm really doing at work. I'm averaging 50 to 60 flights of stairs a day (which led to my injury), climbing ladders, walking an average of 6 miles, picking up 50lb weights on a regular basis, all with layers of PPE and no air condition. It's freakin South Alabama! who doesn't have central air!?

I'm suppose to be sitting cool in somebodies lab. We don't even have chairs in our lab. (Big bish broke it and we never got a new one)
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:56pm
Toughen up softie.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:58pm
I plan on starting grad school Spring 2015 or Fall 2015. Depending on if I get into my top choice.

I do not plan to work while in school.

Edited by Samoneisthebest - May 06 2014 at 1:00pm
mommykat View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mommykat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

Contact your doctor to document your physical and mental well being . How long have you work for the company ? Many states will allow unemplyoment benefits even if you quit under certain circumstance . I would also consult with a free legal service . Money means nothing at the cost of your health . I quit a job years ago as a 911 operator . The state gave me umemployment with a 2 week penalty . Good luck.

NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (10) Thanks(10)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:02pm
FYI - If I were you, I would drop a dime to the department of labor. No bs. I had a job where they fired 50 people and gave us their work load without increasing our pay, without modifying our job descriptions etc and it was impossible for the team to do the work in an 8hr day so we all worked really late for months without overtime pay and this was what the company thought was going to be the new normal. Some anonymous person contacted the dept of labor and they sent a rep to our office and interviewed everyone 1 by 1 and we told the amount of hours that we worked without extra pay, without any extra benefits. Weeks later, we all got checks with $xxxx.00 in our pay stubs to make up for the hours extra that we hadnt been paid for and the company gave us optional overtime to finish the extra work and if you didnt want to stay, you were told to leave at your regular work hours (4pm). The execs were on pins & needles and kissin the emplyess azzes after that LOL
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by NJHairLuv NJHairLuv wrote:

Can you act like you just re-injured yourself and take 1.5 wks off from work as sick leave? Use the sick leave to apply for 100 targeted jobs in your area and in other areas and to reach out to former classmates & colleagues that are in your field to ask for their help with your job search. This is the worst time for you to quit b/c companies have just exhausted their hiring budgets by making job offers to undergrad & graduate students that complete their degrees in May 2014.

LOL They require documentation for all injuries, so I can't fake a new one. 

I got sent home today for some BS that aint got nothing to do with me. (Even my boss rolled his eyes) So I've been sending out resumes left and right. Six so far.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>