Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question to the self-installers
    Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 11:46am
Hey ladies, i want to try to self install and i need an opinion..
Okay so i am so tired of sitting in the house, waiting til i get the $275 for my next install and i have been wanting to self-install for a while now, i just didnt think i would decide to do it so soon.. but this seems like the best time to learn how to do something while i am out of school, jobless, boyfriendless, etc..

Okay so my question is do you think i should just dive right in and try to install? or do you think i should buy one of those little heads and try a few installs on that first

I have NO weaving experience whatsoever.. i dont even really know how to cornrow im going to have my grandma do that.. I will eventually buy one of those heads to learn how to cornrow but for right now do you think i should bother with that? Do you think its necessary? i need an install like RIGHT NOW (well really a month ago) but i dont want to just attempt and it come out looking a mess..

When you first self-installed did you practice on a mannqeuin, friends head, or just did your own?

What do you recommend for a newb like myself? it doesnt seem hard.. just time consuming.

Oh yea, the install im going for is mostly a full weave with closure, i wanted full bangs and also to leave out a little bit of hair in the back for a pony.. is that difficult? Should i try to start off with a more simple style? Any and all opinions are appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links

weavequeen83 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 11:55am

I just jumped on in and started self-installing on myself.  If you know how to braid, and you have a good idea of how to sew it on by watching it  being done in the salon or on youtube videos, its really not that hard.

Also, even though having a mannequin head is good practice to get to know how to sew-in hair, its still not the same as doing it on yourself, just due to the fact that your arms are constantly up and for the most part, you are 'feeling' your way around your head instead being able to see everything that your doing with a mannequin head.

HTH

Edited by weavequeen83 - Dec 28 2009 at 12:01pm
FloStar View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 11:58am
I dived in and did it
It was my first time
I was in university at the time.. Broke and needed to do my hair
I did a little research from here though and I saw some braid patterns and copied it
Now I know where I went wrong what to do next time.
I'm doing my own hair again January.
It's a fun experience because it seems you can only get better everytime.
Also, prior to my self-install I've done a few weaves for friends and family so I knew how to do it already.

It's harder on your own head though.

I think you should go for it..
Go on YouTube and do more research on how to conrnrow
Once you've got that down you'll be good.

The sewing part is the easiest to me
If anything, ask a friend to do your cornrows and then you can do the sewing.

Just sit down one day (start early) and just do it.. You'll be surprised.
To me, the weave I did on my own head was one of the most natural looking one I'd ever had on my head

Good luck!Thumbs%20Up

Edited by FloStar - Dec 28 2009 at 11:59am
YoursTruly View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 12:28pm
Girl I dove right on in...I figured the best way to know if I had "the skills" was if I did it ON ME and liked it. I can't cornrow to save a life, so I pay about $25 at a braiding shop (I just take them or show them a pic of the braid pattern I want for that particular install). Then I go home and sew my hair in.

So try it on yourself first!!! Save that $275! You can use that to buy more hair...LOLEmbarrassed
DivaMelody View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 12:30pm
I used youtube and this board to help me.  I had to practice with the cornrows but for the most part I dived right in.  The mannekin head is good to practice but most have silky hair and it IS NOT the same as doing your own hair at all !!! .   Just jump in and do it . Its not hard. My first style was BoBraz with a middle part which is almost fail proof.  Ic ant help with the closure as that is a bit more involved. And full weave Is till dont know  BUT good luck !!
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 1:11pm
I say get your cornrows done (small/firm/flat/stitched) and then start sewing.  I haven't self installed because I am readjusting my priorities but plan to early next year.  I'm taking a weave break (getting a BKT) to get in touch with my natural hair/maintenance and then back to weaves.  Shonda Dee has a good video that shows how to sew around the wefts and also how to knot the ends for security.  I haven't done it(yet) but it helps me understand what I need to do.
DIVA007 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 1:37pm
You have to get your hands wet at some point... ain't no time like the present --> go for it!
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by DIVA007 DIVA007 wrote:

You have to get your hands wet at some point... ain't no time like the present --> go for it!

This!! I dove right in and it came out pretty good, but I choose not to self install because I am LAZY!!LOLLOL And for some reason patience is not my thing!! Go for it. If you don't like it learn from your mistakes and try again. It's free!
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 2:12pm
i self install and i just dove right in, use cheap hair and get some headbands for the first couple of tries till you get it right. good luck!
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 2:13pm
oh and i have a mannequin and in my opinion using it wont help much as it's a totally different feeling doing your hair vs. someone else IMO.

Edited by melikey - Dec 28 2009 at 2:14pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic