Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Braids
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pros and Cons of using Synthetic hair for BRAIDS.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedPros and Cons of using Synthetic hair for BRAIDS.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
xxBlackRosexx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pros and Cons of using Synthetic hair for BRAIDS.
    Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 8:01am
Hi,

I want to get some braids, when i get synt hair - its dry when i take it out and i get split ends.

What is the best Synthetic hair for braids

Will waves last if i get deep wave?

Should i soke in vinegar before braiding or will this make the curls loose?

Any other info on synthetic braids ext is helpful

thanksEmbarrassed
Sponsored Links

extendedbeauty1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 9:22am
I've seen beautiful pictures on this board with women wearing sensationnel sybthetic hair. The hair didn't look synthetic. The curls were beautiful.

Right now I am wearing freetress hair. But I've only had it for three days so I can't really give a review. So far the hair looks good. It doesn't look shiny or synthetic. The best part is it's only $6 a pack where I live in B-More.
SlimBeauty View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 9:25am

Personally I'm not a big fan of synthetic hair when using wet and wavy (especially freestress go-go curl).  It always tends to come out looking extremely big.  It also mats very quickly. I had a client w/ that type of hair, that I did last week and I saw her yesterday and her hair looked HUGE.

xxBlackRosexx View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 9:53am
Can you wet the hair? wash it...it will it lose the curls?
lovingthrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 8:10pm
I don't know about curly hair but I use 100% kanekalon hair (24k brand) and it gets the job done. I wash it once a week. I flat iron it and i use hot rollers too. The ends do get a little messed up after a while but I usually cut them or just make sure I brush it every few hours and from my experience it was not different than the human hair I was buying. I was probably buying the wrong kind of hair but I figured if it was human it should at least perform better than synthetic not the same. I have no money to graduated to premium human hair.

With synthetic I think it is especially important to stay moisturized. This brand that I use now isn't too bad with sucking up moisture but the other brand I used (isis wet and wavy) sucked up all the moisture and I didn't realize it until it was too late and my hair ended up dry when I took it down. 

With my 24K brand, I have to flat iron it for the first week because it won't take a curl in its original state. I wasted a couple hours putting hot rollers in my hair.   When I flat iron I use the Redken smooth down serum. When I  curl it I put some mane and tail carrot oil cream and the ends come back to life. I don't use a curling iron (they are probably too hot anyway) I just use the conair hot rollers that heat up in two minutes.

The longest I have left the hair in was 6 weeks.

Also, I soaked wet and wavy hair in vinegar and it goes back to normal.

I am actually braiding my hair tonight. I never put pictures in my fotki but I will try to this time. It  most likely won't be curly but gives you an idea of what synthetic can do.

so I would say the pros are
1. It's cheap (mine is 3 bucks a pack and generally only use 1 pack)
2. It can be heated if you are careful (which is usually the main reason why my friends get human hair)
3. I dont know this but I have heard this from others. The hair that already comes curly (freetress, batik etc.) requires a little less maintenance than human. It's more likely for your curls to bounce back after a wash.

Cons
1. I personally wouldn't or couldn't wear it for long periods. The only reason why I wore this last one for 6 weeks is because I did not have time to redo it. I do my own hair so it is like a 2 day job to take down, wash, condition and rebraid.   I generally wear the hair for four weeks. 
2. The ends do get a little messy but as I said I had similar problems with some human hair.
3. Some brands just suck up moisture. If you are anything like me, I like things simple and I like to get up and go. I will use braid spray but I don't like to have to saturate it.

All and all I don't think I will ever stop using synthetic.
I say just try to buy one that feels soft and check on here for any reviews.

Yea, that was long but I am an advocate for synthetic :). Just gotta know how to work with it.
trevortni View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2008 at 6:34am

I had my hair braided by Heidi and JoJo's here in Houston and they told me to get "Expressions" bulk (synthetic) hair from the BS next door.  The hair is $8 per bag.  Basically my hair is braided all the way down with the remaining ends left out rather than cut off.  They weren't cut off because this hair looks and feels like human although it is only 100% kanekalon.  I had never heard of it before and evidently you can't buy it everywhere.  I found one website where you can buy it:  http://www.pauls-hair-world.com/default.aspx?s=824&r=874   I've got to pick up a bag or two the next time I'm on that side of town.

hair2day317 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2008 at 4:12pm
I used synthetic hair for my current box braids and I think it's okay, I saturate with braid spray every other day so that it can get to my real hair (got that idea from BHM!). So far it's working out alright.
Icydius View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 17 2008 at 8:30pm
On the topic of synthetic hair, can Outre Batik be curled with a curling iron, flat ironed or rolled with curlers? Thank
Arwai View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2008 at 8:47am
I used Freetress deep twist and it does give you big hair.  But the problem I had, and I'm not sure if it was because of the hair or not, but my hair thinned out when I took the braids down.  But I honestly think that it was because of the lady that did the braids and because I didn't properly take care of it.  Has anyone else experienced thinning with freetress? But either way, you have to take care of your hair. I've learned that over the times that I've had my hair braided. Its bad when you get braids so much damage after you take them out.
lovingthrill View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 18 2008 at 6:39pm
So I said I would try to put up a pic. I don't have pictures of the hair straight. The hair was not cooperating this time. I am not sure what I did different this time. I uploaded a pic to my fotki in the new braids ideas for graduation folder. I dont know why I named the folder it is all random.

http://public.fotki.com/lovingthrill/new-braids/ideas-for-graduation/photo20089171051622.html

As I said not anything ultra glam or birthday hair but def gets the job done. This week I have curled it every other day. The days I don't curl it is still curly but not nice enough to wear out so i just do a side pony tail.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic