Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Protective Styles Causing Breakage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
darlinnic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darlinnic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 2:01am
OP how are you protective styling?
Wigs, weaves, braids, wet bunning???
Sponsored Links

melody4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melody4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Amillion Amillion wrote:

Maybe its your method of protective styling that's causing the problem.  Consider an alternative for you. What may work for one may not work for another.

Yeah, this could be the probably but I feel Like i've tried everything. What has worked for you? I've done mini twist (I get tons of breakage with those) I though wearing a high bun with marly hair was working for me until recently I noticed that the crown of my head was ratchet when I stopped wearing that. *Kanye Shrug*
melody4u View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melody4u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 9:19am
Originally posted by darlinnic darlinnic wrote:

OP how are you protective styling?
Wigs, weaves, braids, wet bunning???

I've done everything except for wearing extensions, whether it be twists or braids. No weaves though I am itching to get one. lol I think because of my hair length maybe my ends dont "hide" well so they are getting caught by bands and bobby pins. My hair when stretched is collar bone length in the back but pretty short everywhere else.
bweave_itn08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bweave_itn08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by cmoniquew cmoniquew wrote:

I don't think she is saying the twist-out is her protective style, but that she gets less breakage from a twist-out than when she protective style.
ohhh ok.. thanks I understand now..
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 6:29pm
What products are you using to retain moisture in your hair?  Just curious.
DeniceDoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeniceDoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2012 at 12:29pm
When I protective style I need to make sure that I am taking it down every few days to moisturise my hair (by co-washing). Also I heard that a lot of styles that people think of as protective (e.g. doughnut buns) are not actually doing you any favours because they make your ends dry out and cause tension in your hair. I think the Southern Tease bun is supposed to be a good protective style.

Edited by DeniceDoes - Aug 25 2012 at 12:30pm
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2012 at 2:13pm
My ends do seem dry since Ive been doing donut buns for work.
bebe88 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebe88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 25 2012 at 2:44pm
Ooooooo I love the southern tease bun..I had to google it.
Lightangel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightangel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 3:52pm

For my protective styling are techniques that protects the hair (particularly the ends) from rubbing against clothes, weather, excessive manipulation, etc

My hair does not grow faster with PS’ing, it grows at the same rate unless I’m taking vitamins or applying a topical growth air… but PS'ing helps me retaining length, i.e. reduced breakage.

My options are extension braids and weaves. Tried LF but the laced caused itching around the hairline.

There are loads of PS’ing options, I’m sure you’ll find one suitable for you Smile

Good luck Hug

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style