Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives > Talk Archives 2008
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Quadroon Balls–America’s Fascination w/ Mixed Race
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Forum LockedQuadroon Balls–America’s Fascination w/ Mixed Race

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
JulieGianni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quadroon Balls–America’s Fascination w/ Mixed Race
    Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 4:12pm

Something I stumbled across online.

The Quadroon Balls – America’s Fascination with Mixed Race

The term quadroon is a fractional one referring to a person with one white and one mulatto parent, someone courts would have considered one-fourth Black.  The quadroon balls were social events designed to encourage “mixed-race women to form liaisons with wealthy white men through a system of concubinage known as plaçage” (Guillory 68-9).  The history of the balls epitomizes White America’s fascination with light-skinned individuals of mixed race.  It is a fascination that can seem condescending, pernicious, and even sordid.  Monique Guillory writes about quadroon balls that took place in New Orleans, the city most strongly associated with these events.  She approaches the balls in context of the history of a building – the structure that is now the Bourbon Orleans Hotel.  Inside is the Orleans Ballroom, a legendary, if not entirely factual, location for the earliest quadroon balls. 

In 1805, a man named Albert Tessier began renting a dance hall where he threw twice weekly dances “for free quadroon women and white men only” (80).  These dances were elegant and elaborate, designed to appeal to wealthy white men.  Although race mixing was prohibited by New Orleans law, it was common for white gentleman to attend the balls, sometimes stealing away from white balls to mingle with the city’s quadroon beauties.  “The principal desire of quadroon women attending these balls was to become plaçee as the mistress of a wealthy gentleman, usually a young white Creole or a visiting European” (81).  These arrangements were a common occurrence, Guillory suggests, because the beautiful, highly educated, socially refined quadroons were prohibited from marrying white men and were unlikely to find Black men of their own status. 

A quadroon’s mother usually negotiated with an admirer the compensation that would be received for having the woman as his mistress.  Typical terms included some financial payment to the parent, financial and/or housing arrangements for the quadroon herself, and, many times, paternal recognition of any children the union produced.  Guillory points out that some of these matches were as enduring and exclusive as marriages.  A beloved quadroon mistress had the power to destabilize white marriages and families, something she was much resented for. 

The system of plaçage demands consideration of economic implications of mixed race.  “The plaçage of black women with white lovers,” Guillory writes, “could take place only because of the socially determined value of their light skin, the same light skin that commanded a higher price on the slave block, where light skinned girls were bid for at prices much higher than those offered for prime field hands” (82).  Guillory posits the quadroon balls as the best among severely limited options for these near-white women, a way for them to control their sexuality and decide the price of their own bodies.  She contends, “The most a mulatto mother and a quadroon daughter could hope to attain in the rigid confines of the black/white world was some semblance of economic independence and social distinction from the slaves and other blacks” (83).  She notes that many participants in the balls were successful in actual businesses when they could no longer rely on an income from the plaçage system.  She speculates they developed business acumen from the process of marketing their own bodies.

Sponsored Links

ccluvsau View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 4:18pm
Take your pic folks:

JulieGianni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by ccluvsau ccluvsau wrote:

Take your pic folks:

Honestly though, I read it and the first thing that came to mind was:

BEYONCE
ccluvsau View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 4:22pm
^^^^LOL
LiberianQueen83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 4:25pm
lol CC

That is interesting though.  I've actually heard of them before because my mother-in-law is a quadroon and she did a research paper on the New Orlean's quadroon balls in the 19th century.

That said i dunno which way this thread's gonna go! lol
BlackstarBlue View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 4:26pm
I remmeber reading about this in school, fascinating. The few quadroons/quarter-caste ( no offence) people either "become" white- ( but imo if you look white and your mostly white. Your white) or hate white people ( i went on a date with a bitter bitter quarter caste guy)
Haitienne Pearl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 5:38pm
Never though such thing existed in United States too but when I read Louisiana, I kinda understood. Louisiana share a LOT of similarities with Haiti on many, many aspects (language, religion, history etc...) and as in a lot of French colonies (it was there but less relevant in the British ones), the skin color is a major issue that can really determine your financial wealth.....

Now questions:

1. Is Mariah Carey an example of a quadroon?

2. If someone is 3/4 Black and 1/4 White is this person considered a quadroon too?

Edited by Haitienne Pearl - Apr 09 2008 at 5:39pm
Sparkling Bliss View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 5:40pm
DUCK EVERYBODY!
Lick3Shots View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 5:51pm
This is interesting.

Would anyone happen to know what they called people who were a quarter black, but the other 3/4 wasn't just white? Say, one parent was half-black and Cherokee, and the other parent was half-white and Seminole.
Pandora View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2008 at 5:54pm

This topic brings up so many weird memories for me. My fathers family is from Louisiana and was involoved in all of that stuff. I remeber in 7th grade when we were talking about it in a Social studies class and i corrected the teacher about somethings she  said. Later said infront of the class she says " That is why Pandora's father looks like that and she has some certain features. This is why when we did the family trees she had many dark relatives with light eyes and caucasian like hair and many relatives that are caucasian"

Needless to say say my daddy came up to school and she was gone by the end of the week.

Edited by Pandora - Apr 09 2008 at 5:56pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style