Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedProducts that actually stop breakage???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
OhHellNo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Products that actually stop breakage???
    Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 10:30pm
I have finally made it to SL! However, it's really bitter sweet b/c I noticed a lot of breakage in my kitchen area and back left side. I am not cutting my hair anymore so I need a good product that will actually work.

I am using a protein treatment by PhytoSpecific and I moisturize twice a day with Keracare or Nexxus Humectress.

What else can I use that might work?? I'm thinking about Aphogee but I just relaxed. How long should I wait?

Thanks,
OHN
Sponsored Links

DrunkClouds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 10:45pm
Does keracare contain protein because you might be getting too much protein if you do protein treatments every week along with using a protein based creme it might be too much. So look at your routine to make sure you aren't getting too much protein. Are you wearing your hair in certain styles that are causing your hair stress?? Are you using a lot of heat and not deep conditioning enough with a conditioner that does not contain protein?? You may need to cut down on the heat and baby your hair with mositurizers such as neutrogena triple moisture leave in and the Nexxus Humecutress that you are already using that is if you are getting too much protein which may or may not be the case. The products that stop breakage depend on what your hair needs. You might need more moisture while someone else needs monthly protein treatments and a daily moisturizing creme.

Edited by DrunkClouds - Oct 23 2006 at 10:47pm
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2006 at 10:52pm
Do you wear your hair up ??  If not, it is time to do protective styles, quite possibly the material of your clothes can be causing the breakage.  How often do you use the protein treatment??  I know that Keracare has several products, are you using the daily moisturizer with Jojoba ?   You can use Aphogee, one week after a relaxer, but first we should determine whether your hair needs moisture, or you need protein.  I am not familiar with the Phyto protein treatment, I have no idea if it is potent or mild.  When in doubt it is best to err on the side of moisture, then access.  What I would do, condition with the Humectress, and see if the breakage stop.  Because, if you did a protein treatment, say a week before you relax, and then the day you relaxed.  IMO, I think that it would be time for a moisture treatment.

If your hair is feeling soft, mushy then you need protein.  If it is feeling hard, dry, then you need moisture.  I am going to post a link here for you to read about hair breakage, and I hope that it will help.  Sometimes, it is hard to determine what a person need, without knowing their regimen.  I will be around for awhile, I will check back and maybe someone will also give their opinion.

Edited by Claudie - Oct 23 2006 at 11:16pm
OhHellNo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2006 at 1:33pm

Hi. Thank you both for responding. I usually wear my hair down (when it's freshly relaxed), in a ponytail, or I set it with bantu knots. Yes, I use the Keracare with Jajoba Oil. Does that have protein? I'm thinking about using something else b/c it has mineral oil and petro in the top ingrediants. Arggg...this is so frustrating. I've tried to wet assess my hair but I guess I don't get it. I will try again on my next wash.

This is my current regimen:

Shampoo (once/wk) with Keracare Hydrating Shampoo

Con: Keracare Humecto and Nexxus Humectress (no heat for one hour)

Leave in: Nexxus Humectress

I also moisturize twice a day with Keracare with Jajoba Oil or Humectress and Keracare Essential Oils to seal.

When I have a lot of new growth, I co-wash once a week. Lately, I've been playing around with different conditioners to see which one works the best.

As far as protein, I was using Keraphix, but my hair doesn't really respond to it. I used the PhytoSpecific Intense Nutrition Mask the other day. I was told I could use it every week. I don't use a lot of heat. Maybe once or twice a week, I will quickly go through my hair with the flat iron to remove creases or to curl the end of my ponytail. My iron is ceramic. I also airdry after I shampoo.

Where can I find the donut thingy to make a bun?????

Edited by OhHellNo - Oct 24 2006 at 1:40pm
havilland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2006 at 2:03pm
you can get the donut at the beauty supply store.

for your breakage - have you ever tried CAT treatment by Redken?

when my hair was broken like crazy a few years back, i did CAT treatment as directed on the bottle....followed by humectress with heat for 20 minutes.

Click to enlarge

it worked and my hair was great about 2-3 months later.  i mean it had broken off in the back.  my hair was neck length and i had to rock the asymetrical bob for a minute to make it look more even, but it still looked jacked up.  ( i got a super relaxer and it was way too strong) 

anyway, they sell CAT at  Trade Secret.  and it is similar to Aphoghee, but it does not get hard and you can do it after a fresh relaxer.  actually that is the best time to use it.  i did it every week for about 3 months until my hair didn't snap during a strand test.  i had better success with that treament than Emergencee by Nexxuss or Aphoghee.  and i tried both.

HTHSmile
Reservechic View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2006 at 2:21pm
1.Using a sulfate-free shampoo-Creme of Nature's Professional Detangling Shampoo(is recommended) 

2.Limiting protein treatments in your hair to only once a month-ORS Hair Mayonnaise (is recommmended)

3.Wearing your hair in a protective style, if need be-Buns, braids, twists

4Avoiding using direct heat on your hair, such as from a flat iron, curling, iron, hot comb, or blowdryer. 

5.Regular scalp massages

6.Drink a lot of water, preferably 8 glasses a day if you can

7.Take a multivitamin daily.

8. Using a deep conditioner in your hair on a weekly basis after washing it-Silk Elements MegaSik Moisturizing Treatment(is recommended)

Edited by Reservechic - Oct 25 2006 at 10:41pm
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2006 at 2:41pm

Hi OhHellNo, you might want to use a clarifying shampoo, and follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner.  I would go with the Humecto.  I also use keracare products, and I am not crazy about the moisturizer with the Jojoba Oil.  I think that you will see a difference after you clarify.  Are you mixing the Humecto with the Humectress when you condition your hair??  I think that you should not mix them together, although the both of them are great moisturizers.  One trick I have found with relaxed hair, that for the first two weeks an oil based moisturizer is best.  You also might want to try moisturizing once per day,, or use less product.  Because too many products can weigh the hair down, and cause breakage.  I would leave the Humectress alone, as far as using it as a daily moisturizer.

I checked into the Phytospecific Mask, it is a good protein product.  I honestly do not believe that your hair is protein deficient.  Do the above, and see what happens.  I think that should take care of your problem.  I would also leave the flatiron alone, or if you use it infrequent, make sure that you are using a good heat protectant.

The CAT Protein treatment by Redken is excellent, it is a very potent protein product.  You might want to use it at a later time, but I do believe that you need moisture, more so than anything now.  I would aso advice you that people might say to do a protein treatment each week.  That does not work, it is one treatment that cannot be scheduled.  Unless, it is the before and after for relaxers.  It is best to access your hair, then use a protein product.  Some people can go for two weeks or more without a protein treatment.  In a cold climate, hair requires moisture now, more so than anything.

I would also encourage you to start keeping your hair up.  You are at that point with your hair been at SL,  you need to keep it up.  I think that you will be okay.  As far as NTM Silk Touch Leave In, alot of us are moving away from it.  Because, it is great the first day, then on the second day our hair is dry and brittle.  You might want to try EQP Recovery, it is excellent.  It contains mineral oil and petroleum, as long as you keep it off your scalp you will be fine.  If you are in a cold climate, you might want to occasionally use some grease to seal your hair Wink.  That is solving alot of issues with breaking and shedding.  I tested it this morning, and it did work.  You might want to consider using the baggie method at nights, that will allow you to not lose the length that you have gained.  Also, make sure that you wrap the donut bun with a piece of silk or satin cloth, or you can use a black knee high, HTH.

Edited by Claudie - Oct 24 2006 at 2:47pm
OhHellNo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2006 at 6:53pm
^^^ Thanks everyone. I just bought some ORS Oil Moisurizing Hair Lotion and some NTM Daily Deep Conditioner. I plan on using the ORS instead of the Keracare w/ Jojoba and I will add the NTM to my Humecto. I'm not flat ironing or wrapping anymore (as of today). I will buy my bun tomorrow.
Claudie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2006 at 3:30pm
I think that you made some good choices Smile.
Moodyma'am View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2006 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Claudie Claudie wrote:

Hi OhHellNo, you might want to use a clarifying shampoo, and follow-up with a moisturizing conditioner.  I would go with the Humecto.  I also use keracare products, and I am not crazy about the moisturizer with the Jojoba Oil.  I think that you will see a difference after you clarify.  Are you mixing the Humecto with the Humectress when you condition your hair??  I think that you should not mix them together, although the both of them are great moisturizers.  One trick I have found with relaxed hair, that for the first two weeks an oil based moisturizer is best.  You also might want to try moisturizing once per day,, or use less product.  Because too many products can weigh the hair down, and cause breakage.  I would leave the Humectress alone, as far as using it as a daily moisturizer.

I checked into the Phytospecific Mask, it is a good protein product.  I honestly do not believe that your hair is protein deficient.  Do the above, and see what happens.  I think that should take care of your problem.  I would also leave the flatiron alone, or if you use it infrequent, make sure that you are using a good heat protectant.

The CAT Protein treatment by Redken is excellent, it is a very potent protein product.  You might want to use it at a later time, but I do believe that you need moisture, more so than anything now.  I would aso advice you that people might say to do a protein treatment each week.  That does not work, it is one treatment that cannot be scheduled.  Unless, it is the before and after for relaxers.  It is best to access your hair, then use a protein product.  Some people can go for two weeks or more without a protein treatment.  In a cold climate, hair requires moisture now, more so than anything.

I would also encourage you to start keeping your hair up.  You are at that point with your hair been at SL,  you need to keep it up.  I think that you will be okay.  As far as NTM Silk Touch Leave In, alot of us are moving away from it.  Because, it is great the first day, then on the second day our hair is dry and brittle.  You might want to try EQP Recovery, it is excellent.  It contains mineral oil and petroleum, as long as you keep it off your scalp you will be fine.  If you are in a cold climate, you might want to occasionally use some grease to seal your hair Wink.  That is solving alot of issues with breaking and shedding.  I tested it this morning, and it did work.  You might want to consider using the baggie method at nights, that will allow you to not lose the length that you have gained.  Also, make sure that you wrap the donut bun with a piece of silk or satin cloth, or you can use a black knee high, HTH.

Claudie - thanks for posting  that - I'm retaining the knowledgeThumbs Up

• too many products can weigh the hair down, and cause breakage.does that mean loading the hair up & pulled back into a bun may be doing more harm than good?
  • In a cold climate, hair requires moisture now, more so than anything.
  • in a cold climate, you might want to occasionally use some grease to seal your hair.  

- the UK is freezing right now  & raining like crazyCry

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic