Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Quit job before having another lined up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quit job before having another lined up?
    Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:14pm
I know its not a good idea to quit your job without having another one lined up, but are there circumstances that justify doing it?

I am debating hard about this.

My job is physically (I'm currently injured) and mentally (coworker recently had a stress induced panic attack and I feel like I might not be far behind)draining. Which would be fine if I felt like it would get me somewhere but this is a dead-end and I know it. 

No such thing as work/life balance at this place. Regularly work 50+ hour weeks with no overtime cause I'm on salary. Get notified about change of schedule on the day of. "Oh yeah we are working a 12 hour shift today instead of an 8"

The job is in my field (chemistry) but I do not feel like I am learning much of anything that I didn't already know from school.

I constantly have to fight with the other managers to do my job and have to babysit the non-salaried workers in order to make sure they do their job correctly.

I've just been trying to hold on until I get into graduate school, so I can help my mom with bills.

I have a little over three months worth of expenses saved.

Whatchu think?

Should I quit now and immediately start a job search?
Or should I risk more physical and mental injury to keep a steady pay check and job search when I'm not passed out tired from work(the weekends...that if I they don't decide to call me in)?
Sponsored Links

JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:18pm
Only you know how much more you can take before going postal on their asses. It's always better to have a job to get a job but do what you have to do to preserve your sanity.
SimplyPut View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote SimplyPut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:22pm
If you have a substantial emergency fund that can carry you for a certain period or secure circumstances lined up to support yourself as you look for employment, I say go for it. We all could use a mental and physical break from time to time.
niecy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote niecy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:26pm
Go with your gut. Just make sure you'll be able to support yourself still until you find another job if you do quit.
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Only you know how much more you can take before going postal on their asses. It's always better to have a job to get a job but do what you have to do to preserve your sanity.
This. I know 2 people who quit for their sanity and they went through a little rough patch while looking for work but they ended up being okay. Their health improved and so did their attitude.

HugHug
510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:35pm
dont do it.  you always need a backup plan!
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:42pm
i did that, but i was living with my mom at the time. I was at a job that was making me emotionally ill. to the point where i rapidly lost weight. i had to walk away. But, i could never do that now, without having something lined up.
Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samoneisthebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:43pm
I'm trying so hard to be responsible. Ugghhh.

If this were just another retail job like when I was in high school and college, I would have quit months ago.

india100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote india100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:43pm
Contact your doctor to document your physical and mental well being . How long have you work for the company ? Many states will allow unemplyoment benefits even if you quit under certain circumstance . I would also consult with a free legal service . Money means nothing at the cost of your health . I quit a job years ago as a 911 operator . The state gave me umemployment with a 2 week penalty . Good luck.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 12:45pm
Unless you're in a highly coveted field like IT where you can find a job in 5 minutes I wouldn't do it. You just started working & you're going to have to work sh*tty hours sometimes. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic