Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedQuit job before having another lined up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:56pm
Can you quit in your state and receive unemployment? You said that you're injured...do you qualify for disability? That's the only way that I would do it if I had less than 6 months worth of expenses saved. 

You never know how long that it could take to find a new job. My sister quit her job because it was emotionally taxing and she felt free as a bird for the first two months. Then it sunk in that finding a job is no easy thing these days. She was out of work for eight months and she's an engineer Confused She took a job that was worse than the last one, but she got an offer four months after she started.

There's no guarantee that your next job will be any better. You want to walk into a better situation, which you can do when you have the financial leverage to do so. If you feel like it's something that you have to do, then do it, but be prepared.

Sponsored Links

melly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 2:42pm
I used to quit jobs too in the past without another one lined but sometimes I would get lucky and find a few job right away, the economy was way better back then but I certainly wouldn't do that now. I think you should go to a employment agency on your days off and look for a new job before quitting the one you have.

Edited by melly - May 07 2014 at 2:45pm
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 5:32pm
I done it before but the economy was different back then.  What I think you should do now is start networking and put the word out that you are looking for new opportunities.  If it is that dire, make sure you have enough saved up for a year or two before quitting.  In the mean time, start subbing or depending on your state, get your certification in pharmacy and get your license, assuming that you state doesn't require schooling (i.e. education in pharmacy technician) aside a high school diploma or GED.
Samoneisthebest View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Good to hear you are looking to move. There's quite a few chemistry jobs in the northeast but frankly they will be temp jobs usually with no relocation and no benefits and the environment won't be all that different.

I'm kind of concerned because you seem not to enjoy working in a lab, your experience in the OP seems somewhat typical for this type of work.

I somewhat enjoy the lab work. It isn't particularly stressful or hard physically. 

I hate the quality assurance part of the job. Which is out of the lab and in the production room babysitting grown people. The mundane day-to-day of being a quality control chemist is mind numbing. I've been told that most work for chemist with only a BS is like this.

I need to get into research again so that I feel like I am making a difference and contributing to innovation. I worked in a research lab for three years during undergrad and loved it.

Edited by Samoneisthebest - May 06 2014 at 5:25pm
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 5:18pm
If you fed up and you can afford it then yeah.
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 5:15pm
Good to hear you are looking to move. There's quite a few chemistry jobs in the northeast but frankly they will be temp jobs usually with no relocation and no benefits and the environment won't be all that different.

I'm kind of concerned because you seem not to enjoy working in a lab, your experience in the OP seems somewhat typical for this type of work.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:57pm

Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

You already have a bachelors?

yes mam

I was going to suggest looking into substitute teaching, I did that between undergraduate and grad school. But it's the wrong time of year. Also think out of the box, I'm assuming you don't have children, this is the time you should be looking to move out of the state or even out of the country for a while while you don't have responsibilities.
Maybe you're in this position because the universe is trying to tell you it's time to spread your wings.

What will be your major in grad school? Not chemistry I hope?

My job search is definitely nationwide within reason. I would actually prefer to relocate.

Graduate major will be neuroscience. 
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

yes mam

I was going to suggest looking into substitute teaching, I did that between undergraduate and grad school. But it's the wrong time of year. Also think out of the box, I'm assuming you don't have children, this is the time you should be looking to move out of the state or even out of the country for a while while you don't have responsibilities.
Maybe you're in this position because the universe is trying to tell you it's time to spread your wings.

What will be your major in grad school? Not chemistry I hope?
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Only you know how much more you can take before going postal on their asses. It's always better to have a job to get a job but do what you have to do to preserve your sanity.
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Go with your gut. Just make sure you'll be able to support yourself still until you find another job if you do quit.
both of these. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2014 at 4:25pm

yes mam
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21