It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
sbrooke View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 5:58pm
I'm determined to learn how to self install. My mother's the type that would rather spend her 300 dollars for someone to do a sew in rather than doing it herself. Me, I want to learn to do it myself, I want to learn to layer hair as well. My mother calls me cheap, I don't get it, weird thing is she'll complain about my sewins being to expensive. Contradicition right??
Anyways I want to learn to do my own sew in.
Sponsored Links

weavequeen83 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2009 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by sbrooke sbrooke wrote:

I'm determined to learn how to self install. My mother's the type that would rather spend her 300 dollars for someone to do a sew in rather than doing it herself. Me, I want to learn to do it myself, I want to learn to layer hair as well. My mother calls me cheap, I don't get it, weird thing is she'll complain about my sewins being to expensive. Contradicition right??
Anyways I want to learn to do my own sew in.

I'm glad you are determined!  I swear I wish I would have started this a long time ago.  I've been doing my hair going on 3 years and a year of that has been sew-ins.  Its stress free and I know exactly how I want my hair and thats what I get!

Also, as you continue to do your installs you will learn and get better at it with every install!  I'm at a point where once I braid down my own hair, i plop myself infront of my TV with my hair and go to work.

And your not cheap at all for wanting to do this.  Its a very SMART thing to learn how to do!

Doing my own sew-ins is also a way to justify to myself the amount of money I spend on hair LOL...if hubby only knew, lol
SpoiledSpicy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2011 at 3:44pm

I jumped right in. I also was tired of spending nearly $100 for hair, $200 for install, etc. I knew it wasn't as hard as they make it seem. Hardest thing to learn is the braiding...after you master that, everything becomes easy. Watch YOUTUBE! That's how I learned!

Now of course, for all people who want to learn to sell-install PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not start off by using your beloved virgin hair...head right over to the BSS and purchase some cheap synthetic hair lol and get to work....I'm in college so this is super cost-efficient for me. The money I would use spending on someone to do my hair I use to buy more hair :) Practice makes perfect. A lot of people have come up to me and asked who did my hair...now this upcoming semester I'm about to do hair on the side for a nice little bit of college change lol

blkbuttafly View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2011 at 6:46pm
good for you! 

I don't know how to cornrow, but I just learned how to 2 strand flat twist from youtube. Once I've perfected the 2 strand twist on my head, I'm going to master the cornrows and then do my own installs. 

yay!
MinnieP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2011 at 7:28pm
i just tried a few times and just started using a foam head and a weaving cap to sew on. i put the cap on the head, sew all the hair on it, make a perimeter bread on my own head, then sew it all on. super easy. takes a while the first try, but its a breeze when u get the hang of it. and taking it down is so easy since the only thing sewn on is the perimeter.
lovelife View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2011 at 9:44pm
I dived in on myself.
i practiced cornrows.
i had a semi ok base my 1st time & used a net on top.
sewing is easier for me than braiding.
i would say do research on braid base/patterns
& take it from there.
Good luck!
Remyhair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 4:26am
If i were you,i will search in Youtube,find some self-install teaching vedio,this really helpful^^
queenkc View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 1:27pm
My suggestion to you would be to skip weaves and start with making a wig/ quick weave. I've always been a do-it-yourselfer so it was easy for me to start self installing. And usually i can do something after i've seen it done. I used to braid hair but never could french braid and after a few tries when my friend could no longer braid my base i have started to track myself. I have been making wigs (sewing my hair onto a net) for a year now and i will never go back to a regular weave. I spend 4-8 hours on 1 or 2 days and i can have a fresh weave whenever i want until the hair is no longer in good condition. I have 2 small braids around my leave out and 2 other small braids going around the perimeter of my head and the rest are bigger and going back. It takes me 10-15 minutes to sew it on only around the perimeter. You can make some with closures and some the U part and switch often as you like faster than sitting to get a new weave.

You will have to start your research all over and hit up the handmade wig threads. Check out xxtheislandbeauty's you tube channel. This method has made weave wearing so much better for me and made it easier for me to get to and take care of my natural hair. ( i can take it off wash and get it back on in a short time) i do this every 2 weeks. Hope this helps
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic