Perfect Hair Collection

Topic ClosedProtein Conditioners

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Mocha1111 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protein Conditioners
    Posted: Feb 05 2004 at 9:35am
Ok...How can you tell if your conditioner is a protein conditioner?  Is there a certain ingredient you need to look for or is it just specified on the bottle?  I don't recall seeing one for black hair.  I've been reading a lot about them on this forum and that you should only do them once a month to prevent buildup or drying but could someone give examples of protein conditioners or what brand you use...Thanks!! 
Sponsored Links

Canadian_Dime View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2004 at 9:45am

I only use protein once a month, but this is the post I resd on LCHF on the isuse:

I've noticed on some of the threads, there seems to be some confusion and misconceptions about protein in hair products. I've noticed that some think that the use of (overuse) of) any protein is bad for the hair.

But the only protein that we really want to avoid over doing it with is Keratin. Also, sometimes "Hydrolyzed Animal Protein" appears in the ingredient list & this is one that we also do not want to overuse. Keratin is the protein naturally found in hair so when we use a hair product with Keratin, it adds structure & strength to our hair. It does this by hardening (strengthening) the hair to a degree. This is why we moisturize after strong protein treatments It is said that overuse of a protein conditioner can cause the hair to become dry and brittle. If it is Keratin, this is true--BUT...

There are even protein conditioners with Keratin in them that are safe for weekly use-IF YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS (K-Pak & Keraphix are 2 that come to mind) Humectress has Keratin and is safe for use DAILY. The old formula of Mizani Moisturefuse had keratin protein in it & I used it faithfully(weekly) in college & my hair thrived thrived thrived!!!!!!!! ( and I was still using quite a bit of heat during this time)

The other proteins we encounter in hair products besides keratin are not naturally found in the hair but are beneficial to the hair. I won't go into detail (we have a thread about all of it) but these proteins are moisturizing, shining, smoothing, elastic, etc. proteins. Proteins from "starchy" sources also offer mild structuring (examples: wheat & rice protein)

The strong protein conditioners (that I can think of) that would be detrimental with overuse would be INTENSE treatments such as DRC 28, Aphogee, & Emergencee.

"Over the counter" products for everyday use that contain protein are not dangerous to your hair. If they were--they would not be sold over the counter OR the directions would explicitly tell you to only use the products every so many days. (examples: Profectiv break-free& healthy ends, ORS Carrot Cream)

So in conclusion, don't fret about protein. Don't be paranoid that every little protein is bad. Don't be like "ooo, protein!" and shake like they did on Lion King to "ooo Mufasa--say it again! Mufasa!" In fact--if you are relaxed, you betta get some protein up in that mane of yours. If you want your ends to stay thick and healthy for longer periods of time--protein is key to your hair's diet. If you use any drip-drop of heat EVA(ever) in your hair, get some protein.

Mocha1111 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2004 at 9:49am
Thank you sooo much!!!!  This was very good information. You answered all of my questions Canadian. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 05 2004 at 10:00am

I just found the info, I didn't put it together.  I had the same questions too when I stumbbled accross the thread on LHCF...anyhow glad to help.

olcow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2004 at 3:49am

IS INFUSIUM 23 ONE OF THE SAFE DAILY PROTEIN THAT CAN BE USED

OLCOW

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2004 at 5:58am
I wasn't aware that Infusium 23 had protein in it... what are the ingredients?
Toscaoneday View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 30 2004 at 9:11am

CD

Thank you so much for sharing that post. I was wondering about that too. I was shying away from using cholesterol conditioners because I thought they might be detrimental...till I tried adding it to my regimen once a week. My hair feels soooo much stronger already. I guess it makes sense: relaxed hair in particular will benefit greatly from protein. But too much of ANYTHING can be bad, so it's all about moderation.

Anyway, thanks again

olcow View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2004 at 1:31am

Canadian_Dime

I am not sure about the protein , I am new to all of this.

But some of the following ingredients are listed:

steatic acid,

palmic acid,

linoleic acid,

celice acid,

glutmac acid

( spelling may not be correct on all of these)

are these some type of amino acids?,

please let me know

thanks,

olcow

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training