Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Lace Fronts (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problems with glue pulling out hairline

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Aphelion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphelion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems with glue pulling out hairline
    Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 5:25pm
I have been attempting to apply my wig  for a month now.

- I tried to apply it first and ended up putting glue on my side burn part near my ears, on the hair, and part of it was on my hairline at the top. Obviously when I removed it, it was hell and pulled out some of my edges and hurt. And, a week later, I still couldnt get the glue out of my hair! 

-I then tried applying slightly it further forward and it didn't look as real, it was too far forward (the hairline is too unnatural, doesn't get thinner at the temples at all etc
(I tried tweezing at the temples yesterday and the hair just kept breaking off before the knot! and I was almost tearing the lace) 
and when I removed it from in front of my hairline the glue still managed to get into my hair because it doesn't come off it just gets slightly softer and slides into my hairline and I have a line of glue still on my head.

-The side parts of the hair at the sideburns at the top of my ear, they're always sitting on top of my natural hair there because that's where they sit on my head and I cant stretch them down further. So I have to apply glue to that part of my hair to attach my wig.

I am using oil resistant white glue (keeps lifting only at the top of hairline and always at the bottom side burn parts)
To remove I use rubbing alcohol, all the glue stays on my skin which is good 
but then I can't get it off for days! or a week! I use the rubbing alcohol and baby oil and it ends up in my hair and pulling out my hair =(

Should I buy a bigger wig next time? maybe its too small? (it doesnt have stretch lace)
Use less glue? 
Buy some lace release or use a different removal method?
Gel my hairline back so that it doesnt get in the way and get stuck to the glue?
Attach a different way?

I feel like Ive tried further forward, further back, but I manage to pull out my hair or get glue in my hair when trying to remove the glue from my head. And the sides always sit on the side burn parts of my hair! so I have to put glue on it. I want to wear wigs to protect my thinning hair from extensions and Im damaging it.

Edited by Aphelion - Jun 24 2013 at 5:34pm
Sponsored Links

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 5:30pm
I really don't think people are using adhesives anymore. I more safer and quicker approach is the tootsie method with a dab of got2be gel at the edges of the lace. It washes off with water and very easy to apply. If you want a longer hold then you can add the freeze spray underneath. I take my wigs off even night but it will save your edges and hairline in the long run.
KittenWhip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KittenWhip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2013 at 9:51pm
If you, like me, prefer adhesives (I skate so I need a super-solid hold), might I suggest a band across your hairline (think store brand self-stick ace bandage type).  You can darken it with makeup.  Or, to make sure the glue doesn't get in your hair, try Roberts Diamond Protection.  You apply it to your hair, especially the edges and front hairline, and it washes out with soap and water.  It provides a protective "shell" so the glue won't stick.

To take off your unit, spray some lace release, or oil sheen spray to loosen it.  Then you should be able to use alcohol to get the unit off.  Spray more spray on your hair/skin after the unit is off.  If you're using Roberts Diamond Protection, soak your hair with water, add shampoo and the rest of the glue residue should wash away.

Good luck!
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2013 at 4:47pm
Umm I hate to say it but these units are not for everyone. Unhappy

I think I have identified a few things from your text.

- first off do NOT apply the glue to your hair! These adhesives are designed on be used on skin not hair. If you are applying the glue to your EDGES and it sounds like you are applying a lot of glue if it's making that kind of mess to remove it. This is a no, no. Wow, I don't care how carefully you remove it with solvent .. the glue and or the solvent is gonna dry out etc your hair and week after week of this will led to breakage for sure. Keep your natural hair free of any glue whatsoever!

I have been wearing these units every day (except when I am crashing for the weekend and not leaving the house! hee hee!) for almost 6 years and I have had NO HAIR loss around my perimeter. Not one hair. My hairline looks as full as it has always looked. 

I apply the unit to my SKIN  (using a skin protectant against the adhesive) using TAPE to adhere the unit to my head though. It will stay tight for a good week EXCEPT when I work up a good sweat from dancing. What I do is after I stop for the evening .. give my head some time without moving the unit and when the head dries out .. smack! The tape is tight again. Wink

So I use the tape to hold the unit on and a BIT of glue around the edges to get the short baby hairs to lay down. That way I can wear the hair behind my ears showing the edges. Removal? I can spray a BIT of C22 and a couple of minutes later .. just peeeel the unit off. Hardly any glue residue remains on the unit so .. cleanup takes me about 2 minutes. I will have some glue/residue on my head .. but I spray so C22 on my skin and in a few minutes .. that can be tissued off. That's the WORSE of the cleanup I deal with.

- Next thing it sounds like your hairline is fairly low or/and fairly uneven. Maybe even your side burns are also low? That's why I said these units are not for everyone because if you have this kind of hairline - when you bring the unit forward to avoid your hair and glue/tape it down ... it will look kind of unreal like a Planet of the Apes low hair line. Not to say yours is that low .... :) I am just making a point that if your hairline is too low or uneven .. this will be a problem.

To get the hair fropm the unit out of the way when I apply the unit, I use hair clips to clips the unit hair back out of the way so that the hair does not get caught in the tape/glue. It takes practice. When i first started it took me about 3 hours to apply the unit but now it takes about 15 minutes to apply the unit - so you have to practice.

I don't have a high forehead like Tyra but I do have a fairly ample hairline so the taped unit does not go down very far at all.

I think the only way around this ... though it might be a bit wiggy looking .. is to cut in some bangs. This would hide the low hairline.

But for goodness sakes - stay away from the glue IN YOUR HAIR thingy girl! Aside from the mess it makes .. this is asking for trouble for your natural hair! Shocked

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jun 25 2013 at 11:57pm
gloryx7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloryx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 3:57pm
Also...(even though this is a through as you can get) I use the Goo-Gone to loosen and remove any residue.

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

Umm I hate to say it but these units are not for everyone. Unhappy

I think I have identified a few things from your text.

- first off do NOT apply the glue to your hair! These adhesives are designed on be used on skin not hair. If you are applying the glue to your EDGES and it sounds like you are applying a lot of glue if it's making that kind of mess to remove it. This is a no, no. Wow, I don't care how carefully you remove it with solvent .. the glue and or the solvent is gonna dry out etc your hair and week after week of this will led to breakage for sure. Keep your natural hair free of any glue whatsoever!

I have been wearing these units every day (except when I am crashing for the weekend and not leaving the house! hee hee!) for almost 6 years and I have had NO HAIR loss around my perimeter. Not one hair. My hairline looks as full as it has always looked. 

I apply the unit to my SKIN  (using a skin protectant against the adhesive) using TAPE to adhere the unit to my head though. It will stay tight for a good week EXCEPT when I work up a good sweat from dancing. What I do is after I stop for the evening .. give my head some time without moving the unit and when the head dries out .. smack! The tape is tight again. Wink

So I use the tape to hold the unit on and a BIT of glue around the edges to get the short baby hairs to lay down. That way I can wear the hair behind my ears showing the edges. Removal? I can spray a BIT of C22 and a couple of minutes later .. just peeeel the unit off. Hardly any glue residue remains on the unit so .. cleanup takes me about 2 minutes. I will have some glue/residue on my head .. but I spray so C22 on my skin and in a few minutes .. that can be tissued off. That's the WORSE of the cleanup I deal with.

- Next thing it sounds like your hairline is fairly low or/and fairly uneven. Maybe even your side burns are also low? That's why I said these units are not for everyone because if you have this kind of hairline - when you bring the unit forward to avoid your hair and glue/tape it down ... it will look kind of unreal like a Planet of the Apes low hair line. Not to say yours is that low .... :) I am just making a point that if your hairline is too low or uneven .. this will be a problem.

To get the hair fropm the unit out of the way when I apply the unit, I use hair clips to clips the unit hair back out of the way so that the hair does not get caught in the tape/glue. It takes practice. When i first started it took me about 3 hours to apply the unit but now it takes about 15 minutes to apply the unit - so you have to practice.

I don't have a high forehead like Tyra but I do have a fairly ample hairline so the taped unit does not go down very far at all.

I think the only way around this ... though it might be a bit wiggy looking .. is to cut in some bangs. This would hide the low hairline.

But for goodness sakes - stay away from the glue IN YOUR HAIR thingy girl! Aside from the mess it makes .. this is asking for trouble for your natural hair! Shocked

Aphelion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphelion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2013 at 6:34pm
Thank you!
Great post, you really helped me. Last timeI I applied I didnt get any glue in my hairline =)
kitkatkitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkatkitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 11:28am
You might want to give the TMM a try, though, or go with a glueless wig maybe. I was a hardcore glue user and decided out of nowhere to stop using it. I didn't know how much it was damaging my skin until I stopped. There's a lack of certainty when using glue about the absolute safety of the products. Printer Ink gave some great advice though.
There are some good threads on the forum, but youtube is the best when it comes to demonstrations as to different ways to apply your wig.
Aphelion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aphelion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2013 at 1:25pm
Do glueess full lace wigs actually hold down?
gaiagaia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gaiagaia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 7:12am

Thank you Printer_Ink!!!!!!
KittenWhip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KittenWhip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2013 at 9:36am
Printer_Ink, excellent suggestions.  Hope no one thought from my post that I was suggesting putting glue in your hair!Shocked
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic