Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
K.U.R.E View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 1:04am
Mas-

Supposedly, Lonette Mckee was supposed to play Queen instead of Alice. But Halle was given the role instead.

Edited by K.U.R.E - Feb 10 2009 at 1:05am
Sponsored Links

KinkyCurly2.0 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 1:30am
 Im my town about 50-60% of the "black" kids are mixed with something; most have a Pacific Islander , Asian, White or Latino parent or grandparent. Majority of the white kids have a latino, portugese/italian or asian parent or grandparent, some have a "black" parent or grandparent (most of the time the parents are mixed themselves.)

[this is what happens when you put a military base in the bay area; everyone is a free for all when it comes to making kids Tongue

Most kids are judged racial by how they look, most people tan here so skin color isn't an issue; most girls have curly or wavy hair so again thats not an issue. So it comes to features; most have "white" features and therefore are treated as white even though they my have a parent/gradnparents of color. Its weird though, there are some really racist people at my school but their asses are like 1/2 mexican or 1/4 Japanese  Confused

Passing really isn't a big deal its just the way it is for people and no one bats an eyelash. I think its weird really but it makes since, your race is based on the way you look; it simplifies things when everyone damn near is a mix.
Tangie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 5:02am
Originally posted by jazzired jazzired wrote:

Nevermind I just rememebered Jael

Sorry but she could pass. 

HOLD UP!!!! SHE'S half black???? I didn't know that.Shocked
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 6:40am
Fredi Washington from "Imitation of Life"

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/USAwhiteWF.jpg
Walter Francis White-- NAACP

http://pjnet.org/wp-content/uploads/legacy/AEJMC_Conf_Brooke_Kroeger.jpg
Author Brooke Kroeger
daughter of a white woman and black man,
Brooks describes herself as a biracial person with a white appearance

QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 6:54am
Danzy Senna
Mother--White
Father-- Black Mexican
Identifies as black
http://www.eyeonbooks.com/gallery/senna.jpg

Dr. Edward J. Hale chose to follow the example of his parents, accomplished educators Harriet and William J. Hale. Edward Hale "adored and respected" his father. The proud son says, "He chose to remain black. He got to be a college president.

Hale had come from a family that had accomplished much by living as black people.  His goal was to do the same.His mother, a graduate of Fisk University, headed up the business department at Tennessee State. She, too, was fair enough to pass, as were Hale's siblings.

His sister, who earned a master's in French from Columbia University, married a man who could not pass, Hale said.  "But they had a very positive marriage as black, and they lived happily," he added.

His brother "used to float back and forth between being white and being black," he said. "He did that for work."

Why didn't Hale? "I chose black because I have a black identity. I grew up in an era where we pushed Negro as being capitalized," he said. "We had a heritage, and it was something important."

Wendell Freeland, a Squirrel Hill lawyer and civil rights activist, never considered passing as white, although he witnessed others passing to get into barred theaters or stores. "That was just casual passing," Freeland says. "I knew people who crossed over."

Freeland recalls his daughter saying to him, "You've got nothing to complain about; you could have [lived as] white."   Theoretically, yes. Freeland says he can fool even those black people who swear they can detect another black, no matter how fair. "I never thought about it," said the 78-year-old attorney. "My family ties were so great." 

He remembers years ago that a high school friend was visiting Pittsburgh and looked him up. Freeland invited the friend to visit him at his office, which at that time was Jones, Smith and Freeland. But the friend did not want to come by until late evening. "I was a Negro, and he was a Negro, and he was passing for white, and he didn't want to be seen with me," Freeland said. "That probably happens to many Negroes who pass, and I don't know how they can stand it."

tantoine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 7:16am
I remember reading that book by Danzy Senza. It's my favorite. She passed as Jewish.
jazzired View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 8:01am
Last one.  I just remembered...

Slash from Guns and Roses.  Slash%20performing%20in%202008

Edited by jazzired - Feb 10 2009 at 8:03am
Starrygurl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 8:23am
O nvm I taught you meant the old movie Queenie..
UrbanElegance View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 9:38am
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Ok, it must be that time Black History Month and all. Showtime is showing a movie called The Feast of All Saints which is about a creole boy in 1840's Louisiana trying to trace his past.

I'd never seen this before.

Feast of All Saints is a GREAT movie.

Also, a phenominal book that touches on the issue of passing is called Cain River. That book will make you cry. It was so good that I did not want it to end!!
joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2009 at 9:53am
I didn't know that Soledad's mom was Afro-Cuban. I knew that she was Cuban though. She looks Latina to me.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 19>
  Share Topic